E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'08 Sport Automatic Slam

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I have been vaguely aware of the "slam" or hard shift / out-of-gear issue from these boards, but had interpreted it to be an issue with prior-edition ZF 6's. Well, it occurred to me last night, in dramatic fashion as I was attempting to get on the highway. The first thing was within about 100 yards of where I started out and as I approached a traffic signal, a hard downshift (I guess) felt like I was being rear-ended. Then, as I rounded the corner and accelerated towards the onramp, I felt as if I had little to no power, though the rpms were turning up... I had to stop, finally realized something serious was continuing, put the car into Park (cars streaming around me on both sides), then into Drive again.... the car would not move forward. It actually felt like the brakes were locked up, but also perhaps was not in gear. I put it in Reverse a couple times, and could back up fine (as cars were avoiding me!), but I could not advance in Drive, or in Sport Automatic. Again, I'm not sure as I sit here whether it was only a brake lock-up or also the transmission not engaging -- I think both.

While not panicking, I was quickly coming to the realization a tow was going to be in my future, and was trying to remember how to dial up BMW when it occurred to me to shut the car down, then restart it. Just like a PC, the damn thing started up fine, went into Drive fine, and I drove away like nothing had happened. It functioned fine for the hour-plus it took to get home.

Have there been any other reports of this problem with the SAT? Recognizing that the SAT may be the same transmission mechanically as the Step, it's probably all the same phenomenon, but I had hoped and expected that BMW/ZF had it fixed by '08. Advice please?

Thanks,

Cal
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='772504' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:24 AM
I have been vaguely aware of the "slam" or hard shift / out-of-gear issue from these boards, but had interpreted it to be an issue with prior-edition ZF 6's. Well, it occurred to me last night, in dramatic fashion as I was attempting to get on the highway. The first thing was within about 100 yards of where I started out and as I approached a traffic signal, a hard downshift (I guess) felt like I was being rear-ended. Then, as I rounded the corner and accelerated towards the onramp, I felt as if I had little to no power, though the rpms were turning up... I had to stop, finally realized something serious was continuing, put the car into Park (cars streaming around me on both sides), then into Drive again.... the car would not move forward. It actually felt like the brakes were locked up, but also perhaps was not in gear. I put it in Reverse a couple times, and could back up fine (as cars were avoiding me!), but I could not advance in Drive, or in Sport Automatic. Again, I'm not sure as I sit here whether it was only a brake lock-up or also the transmission not engaging -- I think both.

While not panicking, I was quickly coming to the realization a tow was going to be in my future, and was trying to remember how to dial up BMW when it occurred to me to shut the car down, then restart it. Just like a PC, the damn thing started up fine, went into Drive fine, and I drove away like nothing had happened. It functioned fine for the hour-plus it took to get home.

Have there been any other reports of this problem with the SAT? Recognizing that the SAT may be the same transmission mechanically as the Step, it's probably all the same phenomenon, but I had hoped and expected that BMW/ZF had it fixed by '08. Advice please?

Thanks,

Cal
Wow!!! That's quite a lot that you went through. First of all, I am glad that you survived this. I mean to have to stop in the middle of the highway while cars are trying to avoid you sounds very, very dangerous. Thank God that there was no 18-wheeler right behind you, otherwise you'd be wearing it today.

It almost sounds criminal that BMW still puts out cars that have such dangerous faults. I wonder how many BMW drivers have to die before the government steps in and forces the company to do something. Sounds like this may have been an electronics issue. If that's the case, maybe it's time for BMW to bring in some real EE's and computer gurus into their folds. What they have now is just not good enough.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

To clarify, I wasn't yet on the highway. I was on a two-lane approach from the intersection to the on-ramp. Luckily the double-lanes provided people an option, and their speed at that location was 30-40mph. Less dramatic than it may have sounded, but unnerving to say the least.
Cal
Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

There was a TSB or a round table on the SAT issues, I think one of the newer DMS software revisions that was released in the past 6 months specifically dealt with it.

I may be crazy , but there have been some slamming/ jerkiness issues with the SAT.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='772513' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:33 PM
Wow!!! That's quite a lot that you went through. First of all, I am glad that you survived this. I mean to have to stop in the middle of the highway while cars are trying to avoid you sounds very, very dangerous. Thank God that there was no 18-wheeler right behind you, otherwise you'd be wearing it today.

It almost sounds criminal that BMW still puts out cars that have such dangerous faults. I wonder how many BMW drivers have to die before the government steps in and forces the company to do something. Sounds like this may have been an electronics issue. If that's the case, maybe it's time for BMW to bring in some real EE's and computer gurus into their folds. What they have now is just not good enough.
"I wonder how many BMW drivers have to die before the government steps in ..." porche911targa are you serious? Perhaps 500,000 e60 sold and you think this (over a transmission fault?) Wow. Perhpas you have the solution there in Massachusetts. It wouldn't fly in Colorado...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

WOW...mine has been flawless.

Hope you get this pinpointed and resolved quick.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, mine had been superb too, for 14K miles, two track days, and some spirited fun occasionally. I was just plodding to get home last night, though, when this happened. Now I'm paying attention to every shift, every feel.... I did push it up the hills tonight, and it was fine however. I have an appointment next week to have them take a look.

Cal
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributors

I did experience a transmission slam in my SAT, but not nearly with the same dramatic fashion as your own. My slam occurred while pulling out of the median in front of my neighborhood into a 55 mph zone. Sport mode was activated, and the engine was still "cold." I have since waited several minutes/miles before activating Sport mode, without incident. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by juris335' post='773070' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:12 PM
"I wonder how many BMW drivers have to die before the government steps in ..." porche911targa are you serious? Perhaps 500,000 e60 sold and you think this (over a transmission fault?) Wow. Perhpas you have the solution there in Massachusetts. It wouldn't fly in Colorado...
Juris, had a bad day? Sorry about that.

Would you mind explaining to me what about my thought warranted such an aggressive and over-the top reply? Please explain it to me rationally and after you get over your anger. I'd really appreciate that.