E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 550 vs 07 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, everyone is talking about 535 but how about big brother 550?
What exactly changed in engine, drivetrain and suspention department?
Like for many folks here my lease is almost up and also have a desision to make: 550 or not which is currently number 1 on my list.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

The LCI 550 with the sport package inlcludes a new "retuned" sport suspension, new 19-inch 172 wheels, new exhaust note and new exhaust tips.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by alex123' post='434505' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:39 AM
So, everyone is talking about 535 but how about big brother 550?
What exactly changed in engine, drivetrain and suspention department?
Like for many folks here my lease is almost up and also have a desision to make: 550 or not which is currently number 1 on my list.

Honestly.....

Everything. The interior is much better and refined. What they've done to the seats (Dakota Leather)is remarkable. My buddy drives an S 550 MBZ and he rode with me yesterday. He was majorly impressed with seat comfort level and headrest maneuverability and extension saying it was dramatically enhanced.

i-Drive is faster and iPod functionality is also faster. Bluetooth is working amazingly well with Verizon Blue tooth(suprising to say the least---Big Ups to BMW here). I have the new Blackberry 8830 World Phone(great phone BTW)

As far as performance goes.....I have said this before and I will reiterate again. This engine has been modified a bit by BMW. I'm sure once the Dinan boys figure it out they'll admit it. It's faster than the 07 and the tranny is leaps and bounds improved. I keep reading these posts here about the 535 being "as fast" or "almost as fast" as the 550? I half to believe (as stated multiple times before)they are comparing to 07 550i's without sport package. The cars don't even compare from a handling-and performance standpoint and I drove them back to back twice.

I have the Steptronic and it's wonderful in Manual Mode. It has a very good amount of low end torque and the shifting is radically improved and faster. It will be very interesting to see these cars Dynoed. I will also enjoy seeing how the Sport Automatic improves the performance over the Step and Manual.

The ride and handling is amazing. The 19's without Run Flats give a superb ride and obviously the M-Aero Dynamics and Suspension dramatically improve the performance in many ways.

This is clearly the best 550i yet from BMW and paves the way for the next super 550 car which is rumored to be a V-8 Twin turbo. We'll see. Also---is there a possible "surprise" link to the new M3 V-8 in this version? Only BMW knows.

So Cal
Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Are you saying that the sport-package 550i's are now coming WITHOUT runflats?

-Robert A

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='434626' date='Jun 11 2007, 11:00 AM
Honestly.....

Everything. The interior is much better and refined. What they've done to the seats (Dakota Leather)is remarkable. My buddy drives an S 550 MBZ and he rode with me yesterday. He was majorly impressed with seat comfort level and headrest maneuverability and extension saying it was dramatically enhanced.

i-Drive is faster and iPod functionality is also faster. Bluetooth is working amazingly well with Verizon Blue tooth(suprising to say the least---Big Ups to BMW here). I have the new Blackberry 8830 World Phone(great phone BTW)

As far as performance goes.....I have said this before and I will reiterate again. This engine has been modified a bit by BMW. I'm sure once the Dinan boys figure it out they'll admit it. It's faster than the 07 and the tranny is leaps and bounds improved. I keep reading these posts here about the 535 being "as fast" or "almost as fast" as the 550? I half to believe (as stated multiple times before)they are comparing to 07 550i's without sport package. The cars don't even compare from a handling-and performance standpoint and I drove them back to back twice.

I have the Steptronic and it's wonderful in Manual Mode. It has a very good amount of low end torque and the shifting is radically improved and faster. It will be very interesting to see these cars Dynoed. I will also enjoy seeing how the Sport Automatic improves the performance over the Step and Manual.

The ride and handling is amazing. The 19's without Run Flats give a superb ride and obviously the M-Aero Dynamics and Suspension dramatically improve the performance in many ways.

This is clearly the best 550i yet from BMW and paves the way for the next super 550 car which is rumored to be a V-8 Twin turbo. We'll see. Also---is there a possible "surprise" link to the new M3 V-8 in this version? Only BMW knows.

So Cal
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='434710' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:13 PM
Are you saying that the sport-package 550i's are now coming WITHOUT runflats?

-Robert A
Accurate. The '08 550i ZSP has 19" NON-runflats. The ones I've seen have ContiSportContact2's.

Lou
Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='434711' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:16 PM
Accurate. The '08 550i ZSP has 19" NON-runflats. The ones I've seen have ContiSportContact2's.

Lou

Correct.

Mine has it exactly.

Wonderful car.

So Cal
Old 06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='434626' date='Jun 11 2007, 01:00 PM
Honestly.....

So Cal
HMMMM !

I bought the last week production 07 550 msport, and my wife has a new 08 550 msport. The difference between the two is "O" in performance and handling. Some subjective styling issues on the interior and the front headlights IMO are it . In fact the 07 has the aluminum cube trim interior which looks awesome IMO which you can not get in ther 08 . The 08 is awesome !

But so is the 07 ! the difference is like picking mice crap out of the pepper !

Cheers
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='434626' date='Jun 11 2007, 01:00 PM
Honestly.....

So Cal

I have the 07 550i. the 07 has the exact same seats as the 08. I know the 08 has leather on the center armrest, and the door pockets are larger in the 08 oh and the knobs are slightly different, but it truely sounds like you work for BWM marketing the way you comment on the 08. Its not the F-10, basically its the same car as the 07.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

New colours for 08.
Space grey, platinum grey, carbon black.

Interior got natural tan leather.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='434845' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:46 PM
HMMMM !

I bought the last week production 07 550 msport, and my wife has a new 08 550 msport. The difference between the two is "O" in performance and handling. Some subjective styling issues on the interior and the front headlights IMO are it . In fact the 07 has the aluminum cube trim interior which looks awesome IMO which you can not get in ther 08 . The 08 is awesome !

But so is the 07 ! the difference is like picking mice crap out of the pepper !

Cheers
I just figured it out. You are in Canada. In the US we were not offered the Msport suspension until 2008.