E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05 sirius retrofit with used satellite module

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i
Default 05 sirius retrofit with used satellite module

I have a question about a retrofit with a used satellite module. I was just told that because my computer hasn't been programmed for satellite before I need a brand new unit. I bought a used one off Ebay but can't use it because it's already been programmed with the previous cars VIN number. Is there a way I can get that to work without having to purchase a brand new unit?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

You can search the forum for the how to for installing the satellite receiver. Then code the car to accept the receiver and place it on the idrive. Then you need to contact Srius and give them the ID of the receiver which take a few hours to update in their system.

Here is one DIY: https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...all-diy-53238/

There are a few out there. If you want to take this on yourself, take the time to research. The how to's are good if you are reasonably handy.

As for coding: BMW Coding Forum
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
New Members

Yeah i read the coding part. Problem is that my car has never had Satellite installed and the module I have is off another that was coded. I'm told by a BMW dealer and a shop that codes BMW computers that I can't use it because it was already used in another car. The reason being because my car has never been programmed and for the computer to be programmed for satellite I need a brand new unit.

It's kind of lame but looks like if I want satellite I need to buy a brand new module from BMW. Thanks for responding
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Nvelez
Yeah i read the coding part. Problem is that my car has never had Satellite installed and the module I have is off another that was coded. I'm told by a BMW dealer and a shop that codes BMW computers that I can't use it because it was already used in another car. The reason being because my car has never been programmed and for the computer to be programmed for satellite I need a brand new unit.

It's kind of lame but looks like if I want satellite I need to buy a brand new module from BMW. Thanks for responding
The coding tools being discussed within these forums are a bit more, um, liberal and tolerant than those used by the dealership. In short, follow the threads and you'll be fine if you have the coding tools. Being up in the bay, there are members who code who may be able to assist you if you don't. Members here - myself included - have done CCC retrofits, a much more involved task, successfully with used units and recoding. The tool will write your correct VIN to the module if done correctly. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The VIN number stored in the satellite module can be changed by coding.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Members

Agreed. I bought my module used from eBay and the install and coding went smoothly. Working fine with no issues for about a year now.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
New Members

Thanks for the advice. Wife just got back from BMW and they were trying to charge 1800 for an install of a new unit. No thanks. She's going to look for some BT streaming options she heard about.

Thanks for you help