E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'05 545i Coolant Level Low

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Hi Guys,

Excellent Forum, I've spent about 1 week reading throught every useful post in here. Excellent Info, Excellent People .

I'm glad to inform you a 2 weeks ago, I just purchased a 05 545i Silver Gray Mettallic, Fully Loaded, Sports, PDC, CW, HUD, NAV, L7, Winter Package, etc etc, everything but that intelligent cruise control and the inflated seat sides. (incredibly with only 47K miles! With CPO! 05/11 or 100K miles ) (ah, what is your appraisal? so I know if I overpaid or i got a bargain )

Now, I did check most routine maintenance items, oil, fluids, brakes, Battery, etc/

The first thing to go off on me was the battery. I was doing some cleaning inside the car (car off) with the music on, suddenly after 20-30 minutes, all electronics shuts off. I thought it was some sort of time out(like if you forgot to remove key or sorta.) then i tried to turn on (key position 2) .... then it would come back and go off again... luckly, i thought of starting the car, with a extremely slow cranking, it started! few days,,, after a overnight,,, same issue. So I replaced the battery with one recommended by a high ranked user over here. a Werker with 850 CCA. Model number 95H. EVERYTHING WORKS 100% now. (so anyone having same issue, you know what to do.)_ BTW the Batt Costed $190 + TAX... (i do plan to keep car for 3+ years so, it worth it.

Now, here is the real issue... 2 days ago, I got the coolant low level warning. I tried to go to BMW stealer nearby to get a bottle of coolant, too bad, they closed by the time i got there. I checked online for replacement, and I read from many diff trusted sources that 50/50's like Preston (NON extended life) will work, so i went ahead and topped it.

Incredibly, this morning... Coolant level low AGAIN! I used to drive a 05 645ci before this one, and happened the same, until i Used a bottle of "Prestone Super Radiator Stop Leak" http://www.prestone.com/products/pri...p+Leak&regTM=1
poured the whole bottle and topped it with coolant... and it seemed to resolve the issue. but after a month it left some crappy residue under the cap(edit: Expansion Tank Cap), but temperatures were good (645 cluster has temp gauge.)

I'm thinking about doing the same with my 545i, Just wondering if you guys have more info about this, will this void the CPO? (I hate the idea of going to the Stealer if not necessary)

Visually, no signs of leakage whatsoever, and the sensor is good.

Any Input is appreciated.... (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING SUCH LONG POST. Definitely shorter than DIY post

Here is a list of things i've done so far. Pictures will come later

Installed: LED Angel Eyes, 4100K PIAA High Beams. K&N Drop-in Filter, Hyper Voltage System GT Blue +1 Ground. V8 Side Badges.
To be installed: AUDI Style LED strip for Headlights. E60 LCI Shifter Retrofit.
Waiting for shipment: 4100K PIAA Fog Lights, 5xLED side Markers, Led License light, Led Courtesy UnderDoor Lights. (edit: 3528 3Chips white LEDs for M5 CLuster Mod)

In purchase List: M-Tech Rear + Quad Exhaust from Umnitza. (Guess I will be the Guinea Pig of all 545i )
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Hmmmm my first thought was that there has to be a leak somewhere. If you topped off the fluid and the error still popped up it sounds like a leak or faulty sensor but you said that you checked both of those.

I had a low coolant warning and took it in and found out that my expansion tank and hoses were leaking. Changed and viola, all good.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Hmmmm my first thought was that there has to be a leak somewhere. If you topped off the fluid and the error still popped up it sounds like a leak or faulty sensor but you said that you checked both of those.

I had a low coolant warning and took it in and found out that my expansion tank and hoses were leaking. Changed and viola, all good.
Was it covered under the CPO? if not how much you paid?

My guess is there must be a leak somewhere...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by estchen
Was it covered under the CPO? if not how much you paid?

My guess is there must be a leak somewhere...
I have an aftermarket warranty that covered all of it. Your CPO should too, maybe not the hoses but the tank which is probably $200-$300.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributors

I also suspect a coolant system leak somewhere ... tanks and hoses are common problem areas. I would not use any coolant leak sealer on any BMW. They only disguise the problem and will never fix it. And the gunk build up can be terrible (my older BMWs had filtering screens in the heater valves - if they get blocked you're in for more repairs).

CPO Protection for your purchase should cover these problems - sounds like some issues were disguised to sell the car and hope it didn't crap out until you were long gone and they could blame you for causing the issues / damage. I would not pay the $50 deductible for problems that surface so soon after purchase.

Sounds like the selling dealer must have rushed through the inspection process.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Members

Guess I will try my cheap repair first, if same I will take it to stealer,

by the way, what aftermarket warranty u use, may come handy after my CPo runs out

Edit: I will call BMW and ask for $$$ detailed, so no surprises.

Edit 2: was not purchased from BMW dealer, was a Independent dealer, previous owner had current cpo which is transferable, I gotta call them to transfer the name yet.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

If there's no obvious signs of leakage then maybe you didn't add enough coolant. Did you check the level/float again after letting the engine cool down. See if the float is back down again. If it is, top it off some more.

You might of been lower on coolant than you had originally thought.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Members

Mmmm, I may try that as well, the first time it came off, I waited overnight so it could cool down, so added coolant next day. I will try again,,, I checked inside, no smell, no marks on the parking floor. Will keep you posted if it works!

Appreciated
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

Good news, I just called BMW cpo to have my name transferred on file, the advisor just told me besides te cpo warranty my car also have te extended maintainance program, tat means I can still get oil change brakes, etc repalced. Free of charge.

So I guess I gonna try out the stealer bofore any type of DIYs

I'm gonna make them put the biggest inspection, let's abuse the CPO :evilface:
Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

If that was a "O" ring issue, it would be a very bad news! we pray it is not... ah! it is cpo? that is good!

There is a common problem with BMW V8 engines specially that "O" ring.

Quick Reply: '05 545i Coolant Level Low