E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'05 545i vs. '06 530xi Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I'm currently driving an '04 Infiniti G35 Coupe (please don't flame me for that) and I've always liked and wanted a 5 series. I was (and still am) big on the E39 chassis 540, but considering the potential for breaking my bank, I'm going in the E60/61 direction. In any case, I was hoping that someone on here could give me a few pointers for purchasing either car mentioned in the title. Having driven a '97 MB E420, I love the performance that a V8 can deliver, so that's why I like the 45. However, I do like the features of the sport wagon (AWD, panoramic roof), even though it's a 6. Anyone with experience on both fronts?

I'm looking to spend about 23-26K, with about 50,000 on the dash. THESE are the main factors. I bought the G with 21,xxx but ending up paying way too much for it.

I'm a New Yorker, so I will see some snow, but that honestly doesn't bother me enough to solely want the xi. Also, the mileage won't kill me either. All I know is that I would like to step into a larger car.

PS: Anyone with experience with the Infiniti M '06-Up?

Thanks in advance you guys, hope to join your ranks soon.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by Breezo' post='745445' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:40 AM
Hello all. I'm currently driving an '04 Infiniti G35 Coupe (please don't flame me for that) and I've always liked and wanted a 5 series. I was (and still am) big on the E39 chassis 540, but considering the potential for breaking my bank, I'm going in the E60/61 direction. In any case, I was hoping that someone on here could give me a few pointers for purchasing either car mentioned in the title. Having driven a '97 MB E420, I love the performance that a V8 can deliver, so that's why I like the 45. However, I do like the features of the sport wagon (AWD, panoramic roof), even though it's a 6. Anyone with experience on both fronts?

I'm looking to spend about 23-26K, with about 50,000 on the dash. THESE are the main factors. I bought the G with 21,xxx but ending up paying way too much for it.

I'm a New Yorker, so I will see some snow, but that honestly doesn't bother me enough to solely want the xi. Also, the mileage won't kill me either. All I know is that I would like to step into a larger car.

Imho, you get more driving pleasure from a RWD i.o AWD BMW. It's lighter and feels more nible. I would only opt for the Xi, if I would live in an area where you really need the AWD in winter.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Breezo' post='745445' date='Dec 15 2008, 02:40 AM

Breezo,

Welcome to the forums, and we'll be glad to have you as a regular, this place is a wealth of information. Since youre an e39 lover why not consider a 2003 M5, it would have the styling and performance you are looking for, by far. However if you've already decided against the e39 body and want something newer in styling then, unless for some reason you need the extra room of the wagon, why would you buy it???? I mean seriously, a wagon?!?!

I would say go for the 545, if the touring has a few more options then the 545, then shop around until you get a 545 with the options you want. Since youre already coming from a RWD car, it should be no issue in NY for you to get a non-XI.

GL
Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='745536' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:21 AM
Breezo,

Welcome to the forums, and we'll be glad to have you as a regular, this place is a wealth of information. Since youre an e39 lover why not consider a 2003 M5, it would have the styling and performance you are looking for, by far. However if you've already decided against the e39 body and want something newer in styling then, unless for some reason you need the extra room of the wagon, why would you buy it???? I mean seriously, a wagon?!?!

I would say go for the 545, if the touring has a few more options then the 545, then shop around until you get a 545 with the options you want. Since youre already coming from a RWD car, it should be no issue in NY for you to get a non-XI.

GL
Thanks for the replies folks. As for the wagon issue, LOL, I happen to like wagons. It's crazy I know, but sometimes they appeal to me more than sedans. Call me Practical Man. The problem with an M5 would be the maintainance and upkeep, for I'm quite sure that ANY M product is going to run more than a regular 5. That's what kept me out of an M3 to start with. As much as I like the luxury and performance, I'd honestly have to budget my lifestyle to fit my car, and that's not happening. Plus, I can't drive stick. G'head, say something
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Breezo' post='745552' date='Dec 15 2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. As for the wagon issue, LOL, I happen to like wagons. It's crazy I know, but sometimes they appeal to me more than sedans. Call me Practical Man. The problem with an M5 would be the maintainance and upkeep, for I'm quite sure that ANY M product is going to run more than a regular 5. That's what kept me out of an M3 to start with. As much as I like the luxury and performance, I'd honestly have to budget my lifestyle to fit my car, and that's not happening. Plus, I can't drive stick. G'head, say something
You like wagons more then sedans My momma alwasy told me if you dont have anything nice to say....then dont say anything at all! j/k...hey to each is own right? Well since the upkeep of the car is an issue for you you may want to be sure that which ever model you choose you have a BMW warranty, and if you get something new enough it may still be under the factory maintenance agreement. These cars are very expensive to upkeep and if you have an issue with the CCC system youre screwed w/o a warranty. At least the e39 is more of a traditional car where as the e60 is so computer driven, if that system crashes you are talking major bucks.

I am not going to comment on the stick shift issue, since your from NY. I am originally from NYC and I know some folks that have never even had a license! One thing you may consider in your choice is an e60 with an SMG transmission....best of both worlds baby! I didnt think Id like it over a normal stick, but Ive come to love it over this past year.

GL...and keep us posted on your choice once you figure out what works best for you!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

u'll like the 545i a lot more. i have driven in syracuse and buffalo with TONS of snow with a clk55 amg with all season tires. NYC is nothing sompared to it. I moved back to NYC. Dont worry, it'll work gret. just buy snow tires. I have snow tires for just in case since ppl in NYC cant drive
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

I have an 04 545i, that I purchased CPO two+ years ago. The car had ~ 46K miles and included Sport Pkg, Stereo Upgrade, Navi, Sunroof, leather sport seats, heated steering wheel. The original sticker was ~$63K, paid ~$39K. I now have 99K miles and still enjoy the car. I love the V8. I live outside of philly and put blizzak's on for the winter. I have since added Bluetooth and Sirius which makes for a nice commuter. I drive to New Brunswick often which is about 100 miles one way.

I say pull the trigger and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

Hey, thanks all for your input. I'm still gonna wait another couple of months or so, let the holidays die down and make sure my finances are straight. I just wanted some opinions before I started the actual shopping process. My G is my first car, and I kinda jumped into it headfirst, so I want to be sure I'm gonna love what I'm spending my moolah on.

BTW: I've seen an '05 545i, loaded (sport, Premium, Cold) except for NAV , AT, Alpine White, Dakota leather, 39,000 on the dash for 22,900. Sound good?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Originally Posted by Breezo' post='747402' date='Dec 17 2008, 03:52 PM
Hey, thanks all for your input. I'm still gonna wait another couple of months or so, let the holidays die down and make sure my finances are straight. I just wanted some opinions before I started the actual shopping process. My G is my first car, and I kinda jumped into it headfirst, so I want to be sure I'm gonna love what I'm spending my moolah on.

BTW: I've seen an '05 545i, loaded (sport, Premium, Cold) except for NAV , AT, Alpine White, Dakota leather, 39,000 on the dash for 22,900. Sound good?

Is it CPO (Certified Pre-Owned)? If so, sounds like a good deal. I, however, need the Navi. If you do too, keep looking, they are out there.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Members

Nah, not CPO, which if it was, I'd sell a kidney to buy it today lol. And the Nav thing is really a deal breaker. I didn't have nav in the G, and I figure I'm upgrading cars, I want all those creature features. My friend bought an '06 GS300 and it's fully and I mean FULLY loaded (Nav, keyless ignition, heated/cooled seats, power rearshade, etc) so I'm definitely wanting the majority of that.

Quick Reply: '05 545i vs. '06 530xi Touring?