E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05' 545i Electrical glitch? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exact same symptoms and it was the alternator. It happened to me after driving on the highway for like 30 min at 80-90 mph so I know it was not the battery.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Members

It was an oem battery for me, sounds like alternator, ill have it checked thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Dealer called me today, about the same symptoms and it turned out to be a bad battery that is what their telling me. I replaced my battery from the dealer just a few months ago. Now they want to charge me for another battery and I told them shouldn't it still be covered its only been a few months. My SA said that because my car was never on sleep mode and that I just left the key in the ignition, the car is equipped with an event recorder and based on that plus I have aftermarket led lights installed and AE, they do strobe causing battery drain. What do you guys have to say to that? I talked to my sa and said see what you can do because I do not want to pay for another $400 dollar battery, half price maybe.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Members

1. How soon after installing any aftermarket stuff did you start getting this problem? If you have had it for a while then it should not be an issue. Besides, if it were, you would have gotten a "high Battery Drain" warning a long time ago.

2. Surprised to see that the new OEM battery has issues. Wont he replace it under the warranty of your battery?

3. How long have you had this recurring post your battery change? Did it stop for a few days and then recur? If so then we have to move on to the Alt being an issue. However usually the battery is the culprit so high probability that its that.

All the best n keep us posted!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Dealer replaced the battery they covered under customer goodwill my car is fine right now, as far as other things that was done at the dealer they replaced my trAnsmission pan with new gasket and reprogram my computer because I had the issue where it just freeze and no audio comes out. See how it goes in a few days and if there is other oil leaks.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Members

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a replacement alternator?

I googled it and a few places have them for around 400 or so.

How much for install?

Thanks again !
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by ivan545
Yes that is also true a way with testing the alternator but that is performed for older vehicles with our computer control vehicle its not wise to do that, disconnecting the terminal while the car is on / running, there is a alternator testing to test if its charging while the car is on, it tests the battery the same time. Battery alternator tester.

+1
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Members

I have had the same issue for months now, replaced alternator first cause they said battery was good, didnt work. So then i had the battery replaced anyway. Still didnt fix it.
So basically about every 2-3 weeks my car will break down in the middle of nowhere.
Good news is that all I have to do is pull over wait about an hour, and it will start right up with no warnings or errors and drive another 2-3 weeks.

BMW dealer thinks my aftermarket warranty supplied a fault alternator to them.

Hope your problem is one or the other unlike mine.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hmuchmo1
I have had the same issue for months now, replaced alternator first cause they said battery was good, didnt work. So then i had the battery replaced anyway. Still didnt fix it.
So basically about every 2-3 weeks my car will break down in the middle of nowhere.
Good news is that all I have to do is pull over wait about an hour, and it will start right up with no warnings or errors and drive another 2-3 weeks.

BMW dealer thinks my aftermarket warranty supplied a fault alternator to them.

Hope your problem is one or the other unlike mine.
So I took my car to a trusted 3rd party BMW shop and they hooked up the computer scanner and they said nothing seems to be wrong just maybe a an over surge of power when the dealer installed my battery awhile ago. I was recommended to take it back to the dealership. I just have a feeling the dealer is going to give me the run around like always. The dynamic drive malfunction I have addressed to the dealer so maybe thats an angle I can take?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Members

well i can tell you mine finally got fixed after many different bmw dealers and such. the scanner would always say something like overvoltage, and my dynamic drive was the first to error out...
what ultimately happened was my alternator failed again, but the reason the alternators were going bad was because the front valve covers were leaking oil and it just happened to be dripping into the alternator.
This kept shorting the diodes in the alternator causing it to lose voltage, and the guy who fixed it said it was dropping from 14.7V at startup down to 11.6V within 30 minutes of running then shortly there after the xmas tree lights would start to come on. apparently full synthetic oil is electrically conductive!

it took 4-5months to resolve this, 1 independent shop and 2 bmw factory shops in 2 diff cities couldn't get it fixed, finally another independent shop noticed the valve covers leaking after wondering why the alternator was full of oil.
so what took 3 shops months replacing all kinds of things, took one shop a few days to find.

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by zakattak20
So I took my car to a trusted 3rd party BMW shop and they hooked up the computer scanner and they said nothing seems to be wrong just maybe a an over surge of power when the dealer installed my battery awhile ago. I was recommended to take it back to the dealership. I just have a feeling the dealer is going to give me the run around like always. The dynamic drive malfunction I have addressed to the dealer so maybe thats an angle I can take?