E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05 530i Trans. done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 530I
Default 05 530i Trans. done?

So I have had issues with the transmission for 3 years now with it going in and out of safe mode over the years. Nothing serious I thought since it would only happen when I really drove it hard. It was brought to the dealer multiple times and they could never find anything wrong with it but always seem to find that it needed a SW update. So the other day was driving to work and I felt a slight slip for the first time I have owned the car. This to me means that the transmission is going out, GET RID OF QUICK!!! My ? is has this happen to anyone else before or have you heard of this even happening. The car has 118K on it and the trans fluid was replaced at 80K. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Transmission slipping can come from many things.. MAFS, CPS, etc. These cars are electronically networked in a way that certain modules depend on other sensor values in order to work properly.
You didn't give specific details on the issue such as driving conditions, gear that this happened in. Are you able to replicate it by shifting manually?
So it could be something physical or it could be something software related. If you ask the question here you are going to get a bunch of less than knowledgeable opinions. You have to do what is right for your situation. Only you know your situation. Are you able to fix it yourself? Are you willing to pay to have someone diagnose and fix it?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Transmission slipping can come from many things.. MAFS, CPS, etc. These cars are electronically networked in a way that certain modules depend on other sensor values in order to work properly.
You didn't give specific details on the issue such as driving conditions, gear that this happened in. Are you able to replicate it by shifting manually?
So it could be something physical or it could be something software related. If you ask the question here you are going to get a bunch of less than knowledgeable opinions. You have to do what is right for your situation. Only you know your situation. Are you able to fix it yourself? Are you willing to pay to have someone diagnose and fix it?

There is not to much to say about it. I never had this happen before. The only thing that has happen is getting a trans fault which put it in safe mode and told me to take it to the dealer. That was about two years ago. At first I didnt take it because when I turned the car off then turned it back on it was gone. Then it happened two other times so I decided to take it in. They could not find anything wrong with the trans. and they asked if I just wanted a software update because that could be the issue. I had them do the update and for a while no issues(2yrs ago). A few months back I was driving on the interstate and I felt it about to fault again so I pulled back on the pedal and that was that. Last week I was driving through the city and stopped at a red light. When it turned green I sped off and that is when I felt the slight slip. I did put it in manual and started of again but I never got the issue. It happen in second gear. I am mechanically inclined but when it comes down to the trans. I'd rather someone else do it. I have not done too much to the car. I know about 30k ago I got the trans/differ. fluid changed. Last month "I" changed the water pump, some hoses, and thermostat. Things like that are easy to do with help cause I cant bust the bolts on my own. So I am willing to have someone diagnose and fix it I just do not want to pay too much for something and it doesnt fix the issue. I am still working on leaks that should been fixed couple years back when I took it in but that is where I am now with the issue. I am driving it every other week as I have every since I bought it and that is the only thing I cant seem to get fixed. i am just tired of throwing money at it and still having the problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I'm at 190,000 miles on mine. Years ago, I had some tranny slippage (around 60k). Turned out to be a bad main seal that caused fluid loss. Under aftermarket warranty, it was fixed. Over the past few months I started getting transmission fault warnings periodically. Restarting fixed, but became progressively worse. It hit the fan when the car sat at a mechanic's for a couple of days. I tried to start it and move it, but it would lock on reversing after maybe a few inches. I let it sit and warm up a bit, then it shifted to reverse. I drove it over to a tranny shop and explained the problem. They put it on a lift - was 3 quarts low in fluid! They topped off and tested - shifted like butter. They diagnosed a seal leak...again. It needs fixing, but every 2 or 3 weeks I'll go and have it topped off for $25 bucks til I get the bandwidth to fix it.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
... was 3 quarts low in fluid! They topped off and tested - shifted like butter...
With 3 qts of trans fluid leak, you should've noticed the trans fluid dripping under the car. I take it that you (or your mechanic) never checked under the car. With that kind of leak, trans pan [and surrounding parts] would be covered with fluid.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

OP - get under the car and look at the pan. Do you see any residue at all on the bolts, specifically the rear bolts? perhaps they are not tightened enough and you are leaking a bit of fluid? Are you sure whoever did this change for you knew what amount of fluid to replenish the transmission with? What kind of fluid was used?
Do you know that this problem can also be related to a CPS or MAFS? Believe me I've had it on several bimmers.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by pcy
With 3 qts of trans fluid leak, you should've noticed the trans fluid dripping under the car. I take it that you (or your mechanic) never checked under the car. With that kind of leak, trans pan [and surrounding parts] would be covered with fluid.
Probably leaking since 09 or 10. Nothing rapid - slow leak, hence the surprise and lack of suspecting a low fluid situation. However, control rods, starter, etc have been changed by going under it :-)