E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

135 miles and bam

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004 | 02:42 PM
Members

Was sitting at a stop light after loving the first 135 miles on my 2005 545 and bam.
Hit from the rear. Very furstrating to say the least. Park distance control and bumper are trash for sure. Anyone know if there are any systems in the rear bumper area that I should look out for?

The car is at the body shop and I just want to get it back in as new condition. I just wonder if the body shops are up on what's needed for these highly tecnologically advanced machines. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2004 | 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

There are only a handful BMW certified bodyshop in US and the only one in SoCal is in Irvine ( Spectrum Collision in Irvine, CA(http://www.spectrumcollision.com/promoise.htm) No, they aren't cheap!! But I understand that they can get the same paint "mixture" code of your car from the batch of the paint your car, when it was painted (by your VIN).

I also understand that the BMW VPC has the same set up. Either way, to make the new paint to blend in perfectly (and I know you just got your car) I would look into taking your car there.

beewang
Old 11-22-2004 | 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Depending on how hard the impact was, the body shop choice could be key. These cars are constructed using a rare technique that bonds aluminum to steel.

Many body shops are not equipped to work on these cars if the damage is extensive...
Old 11-22-2004 | 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

BMW recommends utilizing an electro spectrometer to match color for Silver Gray Metallic. I had my rear bumper repainted because of some scratches.
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:02 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear your story and hope everything will be fine .
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Nov 22 2004, 09:02 PM
sorry to hear your story and hope everything will be fine .
[snapback]59722[/snapback]
Several BMW dealers exclusively use Precison AutoBody on Tampa in Reseda
Website
Old 11-22-2004 | 11:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Exactly what I worry about. Would be devastated if it happened to me, so I can understand how you must feel.

I hope you're OK, and that it doesn't happen again.

Maybe try ordering the M-tech Sports bumper. Something good might become of this yet.
Old 11-22-2004 | 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Nov 23 2004, 03:07 AM
Exactly what I worry about. Would be devastated if it happened to me, so I can understand how you must feel.

I hope you're OK, and that it doesn't happen again.

Maybe try ordering the M-tech Sports bumper. Something good might become of this yet.
[snapback]59746[/snapback]
Thanks, good idea.
Old 11-22-2004 | 11:46 PM
Contributors

Hey Jared1234,

I feel your pain. I had to go in for minor body work not too long after I received my car. I HIGHLY recommend Marcos Autobody (the one in Pasadena), as there are two. They are both recommended body shops by New Century BMW. I'm assumming insurance is paying anyway, and Marcos is not cheap, but they are absolutely great! I think, rated by an outside source, they are in the top 7 of body shops in the U.S.! Absolutely professional and very quick. If you bring it in this week, you would have it back before the Malibu drive! But seriously, turn-around is very quick...I would never rush them anyway to get the best job done! They return the car to you washed and polished...with about 5 guys surrounding the car cleaning it up before the return it to you...as well as do a complete check of every electrical switch as you stand outside and observe that everything works. You can see the calibre of their work by all the cars that are coming out of there...all fairly new M3's, 7's. I think mine was the first E60 they took care of...still with the new plates! They are on Fair Oaks, just above the 134 Fwy. Contact me personally if you need any more details. You
Old 11-23-2004 | 07:47 AM
Senior Members

that is terrible. good luck

Quick Reply: 135 miles and bam