E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'08 550i 6MT vs '04 545i SMG

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove my new '08 550i Sport 6MT home yesterday, and left my poor '04 545i Sport SMG back at the dealer

Some initial thoughts as I eat lunch at work...I'll try to keep them focused on the issues I was unclear about when choosing the 550i:

1. No SMG - I had an Auto 540i, an SMG 545i, and now this 6MT 550i. I have never driven a manual car before, and SMG was a great choice. I absolutely loved this technology and hated to see it was gone. Since SMG convinced me that torque convertor = bad and clutch = good, I decided to just be a man and get the manual. I'm familiar with how to drive a manual, and was already matching revs smoothly as I approached my home. The car is hard to stall (probably a function of the power). I showed my newbie colors when I tried to back out of my inclined driveway, though

Conclusion: Manual was better choice for someone coming out of SMG. If sport auto has even one characteristic of an automatic (lag, feels like a rubber band, car won't let you make mistake, etc) then I am glad I didn't get it.

2. Power - Car isn't broken in yet. Maybe it's just me, but I swear my 545i got more powerful after the first 2-3k miles. This car feels like it's not going to dissapoint...but I didn't push it incredibally hard.

Conclusion: Feels like it's going to be a rocket; especially when I hone in my shifting skills.

3. Style / Carbon Black - When the car was sitting in the ready position at the dealership as I was waiting to sign papers, a ton of people couldn't stop walking around, smiling, etc. It was a huge hit.

Conslusion: People love the looks of this car. Carbon Black is not black (but it's not blue). I describe it as black, but if you look at the reflection (of the sun, for example) the shiny parts are blueish, and the shadows are black. You're going to have to see the color for yourself, all the pictures I saw don't do it justice. I'll be Zaino'ing as soon as I can.

4. Anthracite headliner - cool; probably not worth the money but you're spending alot already. it feels like a mix of suede and fabric...but it's a moot point because you basically touch it once and then forget it...it's not like you're rubbing your headliner as you drive (I hope not).

Conclusion: If $700 means a hell of a lot to you, don't get the headliner.

5. Interior - looks great. Love what they did. Love the anthracite bamboo trim...I was originally worried I wouldn't.

Conclusion: What part of "looks great" didn't you understand?

6. Other - Boss is calling, have to run. Will try to add more as it comes to me. Ask questions if you want specific answers!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

I want to be the first to congratulate you on your new sparkling ride.
CB carbon black is hot, mine will have CB creme beige interior for contrast.
Thanks for the report, I am getting 6sp manuel tranny too.

How does the new M exhaust sound? Much deeper than your 545i I suppose, did you notice the difference of the new 550i exhaust tips?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Does the '08 550 Sport indeed have a new "M Suspension" along with the Anti Roll Stabilization, or does it feel the same as your old 545.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Congrats!

I wish you much patience during the running in period. I'm struggling like crazy to hold back.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Congrats on your car and thanks for the write-up. I really need to see a carbon black car in person but I've only heard great things about the color!

I'm taking the sport automatic plunge after my awesome SMG experience so it'll be interesting to see things from that perspective. Keep in mind that I've driven/owned manuals exclusively my entire life so for me, after driving the SMG for over three years, it's hard to go back to using the left foot again...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 AM
sol
Members

Congrats. Just put 1100 on mine (auto) and starting to have more fun with it. No regrets about the CB either. Enjoy yours.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='430789' date='Jun 1 2007, 10:06 AM
Does the '08 550 Sport indeed have a new "M Suspension" along with the Anti Roll Stabilization, or does it feel the same as your old 545.
I have the 08 550i Step with Sport Package. It does have M-Sport suspension. Last week, (Not broken in--whatever that means)I was taking her thru Laguna Canyon on the twisties at a "higher" speed than what was posted on the signs---and she handles better than the M-3 I use to drive.

There is also zero lag in Manual Mode for this new Step tranny. It's amazingly fast at low RPM's.

Congrats on your purchase. I myself have seen the Carbon Black up close(sat in one actually)and it appears Deep Blue/Purple to me in Focused light. It is a truly unique color and one that will impress everybody for sure. I would get your rims Black ASAP to really enhance it's appearance.

SoCal
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Congrats!

Yank the clutch delay valve and you'll be set.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see pics. How is the short throw shifter?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on the new 550 and enjoy.

Quick Reply: '08 550i 6MT vs '04 545i SMG