E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05 525d vs 04 525i

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:24 AM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting to compare diesel with petrol.

This is my first diesel car and I have to say it is impressive. I chose it after reading many posts on this forum ( thanks Doctor Diesel, ISUK, Colejl + others) No regrets.
I recently had an auto 530i loaner ( with the new R6 engine) for 2 weeks whilst my own car went in for the heated seat recall and other work.

At first, I was truly shocked, how slow the 530i felt.

Now, after a few days with it , if you really redlined it every step of the journey - it did go rather well.
BUT here are the drawbacks,
(i) above 5000 rpm the new engine sounded thrashy ( I agree with Jay Jay that the diesel at idle sounds poor too!). In the 530i petrol, passengers could tell you were "caning it" to make good progress. Frankly it was embarassing , I had to drive more slowly! Wheras passengers in my 530D hear nothing even under significant acceleration. There is a huge difference in "real world driveability ".
(ii) I averaged , over 1000 miles, just 17 mpg. ( pretty distressing given I pay for my own car and fuel)
Under similar conditions my 530D will give 29mpg. This is a much bigger difference than Jay Jay experienced. It was representative though - similar cars and identical driving conditions.
(iii) Used E60's do not hold there value as well as we expected . But the hardest ones to sell are the petrol models.

The loaner had active steering and dynamic drive - both options were fantastic.
My next car will have these !
I'd love a 5353D but probably will have to replace with another 530D. The petrol models won't get any consideration.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363' date='Dec 22 2005, 07:24 AM

This is my first diesel car and I have to say it is impressive. I chose it after reading many posts on this forum ( thanks Doctor Diesel, ISUK, Colejl + others) No regrets.
I recently had an auto 530i loaner ( with the new R6 engine) for 2 weeks whilst my own car went in for the heated seat recall and other work.

Now, after a few days with it , if you really redlined it every step of the journey - it did go rather well.
(i) above 5000 rpm the new engine sounded thrashy ( I agree with Jay Jay that the diesel at idle sounds poor too!). In the 530i petrol, passengers could tell you were "caning it" to make good progress. Frankly it was embarassing , I had to drive more slowly! Wheras passengers in my 530D hear nothing even under significant acceleration. There is a huge difference in "real world driveability ".
(ii) I averaged , over 1000 miles, just 17 mpg. ( pretty distressing given I pay for my own car and fuel)
Under similar conditions my 530D will give 29mpg. This is a much bigger difference than Jay Jay experienced. It was representative though - similar cars and identical driving conditions.
(iii) Used E60's do not hold there value as well as we expected . But the hardest ones to sell are the petrol models.

I'd love a 5353D but probably will have to replace with another 530D. The petrol models won't get any consideration.
All of that is true. Especially in Europe where diesels are very common here because of the gas price. Also because of the big torque the diesel is quicker and more effiecient for every day life, where a petrol has to be revved hard to get the juice out of it. If it would be my choice then no brainer the 525d.
Of course the sound is way better on the petrol model but only the idle sound on the diesel is disturbing. Once revved it sounds more like a american muscle car...at least that's how mine sounds. Even the turbos are qutie silenced.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:57 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363' date='Dec 22 2005, 01:24 PM

Agreed!

The feeling of significant acceleration and no engine stress is the shit!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Yep, diesel or petrol would be a easy choice for me too, diesel all the way
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363

I only ever test drove the 530d and was hooked! Even the salesman said he was struggling to sell the 'equivalent' petrol.

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363
(i) I love the soundtrack. Just the slight vibration at idle ruins it slightly...
(ii) I'm getting just over 30mpg. Over 50mpg on a long journey without any 'fun'
(iii) Indeed. A 530d auto with leather should be easiest to sell?

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363' date='Dec 22 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd love a 535D but probably will have to replace with another 530D. The petrol models won't get any consideration.
Still love my AS, even more so when it failed the other day! I would like to try DD to see how well it works...

If the 'updated' 535d comes out soon (Lighter block) I will be VERY tempted!

Stu - I spot that the Dunlops have gone? What did you get?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='213938' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:18 PM
I have a 525d sport as my loaner.
It is almost precisely the same spec as my own car.
You should testdrive the 530d or even better the 535d!

The 525d is a "econo" car and the engine has not been updated yet.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='213938' date='Dec 21 2005, 12:18 PM
It is almost precisely the same spec as my own car.

However im not sure if my mind has over exaggerated the difference in performance but the diesel feels considerably slower both off the mark and from around 40 upto 80 (70 if plod is reading). I was under the impression that the diesel and petrol were pretty much the same kind of pace with the diesel being only slightly slower but after driving it for a few days it just *feels* like im travelling much slower than in the petrol varient.

I was also surprised at the mpg. On my 525i the clock is reading around 25mpg average (and i tend to have a rather heavy foot)

The diesel loaner i have when picked up was averaging 30mpg dead. Now its at 29mpg after 2 days of use.

For the difference of seemingly 4mpg id prefer to pull up and not think 'my car sounds like a truck'

Im genuinely surprised that the diesel doesnt really achieve much more than the petrol. I thought the whole point of a diesel was better fuel economy? Even at motorway cruising i can get my petrol to do around 40/50mpg at a reasonable speed which is around the same as im getting on the d..

just my 2 cents
I also have a 525d and getting 28mpg, until I noticed that idrive had units set as US gallons and not UK imperial gallon, once I set it correctly I now regular see around 36-37mpg.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by stu' post='214363' date='Dec 22 2005, 07:24 AM

Agreed
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sicce' post='214459
The diesel loaner i have when picked up was averaging 30mpg dead. Now its at 29mpg after 2 days of use.
I also have a 525d and getting 28mpg, until I noticed that idrive had units set as US gallons and not UK imperial gallon, once I set it correctly I now regular see around 36-37mpg.
[/quote]
Indeed. But I wouldn't trust the accuracy anyway...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I too love the 530d performance. But must have a differnet car from those reporting seeing 40mpg or even 50mpg on gentle use.

I am getting 21mpg commuting and never ever seen more than 35mpg on the most gentle motorway dawdle. Been at the dealer 4 times and no improvement - only a letter stating in writing that low 20's mpg is "commesnureate with the vehicle".

Quick Reply: 05 525d vs 04 525i