E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 535xi needs body work...also my first post

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xi
Default 08 535xi needs body work...also my first post

Yep, I was in Vermont celebrating new years and my ride got banged up. I'm definitely going to pay for the body work but I am also looking to minimize my loses. I was hit by a Hyundai and his car was totaled.

The scariest part about this was the drive to my rental condo. There was heavy snow and my tie rods were shot. On top of that, I didn't have cell phone service. I've been trying to come to terms with with the insurance companies but it is looking pretty uphill.

Aside from all of that, I am looking forward to fixing my car.

I got the tie rods fixed in Vermont and it the price was very reasonable. In addition, my car needs a new bumper, a new left headlight, a new fender, and windshield fluid compartment needs to be replace, plus several other damages around. I'm thinking about getting an M5 replica bumper, possibly buying a OEM headlight used on Craigslist, and an OEM fender.

I'm also looking for a good shop that is reasonably priced. So far I got one estimate for $4,500 at a shop in Morris County. I live in Hoboken, so I would prefer to get my car fixed up around town. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dhun; 03-31-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I haved used Weber Brothers Auto for used parts frequently. You can probably grab a front bumper, headlights etc.

Weber Brothers Auto - Vehicles
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sapphire black -18' M5 wheels -Sport pack -LED Angel's

This guy is located on Maspeth ave in Brooklyn NY. They only rebuild and service BMW's and they have rebuilt our M3. You can reach him at (718) 415-3315. His name is Bart and be sure to mention to him that the guys with the M3 sedan from Albany sent you.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so you were hit by a hyundai? wont his insurance cover your car?
and why would you cancel your collision insurance?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
so you were hit by a hyundai? wont his insurance cover your car?
and why would you cancel your collision insurance?
I called Geico (my insurance company) first and described the situation. Basically it was snowing out and I had to make a left with a lot of traffic on both sides. A car signaled right to turn onto the road I was on, so I creep ed up to block traffic. As I inched up some more to look at the other side of traffic. the Hyundai comes out of nowhere (because of the snow, I thought there was only one lane since cars were just lining up). I drove back to Vermont last weekend to get my car. When driving back to where the accident happened, I saw that there was a right turn only lane, and a left lane for normal traffic. I was trying to make an argument that kid was trying to illegally pass normal traffic by speeding up in the median. I have photo evidence of his car crashing and ending up on the other side of traffic. I also have a photo of my crashed car directly in the median. I found it odd that the claims adjuster was very stubborn and insisted I was at 100% fault for the accident. After doing some research, I found out that claims adjusters have some hidden motives in doing such a thing.

I dropped my collision coverage because it costs about a grand a year. This would have been the first time in my life that I would have used it. But in the long run, I should save.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by dhun
I called Geico (my insurance company) first and described the situation. Basically it was snowing out and I had to make a left with a lot of traffic on both sides. A car signaled right to turn onto the road I was on, so I creep ed up to block traffic. As I inched up some more to look at the other side of traffic. the Hyundai comes out of nowhere (because of the snow, I thought there was only one lane since cars were just lining up). I drove back to Vermont last weekend to get my car. When driving back to where the accident happened, I saw that there was a right turn only lane, and a left lane for normal traffic. I was trying to make an argument that kid was trying to illegally pass normal traffic by speeding up in the median. I have photo evidence of his car crashing and ending up on the other side of traffic. I also have a photo of my crashed car directly in the median. I found it odd that the claims adjuster was very stubborn and insisted I was at 100% fault for the accident. After doing some research, I found out that claims adjusters have some hidden motives in doing such a thing.

I dropped my collision coverage because it costs about a grand a year. This would have been the first time in my life that I would have used it. But in the long run, I should save.
you should have called a cop to write a report. let him figure who's at fault.

and get rid of geico, and i'm surprised that even after this accident that will cost you a few thousand, that you still think you're better off without full coverage.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you should have called a cop to write a report. let him figure who's at fault.

and get rid of geico, and i'm surprised that even after this accident that will cost you a few thousand, that you still think you're better off without full coverage.
I am going to dump them as soon as this claim is over. Also, I did file a police report. He wasn't able to determine who was at fault. As for insurance, my rates are very high. It would cost 1 grand a year for collision coverage with a 1 grand deductible. This accident will cost me around 4 grand if I don't get any insurance money. So if I do not get into an accident where I am at fault for 2 years, I would already break even.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Anyone with an 08 is just foolish to have no collision.
If your car was totalled it would only take 25-30 years to recover your costs.
You have an expensive car that is expensive to repair so get collision for the next one.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Anyone with an 08 is just foolish to have no collision.
If your car was totalled it would only take 25-30 years to recover your costs.
You have an expensive car that is expensive to repair so get collision for the next one.
I guess I will think about it when I switch insurance companies.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
New Members

04 09 BMW E60 5 Series 530i 535i 545i 550i Prime Driver Left Fender Replacement | eBay
Should I buy this. Bother body shops I went to wanted more than $400 for this.

Quick Reply: 08 535xi needs body work...also my first post