E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

16.2 Nerd notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve had 16.2 for a week now and here is my take as a detail nerd (please correct me if I have misunderstood or missed some things):

1. Perspective view in navigation - The clouds actually move. I do get names (streets, places, TMCwarnings etc) in perspective view also (european NAV disc)
2. New sidebar with shortcuts (only there when map is in left part of screen - which is kind of sad as I always have TMC there and the map on the right, arrows in the HUD)
Shortcuts is MUTE NAV, STOP GUIDANCE, MAP TARGET LOCATION SELECTION, MAP VIEW TYPE, ROUTE CRITERIA, INFO DISPLAY ON MAP (toggle on/off), SHOW TMC.
3. Don?t know if I?ve got MP3 (guess not since I have pronav)
4. Radio/CD stays muted on restart if it was muted before stopping.
5. Changes in active steering - I feel it might actually be a bit heavier (can be imagination). Steering wheel has gone out of center alignment though(mentioned also by other poster).
6. A-Z letters in the phone dialling (don?t know what this is for)
7. Symbol of Climate setting gone from iDrive screen bottom.
8. Navigation lady know tells two instructions at once if it is convenient (like when entering a motorway directly after turning onto a ramp)
9. When you have read a TMC message you now have to "climb" out by a return button instead of just pressing the iDrive knob to return to the TMC-list (really dumb change - why?)
10. Reprogramming of the resistfunction in the iDriveknob (resists on many more menu situations)
11. Better TMC reception (something was not right in v. 15.x)
12. iDrive screen brightness is now again controllable by dial (was gone for me in v. 15.x)

I?m not in the car now so I might have forgotten some stuff.

ps
On the PDC my car is now actually a touring (was a sedan until v.15.x)

best
objetti
Old 04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

1. Perspective view in navigation - The clouds actually move. I do get names (streets, places, TMCwarnings etc) in perspective view also (european NAV disc)
Good stuff!

I know the Perspective view is coming...but, I'd really like the TMC traffic integration here in the US...anyone know when/if that will happen?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by objekt' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:28 PM
I?ve had 16.2 for a week now and here is my take as a detail nerd (please correct me if I have misunderstood or missed some things):

[snapback]115854[/snapback]
Does anybody in the US still have streetnames in perspective mode? I've heard several people say they only have them in the other modes.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Not sure if it was an April Fools post, but someone mentioned that the blue sky changes dpending on Weather and time in you have WB. It would look strange if it showed blue sky when you are driving in the dark.

Any comments.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm thinking that was a joke. In the US, as far as I know, the WB doesn't transmit any data with regard to current weather conditions, etc.

I think BMW has more important software enhancements to worry about before wasting resources on a feature like that (traffic mapping, for example...)
Old 04-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Apr 15 2005, 06:00 PM
[quote name='objekt' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:28 PM']I?ve had 16.2 for a week now and here is my take as a detail nerd (please correct me if I have misunderstood or missed some things):

Does anybody in the US still have streetnames in perspective mode? I've heard several people say they only have them in the other modes.
[snapback]115871[/snapback]
[/quote]

I lose all street names when in perspective mode no matter how far zoomed in or out I am. It does display some town names though. The other 2 views (direction of travel, pointing north) show plenty of street names.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Perspective view does show fewer streets for sure, but the highway numbers and major streets still show.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LI545sport' date='Apr 15 2005, 09:57 PM
[quote name='Scott' date='Apr 15 2005, 06:00 PM'][quote name='objekt' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:28 PM']I?ve had 16.2 for a week now and here is my take as a detail nerd (please correct me if I have misunderstood or missed some things):

[snapback]115871[/snapback]
[/quote]

I lose all street names when in perspective mode no matter how far zoomed in or out I am. It does display some town names though. The other 2 views (direction of travel, pointing north) show plenty of street names.
[snapback]115944[/snapback]
[/quote]
Beside this, one new feature seems to be when using perspective view in the split window, approaching your turn toggles on the arrow view, so you get the street name and distance. After the turn, the perspective view resumes.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I thought I had the latest version but I don't get street names on perspective view only place names.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 16 2005, 03:32 PM
I thought I had the latest version but I don't get street names on perspective view only place names.
[snapback]116154[/snapback]
If the road is a major one (shown in as a numbered state or federal highway yellow or red on the map) you should be able to see the name. Otherwise, perspective view does not call out the street names.

Also, the name of the presently paired Bluetooth device now shows up in the black strip at the bottom of the I-Drive monitor.

Quick Reply: 16.2 Nerd notes