E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

10k Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. this is my first BMW and when I first got it I loved the drive, the power that came on demand... the handling that was so direct to the driver... the aggressive turnhead design. But coming from an Audi... I must say that BMW has room to improve on its interior fit and finish.

True, the BMW is designed with an atheletic appeal but there are things in the car that are just inexcuseable.

At about 3k miles, FTM started acting up and displaying false warning messages.
At about 5k miles, iDrive crashed. Got it replaced in a timely manner no problem.
At about 7k miles, just what I feared the most happened. The car started to have all kinds of rattles coming from the driver side a pillar, passenger side dash, rear shelf an center console.
At about 8k,miles the DTC went faulty and the steering become difficult.

And now, at 10k all of which are repaired and taken care of except for the annoying rattles. I think for a premium car is unacceptable.

I sometimes really wonder whether I should have gotten a different car.

Is it that BMW's are so well engineered that is causing to have this many problems..bcuz its seems like one little thing goes wrong will trigger many others.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by nubi-mer' post='305382' date='Jun 30 2006, 04:06 AM
Well.. this is my first BMW and when I first got it I loved the drive, the power that came on demand... the handling that was so direct to the driver... the aggressive turnhead design. But coming from an Audi... I must say that BMW has room to improve on its interior fit and finish.

True, the BMW is designed with an atheletic appeal but there are things in the car that are just inexcuseable.
At about 5k miles, iDrive crashed. Got it replaced in a timely manner no problem.
At about 7k miles, just what I feared the most happened. The car started to have all kinds of rattles coming from the driver side a pillar, passenger side dash, rear shelf an center console.

And now, at 10k all of which are repaired and taken care of except for the annoying rattles. I think for a premium car is unacceptable.

Is it that BMW's are so well engineered that is causing to have this many problems..bcuz its seems like one little thing goes wrong will trigger many others.

My car will reach 10K in about 300 miles or so... I have had it now nearly 15 months.

The only software defect I have is the false "High Battery Drain" error message. It happens rarely, and is a documented false alarm.

I have a minimum of rattles - certainly no more than when new. Haven't been back to the dealer yet since purchase, but plan to have them address this.

No crashes or other warnings/alerts.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Members

I have about 10k on my 550 and I have taken it to the dealer three times.

1. Power steering fluid leak (always nice to have the error message, "stop car immediately" on your way to work.
2. Burned more than a quart of oil (okay, this might be forgiveable)

3. Control steering sensor

My car has been in the shop almost three weeks waiting for the part. There may even be a recall on this as it seems to be wide spread.

I agree with you. Ultimate Driving Machine?

Originally Posted by nubi-mer' post='305382' date='Jun 30 2006, 01:06 AM

Old 06-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm very close to 10K and I have had 2 emissions error that came and went. 1 SMG software problem that was fixed with a software upgrade and 1 minor rattle in the rear shelf. Other than that no real problems. *knock on wood*
Old 06-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by davidmartin' post='305483' date='Jun 30 2006, 10:09 AM
I have about 10k on my 550 and I have taken it to the dealer three times.

1. Power steering fluid leak (always nice to have the error message, "stop car immediately" on your way to work.
2. Burned more than a quart of oil (okay, this might be forgiveable)

3. Control steering sensor

My car has been in the shop almost three weeks waiting for the part. There may even be a recall on this as it seems to be wide spread.

I agree with you. Ultimate Driving Machine?
Is your problem the active steering failure. Because I was able to drive mine until the part came in. And, it only took two days to get the part. But I think you should go get your car until the part comes in.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

I've got about 20k on mine. The first year was eventful. The second year was uneventful. I believe I have a winner.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have about 10000 miles and only things I had fixed were a faulty oil sensor and rear deck rattle, which were both fixed in one day.