E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

06 BMW 530I DRAINS BATTERY OVERNIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Do you have comfort access? How far do you keep the key away from the car? Also, my car has a weird sleep issue if I leave a CD in the CD drive.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think so. i have the fuse for it. how does comfort access work? how can i make sure that i have it

yea sleep mode is totally garbage. mercedes is much better in that sense. WHAT KIND OF PROBLEM DO YOU HAVE WITH SLEEP MODE? i am trying to find a way to deactivate some how. keep checking up.
any help in that matter would totally be appreciated
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Members

ususally where i hang the key is about 25feet. could that be the problem as well?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Here's some info on comfort access. I guess 25 feet should be fine, but check on the car without your keys so that you won't be waking it up if you have comfort access.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ss_system.html

Mine basically takes longer to sleep if there was a CD in the drive.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

no i dont have comfort access however i have fuse for it but car doesnt start without the key.

does anyone know where can i find the main wire which gives power to all the sleep mode?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

I've had this problem twice now in 3 yrs. have you recently unplugged anything in the car with out disconnecting the battery first. this is what killed my Body control unit (i think thats it's name) it controls the sleep mode of the car. it would stop the car going to sleep and discharge the battery over night. it would like to set the alarm off at 2am in the morning, just to let me know it was still there.

If this is the problem, and you don't have warranty it's expensive. I had it done last month at £1700 I did get a good will claim from BMW UK to cover the part and only ended up paying £609 as it was the second time it had happened in 14 months.

A simple test to check the battery not duff, disconnect it over night, check the voltage when you disconnect and before you reconnect it in the morning. If there not a lot of change and you can start the car without a problem them your battery is most likely not the fault. (If this is wrong please someone let me know,)

To save yourself the hassle of a flat battery in the morning just pull the neg- terminal off in the evening. won't solve the problem just save you having to get the charger out in the morning.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by my_galaxy
thanks guys
when car is started amp reading is 14.65v when its off its about 12.65. and slowly it goes low and low. i think the current flow is about 1.14 when car is off.

PS. just for knowledge i spoke to bmw they say you dont have to program the battery as long battery is not disconnected from the car for long period of time.

is there any way i can disconnect sleep mode so car shuts off everything as soon i shut it off? like other basic cars. man this bmw is nightmare. had and have mercedes but never had problem with them
thanks
jag
It means than your alternator is charging correctly, but the problem is: SLOWLY GOING DOWN. what is exactly the lowest voltage you can get?

Looks like the battery doesn't hold it's charge. If is only a year old, you should still have the warranty, go back to the store and claim new one.

My problem was when I had old battery I turned the ignition on and after 10-20 seconds I had the "High battery discharge" on the screen, I have changed the battery for new one and.... it is completely different story, I have the ignition on for 20 minutes without any problem. Also the when I'm starting the car - it has completely different sound - much more healthier. No more problems for me.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Check the IBS lead.

This is the lead where it comes from the battery. It has a sensor on it and stops the car from going to sleep properly and causes a drain.

Get AAA or a local garage to do a drain test on the battery before buying a new one.

BMW relapced my lead and battery under warranty (It was a used car warranty)

Quite a common problem as the leads get wet ot deteriorate and then go fault

May need to go on diagnostic at dealer as it could be many things.

It should go to sleep after 30mins if it does not have bluetooth kit

After 1 hour if it has bluetooth.

Check the orange light by the auto gearshift and when this orange leight goes out it has gone to sleep
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

My car was having a similar problem where in the morning the clock would have to be reset and the error message would say "excessive battery drain has been detected." I noticed that the left rear tail light was flickering at the same time and discovered that the connector was loose and shorting out. When I disconnect the connector for the tail light the car does not have an issue. I guess I am off to the dealer for repair.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 PM
New Members

My 2007 530i is having a similar issue. Last weekend the idrive system completely shut down but would sporadically turn back on. Due to the holidays and work I have not had time to visit the dealership. Today I noticed a fan/exhaust sound coming from behind the in dash cd player and staying on. The push button start and lights around the cd/dvd drives stay illuminated. I am getting a caution sign but dont know what it means because the idrive display will not come on at all. A little over a year ago, the dealer replaced the entire computer due to weather seals in the trunk leaking and frying the system. At that time they also replaced the battery. I have no idea what is causing this and am a little worried due to my warranty conveniently expiring a few months ago. Any advice?

Quick Reply: 06 BMW 530I DRAINS BATTERY OVERNIGHT