E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

09 550i Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM
DTD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.
Default 09 550i Oil Leak

Picked the car up from dealer last Tuesday. After much running around to figure out what the bad smell and smoke coming from the engine compartment when hood is opened one can see coming from the right side between Wheel well and Head; I have determined the Gasket at head and/or gasket at Head cover are leaking? Oil is dripping down on to exhaust pipe and exhaust sensor? Its a slow drip and occurs after running the car. I am not having the BMW experience. I am returning the Car to the dealer on Monday and telling them I dont want it and find me another 550i Car.
Not interested in them fixing it. 1st because they said they fixed the Valve Head Cover Gasket before I picked it up? I didn't question them. 2nd if the Valve Head Cover gasket is fixed now I feel the Head Gasket is blown. 3rd if I did have them fix it there is know telling what other items will go? Its got 53k miles. No warning lights come on, but not happy. I am going to have to see what other 550i cars they can find and I will wait for the right one.
Anyone have this occur and or know what the actual problem is? The oil leak is at the rear of N62 Engine at right rear. All I can see is the head and no other lines above the drip. Don't know if I can be convinced to take the car even in excellent shape it appears inside and out. I just dont know If I want to continue with it? Any insite?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Leak from rear can be crank shaft rear seal as far as I know. Change the oil more often instead BMW recommended 15k mile oil service. Old oil eats the gaskets.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Read up. Stated in forums that the 550 N62 motors commonly blow Valve Gaskets at heads? How often is this?
Going back to dealer where bought 6 days ago to either take back or get $hit straight. with some guanantee. Also read the Cooling system has issues and am addressing that with them. Good thing I have friends who will drive their vehicles 1.5 hrs in one direction. Feeling no excitement here.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Think I got it straightened out with Help from BMW!
Just got an '09 550i Tricked by BMW. Went to Dealership today. My Valve Gasket was leaking or maybe Head Gasket? Caused a foul order and was smoking. Saw first hand it was leaking on to Exhaust when I put on jack. Tha'ts why I drove the 1.5 hrs to dealership exactly one week later, I explained to Service man Lewis at Princeton BMW. Since CPO is good to 2-15; Lewis said don't worry about it! We will do a complete Upper rebuild. Re do Heads, all gaskets, any water line or gaskets and anything else we see will be redone. The N62 Motor has 53 k. He said its a 6k deal. You pay 50.00. I too am looking a an after market. Got the In-Tyre for 166 wheels and the LoJack Theft protection when purchased. I know the 545 and maybe some of the 550s have valve Cover Gasket problems so I believe Service man Lewis probably felt it was best to redo do entire top side maybe to keep even Oil pressure which I think could help with the Valve Cover Gaskets and other Gasket Parts. I am going to do a SEARCH to see what else is done when the Upper is Re-Built. Anyone else know what other ENGINE components will be covered/re-built other than heads, Gaskets, and I guess Water Coolant connections? Dan