E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

172's Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='546125' date='Mar 17 2008, 08:09 AM

Anyway i live and learn, oh and my daughter got to see a lovely sunset
great attitude !
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
MAK
Members

Hi E60Scotland .... I can imagine how you feel but once the repairs are done and you see the new shiny rims the pain will ease.
A pity about the insurance angle.... I take it you have calculated the cost of a claim against the loss of your NCB. ?2k seems a lot of NCB. Anyway hope you will be pleased with the repairs.

BTW I may be in your neck of the woods in the next week or so.... any road I should avoid? ie, A or B road designation number.

Good Luck

Mak
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

OUCH
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by MAK' post='546422' date='Mar 17 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi E60Scotland .... I can imagine how you feel but once the repairs are done and you see the new shiny rims the pain will ease.
A pity about the insurance angle.... I take it you have calculated the cost of a claim against the loss of your NCB. ?2k seems a lot of NCB. Anyway hope you will be pleased with the repairs.

BTW I may be in your neck of the woods in the next week or so.... any road I should avoid? ie, A or B road designation number.

Good Luck

Mak
I wouldn't avoid any road tbh, the one where i had my incident is fairly narrow though, If your anywhere near Kilsyth, take the 'Tak-Me Doon Road', heading north into the hills for Stirling, It's a tight twisty drive, beware the stream as you head down the other side into the Carron Valley.

I found this video of some guy going down the stretch I went up (hope that makes sense), you'll see it was/is tight.

The video seems to be shot by the driver, damned fools doing this kind of stunt, especially in daylight on that road.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

you just wanted to enjoy your car a bit longer.. lol...so the sunset was like the 20% excuse to drive along that road....seems pretty narrow...but nice drive....
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

So i collected my car...

The Bill ?1769.77, did not need alignment so I guess i saved a few pounds.

Now the part which may cause me to go through my dealer like a dose of salts.

I was told ' the rims are damaged to the point of no repair ', Both my rims were in the car as i requested, the bloody tyres are still on the rims, my question? How could they possibly have determined they were damaged beyond repair?

I'm taking a deep breath and will be consulting a repair shop specializing in alloy wheel repairs, if they basically say 'no problem we do these all the time and the damage has not taken away any of the integrity of the alloy' at this point I'll be upset but with no come back on the dealer, for the record the rims cost new in the UK..... Rear ?343.83 + vat Front ?284.26 + vat at least that's the figures on my bill

I can't help feeling if i had had a second car to use I would have halved the cost of this unfortunate incident.

The upside ... the car is tracking true and the alloys are nice and fresh, no damage on any, lets see how long i can keep them like that

Oh and should they be repaired to as new, I'll let the UK 172 owners know, just in case you need one front or a rear one day
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='547001' date='Mar 18 2008, 06:19 PM
I'm taking a deep breath and will be consulting a repair shop specializing in alloy wheel repairs, if they basically say 'no problem we do these all the time and the damage has not taken away any of the integrity of the alloy' at this point I'll be upset but with no come back on the dealer, for the record the rims cost new in the UK..... Rear ?343.83 + vat Front ?284.26 + vat at least that's the figures on my bill
EACH??? ?1,500 for a set of 4 without tyres?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

That's very unfortunate. I'm going on two years without any damage to my 172s which I'm very surprised with considering how easy they are to curb or scratch.

The first thing I purchased when I had the rims fitted was the wheel protection plan which covers both the tires and rims from flats and any type of damage (except curb rash)

I already amortized the cost with a tire replacement where the cost of a brand new conti was pricier than the coverage.

Anyway....I feel for you! Its never fun to have to dish out that kind of money for something you already had!!

As long as the only damage was a rim and not someone...who cares!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='547001' date='Mar 19 2008, 12:19 AM
So i collected my car...

The Bill ?1769.77, did not need alignment so I guess i saved a few pounds.

Now the part which may cause me to go through my dealer like a dose of salts.

I was told ' the rims are damaged to the point of no repair ', Both my rims were in the car as i requested, the bloody tyres are still on the rims, my question? How could they possibly have determined they were damaged beyond repair?

I can't help feeling if i had had a second car to use I would have halved the cost of this unfortunate incident.

The upside ... the car is tracking true and the alloys are nice and fresh, no damage on any, lets see how long i can keep them like that

Oh and should they be repaired to as new, I'll let the UK 172 owners know, just in case you need one front or a rear one day
i think its better you save them for later..... at least you can drive your car with the spare until you feel better to pay the 2000 pounds...or not pay at all !!!