E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'05 545i Coolant Level Low

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by miguex
If that was a "O" ring issue, it would be a very bad news! we pray it is not... ah! it is cpo? that is good!

There is a common problem with BMW V8 engines specially that "O" ring.
Oh...oh. You said it not me lol.

I thought of that too when I read the post, but didn't want to freak him out.

OP, glad to hear you're covered. Take full advantage of that warranty if I were you.

BTW Welcome to 5series.net
Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Got the Stealer APPT set for tomorrow first thing. Added a bunch of routine maintenance items as well. (Wiper Insert too! )

If the car has problems (inc. big problems), I'd rather have them fix all before CPO expires. then a year later i will be sure no major thing break in the near future.

EDIT: I requested a loaner if the rapair is major, Hopefully not a MINI , like one of the famous Mini Loaner Client in the "Loaner Topic."
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by estchen
Good news, I just called BMW cpo to have my name transferred on file, the advisor just told me besides te cpo warranty my car also have te extended maintainance program, tat means I can still get oil change brakes, etc repalced. Free of charge.
So I guess I gonna try out the stealer bofore any type of DIYs
I'm gonna make them put the biggest inspection, let's abuse the CPO :evilface:
That will help ease the regular scheduled maintenance costs and help you by uncovering other issues that would be covered by the CPO program. I still maintain it seems like the selling dealer may have rushed through the CPO inspection and should have looked deeper into known problem areas with e60s - like cooling and electrical system issues.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Hey heads up you should be very careful with the 545 and O ring. There is a coolant pipe than runs the length down middle of the cylinder heads and there is a cheap 2 dollar rubber O ring that fails. To get to the O Ring the Stealer has to take half the engine apart or even remove, or so they say. Mine went out at about 40,000 miles and the advisor said have to drop engine to fix. My car was clearly leaking coolant about 2 gallons in one week at 20 bucks a gallon for the special BMW blue coolant. If you use any other than BMW's it may void your warranty! They had the car for over one week. There is a great posting on this site from a mechanic in Carlsbad, CA I think can fix the O ring with a special retrofit part they designed and charges about $1,700 parts and labor. try a search to find it. Without the warranty I was told the cost would be over $6,000 to fix. So if you have any further leaks or signs of trouble with coolant etc. Better take care of it while you are still under CPO warranty! This is a common problem with the 545 that I think was fixed with the 550.
Another problem I heard with 545 is a clunk/slip at slow speed while parking etc. in the steering/suspension. I went to a BMW event in OC last month and a couple guys were talking about it. Anything like this be sure to start complaining while you still have the warranty. I complained while I still had mine and the dealer just blew it off saying they didn't notice it. Don't let them BS you. Any work on a BMW is big bucks! Good luck with your car. I have had overall good luck with mine and have another car so my 545 only has 60K on it and it is a 2004 with October build date. Love the Torque, sound when accelerating and handling is awesome for a big 4 door sedan. Still gets looks and now over 6 years old.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Ok , i had the same exact thing happening to me luckly i have a real good dealership here in socal(Bobsmith) and i know the service rep and here is what they did;

1. Replaced Reservor tank.
2.Replaced O-ring.
3.Replaced all connecting hoses>
4.Replaced Clamps.

Have in mind the leak was from the bottom of the reservoir and was not visible under the car becuase its a slow leak and if the compartment is hot it will evepurate byt the time it get down to the ground, also when cold it wont leak!

Anyways he told me its best to replace those items before the CPO expires!

hope this helps.....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by B_Schnell
Hey heads up you should be very careful with the 545 and O ring. There is a coolant pipe than runs the length down middle of the cylinder heads and there is a cheap 2 dollar rubber O ring that fails. To get to the O Ring the Stealer has to take half the engine apart or even remove, or so they say. Mine went out at about 40,000 miles and the advisor said have to drop engine to fix. My car was clearly leaking coolant about 2 gallons in one week at 20 bucks a gallon for the special BMW blue coolant. If you use any other than BMW's it may void your warranty! They had the car for over one week. There is a great posting on this site from a mechanic in Carlsbad, CA I think can fix the O ring with a special retrofit part they designed and charges about $1,700 parts and labor. try a search to find it. Without the warranty I was told the cost would be over $6,000 to fix. So if you have any further leaks or signs of trouble with coolant etc. Better take care of it while you are still under CPO warranty! This is a common problem with the 545 that I think was fixed with the 550.
Another problem I heard with 545 is a clunk/slip at slow speed while parking etc. in the steering/suspension. I went to a BMW event in OC last month and a couple guys were talking about it. Anything like this be sure to start complaining while you still have the warranty. I complained while I still had mine and the dealer just blew it off saying they didn't notice it. Don't let them BS you. Any work on a BMW is big bucks! Good luck with your car. I have had overall good luck with mine and have another car so my 545 only has 60K on it and it is a 2004 with October build date. Love the Torque, sound when accelerating and handling is awesome for a big 4 door sedan. Still gets looks and now over 6 years old.
Well, I took in the car Friday.

I explained everything to the SA The coolant low level thing and some other complaints i had, Well indicated by you: the sluggish downshifting from 3-2-1, but as everyone said, they always act like they dont know what you are talking about, (Really?, we never heard it before)

Anyways, I insisted about the symptons, He called a Technician to have a test drive with me. So we went ahead i Drove the car for few miles,, about 6 brake to stop opportunittties, the guy eveytime i brake to stop,,, I said, did you feel it, He says, what was that? I didnt feel anything, You just "pulse" braked i think.

Anyways, We drove back to the dealer, I said, you drive it, changed seats, and he started... BIG DIFFERENCE Being the driver, He said,,, now i know what u are talking about. (OMG, he even told me he worked there for 10 years, 1st time? LOL)

He tried several combinations to replicate it, regular in D, tried D/S, they all feel the sluggish stop, he tried putting in neutral before stop, Flawless, in M1, it stooped good too.

2nd, I had some problem with the front brake when pulling to parking space like doing a right 90 degree (steering all to the right at about 5-10MPH, i hear the front brake do a hard rubbing noise, at first, he tried to replicate it, it didnt', I told him to drive few miles and back, i guess brake went hot, the noise come off.

BEsides, the coolant low level thing... they said they gonna diagnose it.

So... this one is really a stealerm $171/hour labor... (MUST Pay for the diagnostic for all 3 items) Since i had no choice, i went ahead and approve that. No LOaner car (F*****g phone agent mistyped Loaner with Shuttle! I insisted, the SA said they are out of loaners till next Wednesday, READ BOTTOM FOR SURPRISE)

Called me afternoon, said they found coolant tank leaking, $400 dollars to REPLACE it.......... they say Plastics and hoses are not within CPO..

The brake noise, They replaced the rotor, and brake pads. FREE! (car had extended maintenance program bought by previous owner, need to wait for next free oil change, It's half way right now, i will do it at a indy, cant trust the 15K miles)

The Transmission thing... They said They will have to reprogram it to the newest version to see if that fix the issue. If not, they gonna file a case with BMWNA for a new transmission. 2 hours labor here 342$........ Legal robbery here.... Had no choice, agreed.
Hopefully if that doesnt fix, I get new Transmission FREE, and that is a good deal, (no worries for few years to come, RIGHT>??)

My question really is...

Should I paythem to replace the coolant tank? I checked I can pay 100 bucks shipped tank + new sensor, I'm handy enough to work on this. (Should I buy New hoses and clamps? if so, what are these parts numbers?? any DIY?)

If i do it my self, Will I void anytype of CPO warranty?

Now, Lets say the O ring is OK now, How can I make them replace it if it's still ok?
or Does the O-Ring Fail or break in a Sudden instant, while 1 minute before, it's like perfect good?

Is the O ring included in CPO warranty?

Originally Posted by syrousd
Ok , i had the same exact thing happening to me luckly i have a real good dealership here in socal(Bobsmith) and i know the service rep and here is what they did;

1. Replaced Reservor tank.
2.Replaced O-ring.
3.Replaced all connecting hoses>
4.Replaced Clamps.

Have in mind the leak was from the bottom of the reservoir and was not visible under the car becuase its a slow leak and if the compartment is hot it will evepurate byt the time it get down to the ground, also when cold it wont leak!

Anyways he told me its best to replace those items before the CPO expires!

hope this helps.....

HOW DID YOU GET TO REPLACE'EM ALL AT THE SAME TIME? DID YOU PAY? HOW MUCH? ANYTHING UNDER WARRANTY? I would drive to SOCAL if necessary!!!

TELL ME THE DETAILS!!!!

ANYWAYS, they call me on Tuesday, Unbelievable, When the SA asked severaltimes to get the reprogram thing an OK (guess they make money there...) I told him,,, well I need to go somewhere tonight,,,,,,, HE said immediatelly,,,What If I get you a loaner today?

Well, I drove a Dark Green 328i Back. Compared to my 545i, It's a POS. Still Can't understand why they make the Steering Wheel SO HARD... I bet you pull muscles driving that thing.

WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSES!, Keep you posted!

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 2005 Model. Full spec so happy with as is.(for the moment!)

Same problem with a different outcome! Asked the dealer about coolent leak - never heard of it. Yesterday blew apart the exspansion tank with excess pressure!!! From where ? Now think a head gasket has gone !!!! Dealers in the Uk ******
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributors

What I learned from buying a used BMW was the following:

1) Don't drive it hard until you learn of small issues that might need repair because it WILL happen. For example, check your gasket covers for leaking, very common prob.
2) Don't trust the dealership to tell you everything seems ok with the car, ESPECIALLY if its a car that is under a warranty. If you're out of warranty, trust me they'll find something wrong.
3) If your car is at around 50k miles and on a 2nd owner I would replace the spark plugs, replace the air filter and inspect the airbox for debris, flush the brake fluid, change the oil ASAP within the first 500 miles you own the car, inspect the rotors and pads, check control arms, bushings, shocks, springs.
4) Open the battery compartment in the back trunk and look at where the battery sits, if you notice water, you sir have a known defect. Take it to dealer to fix. Also, if battery is OEM, just REPLACE IT NOW, don't wait to get stranded because if the car is 4-5 years old it WILL die very soon!
5) Most important, don't ever let a dealership tell you "no" to something you know needs to get done and should be covered under warranty. Always fight for every last dollar.

Overall, I'm sure you'll have no problems, but be aware that preventative maintenance on these cars will go a very long way.

Side notes:

65 to 70k miles - flush your transmission fluid, clean your fuel injectors (not with some fuel additive btw), replace your shocks/struts.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Members

Thanks guys for replying, here is an update,

I got the car back a couple of days ago.

The front brake pads, rotors, brake fluids, were changed to new ones free under warranty.

coolant expansion tank had a crack, and was replaced togeter with caps and hoses. Charged parts plus labor. They said plastics and hoses are not covered under CPI except ac hoses(???)

transmission surging, they did the software update, the SA was very nice to provide that for free after all, the surging was reduced to minimum possible.still can feel it, I can get use to it, but if it become big issue like before, I will get a complain case with BMW NA as suggested by SA. Hopefully a new transmission could get placed.

Their inspection report showed some liquid were leaking in power steering hoses but very small, they suggest me to check them in the next servce, not sure if I should do something right away, the steering feels good nothing weog and no errors yet in the idrive.

When I bought the car last month, I changed oil to mobil 1 0w40
changed battery to welker 95r same spec as oem, (oem was almost dead)
installed hyper voltage gt system to battery compartment.

How do I check the head gasket, plz point me in the right direction.

Car whenw warmed up with ac off, will idle in the 500rpm area. Is this normal?????

How do I change the spark plugs? Is there a diy?

Alright thank u guys!!!!!!!!!!