E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 mile oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the M models their is a 1,200 mile service. After reading Mile Miller's Tech Talk feature in the June 2006 issue of Roundel (at p. 117) discussing his recommendation to change the oil in the engine, gearbox and differential. Long story short, post-break in oil changes rid the engine and drivetrain from metal shavings and one would assume, prolong their life.

Of course, this is not scheduled maintenance and comes out of our own pocket.

We all have parted with lots of money to drive these wonderful cars, is this early maintenance a step that we should be taking even if BMW NA doesn't pay for it?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Not be abrupt, but it has been dicsussed to death..."Search" !!

Not required according to BMW - no harm to do it anyway....has been the ultimate conclusion.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I did... I did it at about 3K miles... just the engine oil tho not the other stuff.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The M-engines are especial, and in so many ways.

The use differant oil (10W 60 Racing for the M5) compared the non-M-engines.

Normal E60 engines runs on 0 30W Long Life oils.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='302972' date='Jun 25 2006, 01:16 PM
The M-engines are especial, and in so many ways.

The use differant oil (10W 60 Racing for the M5) compared the non-M-engines.

Normal E60 engines runs on 0 30W Long Life oils.
Understood, but the point is to flush out the junk (metal shavings, etc) after break-in.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Where do people get the idea that a new engine's crankcase fills up with "metal shavings"? These things are built to very tight tolerances, and I can't imagine any significant "shaving" or "grinding" that takes place once a new engine is put into service. At the most, I can imagine some microscopic particles of metal, but the oil should be able to suspend them, as it is meant to do... The filter would safely remove any larger pieces, as it is meant to do... Experiences from engines many generations ago do not necessarily apply to modern machines, I think...
Old 06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I split the difference and changed the oil at 6000 miles. May not be needed but I feel better.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='303068' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:53 PM
Where do people get the idea that a new engine's crankcase fills up with "metal shavings"? These things are built to very tight tolerances, and I can't imagine any significant "shaving" or "grinding" that takes place once a new engine is put into service. At the most, I can imagine some microscopic particles of metal, but the oil should be able to suspend them, as it is meant to do... The filter would safely remove any larger pieces, as it is meant to do... Experiences from engines many generations ago do not necessarily apply to modern machines, I think...
If you are reference to "people" is me, I got my information, as indicated in my initial post, from Roundel magazine. I am certianily not a mechanical expert, that is why I asked the question.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I have followed the BMW break-in instructions to the letter, and my N52 engine hasn't needed a drop of additional oil in over 14 months and 9500 miles. The on-screen oil check only recently dropped from the top indicator to the next one down - at around the 1 yr mark. The car is going in soon for a 1 year oil service and for my initial list of repairs. It still hasn't been back to the dealer.

Many many many many people here have had to add oil to their N52s, so I figure I must be doing something right.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='303068' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:53 PM
Yep, machining operations are far more advanced today than years ago. Same holds for lubricants and additives.

Quick Reply: 1200 mile oil change