E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

06 BMW 530I DRAINS BATTERY OVERNIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys i have 2006 bmw 530i it drains the battery over night. i think the problem is with the sleep mode. on my car start push button and green light on headlight switch glows green. when i shut off the car they shut off too after couple minutes however i went back after an hour or so. both of the buttons start glowing and shuts off after a minute or so and start glowing again. it goes in the pattern. is there any fuse i can pull out to disconnect that sleep system. or any other solution will be appreciated. does anyone has the same problem thanks jag
Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Members

hmm, don't have the push start, but i know that the gear box light is on a while. Common cause of battery being flat is no water in the battery. The alternator cannot charge it if this is the case, but still run the car as you drive...
Check the fluids.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Sounds more like your battery is not holding a charge properly. Even if the battery is new, it can malfunction. The best solution is to replace it with one from local store unless you feel like giving your money away to the dealer at $400. If that solves it, go ahead and have the battery registered. There is a slight current drain to keep electronics memory in tact but not enough to drain a good battery for a month or longer.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Members

thanks guys .. battery is less than a year old reading with the volt meter is 12.60 and then it becomes low but car doesnt go into sleep mode. is there any fuse for that or can i disconnect something so when i turn off the ignition all power shut off like other cars. also do i have to register the new battery to the car? if yes how. thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Do you have anything hookup like a iPod interface in the glove box or maybe cell phone charger etc ... try to disconnect them as they may prevent the car to sleep properly.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

From what I understand, you have to get the dealer to register the new battery. It sets the proper amperage settings so the battery is charged correctly. There have been some threads about using a scan tool to do it. You can search for them for more info.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Check your alternator also.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by my_galaxy
thanks guys .. battery is less than a year old reading with the volt meter is 12.60 and then it becomes low but car doesnt go into sleep mode. is there any fuse for that or can i disconnect something so when i turn off the ignition all power shut off like other cars. also do i have to register the new battery to the car? if yes how. thanks for your help.
Man. Unfortunately, this seems like another case of installing a new battery without registration and then the battery messes up a year later. From what I understand, registering the battery resets the car's charging system so that it will recalibrate itself with the new battery so that it can charge it properly. Without registration, the car probably still thinks you have the old battery in and under charging it. Constantly under charging a new battery can prematurely wear it out. Call an independent to see if they can register it for you. Hopefully this can save your battery.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Members

thanks guys
when car is started amp reading is 14.65v when its off its about 12.65. and slowly it goes low and low. i think the current flow is about 1.14 when car is off.

PS. just for knowledge i spoke to bmw they say you dont have to program the battery as long battery is not disconnected from the car for long period of time.

is there any way i can disconnect sleep mode so car shuts off everything as soon i shut it off? like other basic cars. man this bmw is nightmare. had and have mercedes but never had problem with them
thanks
jag
Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Members

anyone with battery draining problem because of sleep mode follow this thread for help and follow up

ok i think i am coming close to the problem. when i shut off my car system stayed normal. sleep mode after about 1 minute and continious current was about .19-.26 but for some reason as battery got little bit low 12.24v sleep mode started acting up. went to sleep after one minute woke up after 5 seconds and kept on doing that.

-AS PER MY KNOWLEDGE anyone with similar problem. check the continious current and start pulling out fuses. It might lead you to the problem. let me know if i can be the help

Quick Reply: 06 BMW 530I DRAINS BATTERY OVERNIGHT