E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

1 Rim Cracked 3 bent 3 rd set of tires in 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey E60 Net, Long time since I signed on. I guess the excitement of owning the 545i was long gone after year 1. It's a great car except for the rims & tires. I still get some eye catchers,maybe because there are no real WoW cars out there. My lease is up in 11/06 cant wait.

Ok back to the issue on hand. I went to Westchester BMW in White Plains NY. after my NY state inspection at a local gas station told be i had a bubble in the front tire. I was upset because Orange County BMW (where I purchased the car has already paid for 2 sets) ANyway I went to westchester bmw (because its closer) to find out if this was a defect. After inspection the lift. They told me all for rims were bent and I needed 4 new tires.

WOW I was flabergasted becaue I did not feel the car drove awkward. I was pissed with 11 month on the lease i had to dish out for Rims and tires. I said forget this and just got my car out of there and fast. See I have owned 4 BMW's in the past 5 years (330ci great car & x5 4.4 great car then to a x5 4.8 great car) Still have 4.8. where im getting act is I never bought any of them from Westchester BMW why u ask? Because the are rip offs. in Sales and Repairs. But their local so I go there for service.

I decided to live with Bubble in front tire untill the back tire now is losing air. I drove 30 miles today to Orange County BMW. They were honest and brought me in the service area to look under neath the car. this is what they found

Front wheel had bubble (I knew that) New Tire $315 (Crazy Price)
Back Tire was leaking air Becase rim is Cracked 450 for a new rim
All Rims were bent. (THey recomended only replacing cracked since I never felt vibration or pulling)

I like that they pointed it out to me and told me that all 3 tires are fine and I dont need to replace any except for the Bubble one.

So instead of buying 4 tires and 4 rims all i need is 1 tire and 1 rim. Went back to work and surfed Ebay.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Faze545i' post='229180' date='Jan 24 2006, 09:59 PM
Hey E60 Net, Long time since I signed on. I guess the excitement of owning the 545i was long gone after year 1. It's a great car except for the rims & tires. I still get some eye catchers,maybe because there are no real WoW cars out there. My lease is up in 11/06 cant wait.

Ok back to the issue on hand. I went to Westchester BMW in White Plains NY. after my NY state inspection at a local gas station told be i had a bubble in the front tire. I was upset because Orange County BMW (where I purchased the car has already paid for 2 sets) ANyway I went to westchester bmw (because its closer) to find out if this was a defect. After inspection the lift. They told me all for rims were bent and I needed 4 new tires.

WOW I was flabergasted becaue I did not feel the car drove awkward. I was pissed with 11 month on the lease i had to dish out for Rims and tires. I said forget this and just got my car out of there and fast. See I have owned 4 BMW's in the past 5 years (330ci great car & x5 4.4 great car then to a x5 4.8 great car) Still have 4.8. where im getting act is I never bought any of them from Westchester BMW why u ask? Because the are rip offs. in Sales and Repairs. But their local so I go there for service.

I decided to live with Bubble in front tire untill the back tire now is losing air. I drove 30 miles today to Orange County BMW. They were honest and brought me in the service area to look under neath the car. this is what they found

All Rims were bent. (THey recomended only replacing cracked since I never felt vibration or pulling)

I like that they pointed it out to me and told me that all 3 tires are fine and I dont need to replace any except for the Bubble one.

So instead of buying 4 tires and 4 rims all i need is 1 tire and 1 rim. Went back to work and surfed Ebay.
You either have really bad roads where you live or your a bad driver? That's a lot of tire/rim issues.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='229206

You either have really bad roads where you live or your a bad driver? That's a lot of tire/rim issues.
[/quote]
Wheel and tire insurance would have saved a bundle.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='229207' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:59 PM
Seriously, what happened to your rims?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Members

I live in NY NYC Suburbs Westchester County, Alot of Pot Holes and I am an aggressive driver.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Faze545i' post='229224' date='Jan 25 2006, 12:37 AM
I live in NY NYC Suburbs Westchester County, Alot of Pot Holes and I am an aggressive driver.
That would do it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='229208
[/quote]

i guess i hit to many potholes , while on cell phone
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Faze545i' post='229226
Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='229207' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:59 PM

i guess i hit to many potholes , while on cell phone
[/quote]

you need a hummer witht eh huge tires then or put 16s on your car and your rim will be protected. So sorry to hear that but it not your BMWs fault.. any car with low profile rim and tires will do the same...
Old 01-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Faze545i' post='229224' date='Jan 25 2006, 01:37 AM
Why in the world you blame BMW wheels and tires then? You need a tank, and even then you might complain about the price of new tracks! Unbelievable!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Faze545i' post='229180' date='Jan 24 2006, 10:59 PM

Hey Faze,
What you DON"T say is what tires Westchester was recommending. Could it be they were going to switch you over to 4 non-RFTs? In that case, you would be set for the balance of your lease and turn-in, and your would have a decent ride in the meantime, and your net outlay would be a LOT less than what you'll probably pay for 3 more RFTs before trade-in time. Maybe the other 3 tires are good to go for 11 mos., but based on their suggestion, I'm guessing you'll need to replace them or face getting dinged on wear and tear when you turn it in.

Just a thought...
Ray Hull
Dodging potholes 120 miles north of you.

Quick Reply: 1 Rim Cracked 3 bent 3 rd set of tires in 2 years