E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2 months old and a few niggles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels
Thumbs up

I took delivery of my 520d in early September and have a couple of 'bedding in' issues. I would welcome any thoughts on how to resolve these (or is it going to have to be a trip to the dealer?)

1. The clutch pedal groans like an old wardrobe door when reaching the biting point under load (say when doing a steep hill start) (and no this is not my driving!). It then squeaks every time it is disengaged / engaged for a few miles.

2. The side repeat indicators on the front wings have a significant amount of condensation in them (has anyone else had this problem?), I would expect them to be watertight.

3. Wax is leaking out of the doors across the body panel along the bottom of the car (is this the rocker panel?). Whilst not so much of a problem, it has collected road dirt so looks a mess. I could clean this off myself, but was wondering firstly should this happen and secondly how to remove it without damaging the paint.

Other than that, really enjoying my first 5!

LM
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributors

1 & 2 - get down to the dealer. 1 - Shouldn't groan, and 2 - should be 100% water tight. And as you are going anyway, get them to sort out number 3 whilst you're there!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I've got an 520d also and have the same #2, and #3 problems as you, namely the condensation and dirty 'wax' problem.

Regarding the #2 problem, I thought it was perhaps due to temperatures varying....

I always thought that the #3 problem was oil leaking from the joints of the doors.... Also, my car's Titanium Silver so it's VERY OBVIOUS if i haven't washed the car for a few days, you see these dirty streaks....

BMW hasn't been helpful, other than that, that's about it...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='487353' date='Oct 29 2007, 09:27 AM

I took delivery of my 520d in early September and have a couple of 'bedding in' issues. I would welcome any thoughts on how to resolve these (or is it going to have to be a trip to the dealer?)

1. The clutch pedal groans like an old wardrobe door when reaching the biting point under load (say when doing a steep hill start) (and no this is not my driving!). It then squeaks every time it is disengaged / engaged for a few miles.

2. The side repeat indicators on the front wings have a significant amount of condensation in them (has anyone else had this problem?), I would expect them to be watertight.

3. Wax is leaking out of the doors across the body panel along the bottom of the car (is this the rocker panel?). Whilst not so much of a problem, it has collected road dirt so looks a mess. I could clean this off myself, but was wondering firstly should this happen and secondly how to remove it without damaging the paint.

LM
Re: #1, my clutch pedal performs similarly. Dealer attempted to fix by lubing - no dice. They are replacing the entire pedal unit on Wed., will report back after that.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='487353' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:27 AM

LM
The dealer will sort out 1&2 . # 3 is one of my pet niggles with the 5. The marks are caused by water dripping throughout the door frame and gathering all the road grime dust etc . The only way I have found to minimize this is to keep the door frames very clean and to blow the inside area dry with a leaf blower when you wash it. As for rain , well it will simply drip through and there it is again. I keep the side skirts highly waxed so most of the water and dirt drip off , just use a soft cloth and wipe it every time you see it forming. All 5s have this problem .

Good luck
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a trip to the dealer is unavoidable, I cannot live with the clutch pedal for much longer it is driving me nuts!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

that waxy substance is cosmoline, its common on many imported cars where its used to protect the exterior of the car...if there is any residue, it should go away after a year
Old 11-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='487353' date='Oct 29 2007, 01:27 PM

LM
I have also noticed that the 'number 7' button does not work properly. I have CD function stored in there, (it switches to CD when pressed), but it does not show you the preview of the function stored on the i-drive screen when you hover over the button. The other buttons are all working as expected, showing radio presets and aux etc. Must be a dodgy connection with my #7.

Anyone else out there noticed this?

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to the dealer I go...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='487353' date='Oct 29 2007, 01:27 PM

LM

Are you getting anywhere near the claimed 55mpg??
Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='489207' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:12 PM
Are you getting anywhere near the claimed 55mpg??
Nope, currently on around 45mpg whilst communting to work, it is the stop / start getting into town that is killing the economy. On a long run to Cornwall the other week I averaged 51.5mpg, which I thought was really good given car was fully loaded with the kitchen sink etc...

Quick Reply: 2 months old and a few niggles...