E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 faults???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I get up one morning, unlock my 2006 E60, try and start it and - not a peep. So I get on the phone to my insurance company (who provide breakdown assistance with my policy). The insurance company send out a local "mechanic" from a local garage.

He trys to jump start it with starter box. Nothing Happens. So he keeps the starter box attached to the battery and attaches another starter box to the connectors under the hud/bonnet. Nothing happens except the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and then goes blank.

The so called "mechanic" was supposed to give me 1 hour roadside assistance but after trying to jumpstart my car within 10 minutes he quits and say's "I'll have to tow it to your local garage".

48 hrs later my BMW garage call me and ask me "Was the car jumpstarted?", I say yes, he says "It looks like it got a jolt of 24 volts - the car is showing 13 faults" THIRTHEEN FAULTS!!!!

My car is in the BMW garage for over a week now. I need a car so I rang the insurance company who said "It's not on your policy to give a replacement car". Even though it was them who sent me that so called "mechanic".

I need advice guys - this could be very expensive to fix. The dealer says it is either the car got 24 volts or else the battery starter box was put on wrong way round. I am so peeed off.

HELP
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Oh man that sucks...why the hell did he hook up two batteries to 2 different parts of the car ?!? Some mechanic...I would go after the mechanic.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Oops double post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Wow, I don't know man.. I'd probably chase the mechanic too. There has to be some kind of basic assumption that the 'mechanic' the insurance company sends out knows his job & what he's doing, especially when he's toying around with an expensive beast, your e60. I'm not too sure of the implications of this fix, but I'm sure the answers will start pouring in soon. Did they tow you on a flatbed?

Originally Posted by Krozi
Oops double post
It's ok. Quintuple threads
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

double??
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I extended my BMW roadside assistance. That guy didn't know what he was doing.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Krozi
I would go after the mechanic.
+1 He should be bonded and insured.
If that fails then file a claim with your insurance.
Connecting two batteries at two different points should still yield only 12v at most.
Hopefully clearing error codes will get you going again and modules won't need replaced.
That gets you back to your original no start problem. Maybe you're due for a new battery?
Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
+1 He should be bonded and insured.
If that fails then file a claim with your insurance.
Connecting two batteries at two different points should still yield only 12v at most.
Hopefully clearing error codes will get you going again and modules won't need replaced.
That gets you back to your original no start problem. Maybe you're due for a new battery?
Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted!

2 batteries in series would combine the voltage which could be as much as 24V.
The car was reset - the errors still came back.
The BMW Dealer assures me that my batery is fine and does not need replacing.

I asked the dealer to file a report and email it to the breakdown insurance company stating he believes my car received 24 Volts which caused these errors.
The insurance company provided the dodgy mechanic - surely I should go after the insurance company and let them deal with the mechanic?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

two jumper boxes does not equal 24volts, unless he ran them in series, which he didnt and is impossible since he had one jumper in the rear and one in the front of the car.
the only thing he might have done is connect the cable backwards, or he had a bad jumper box.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
2 batteries in series would combine the voltage which could be as much as 24V.
Yup. Hopefully he wasn't able to accomplish that!

The insurance company should own up to the damage to your car since it was the
mechanic of their choice dispatched.
Would be great if your original no start issue is taken care of during these
other repairs.