E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05 525d vs 04 525i

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 525d sport as my loaner.
It is almost precisely the same spec as my own car.

However im not sure if my mind has over exaggerated the difference in performance but the diesel feels considerably slower both off the mark and from around 40 upto 80 (70 if plod is reading). I was under the impression that the diesel and petrol were pretty much the same kind of pace with the diesel being only slightly slower but after driving it for a few days it just *feels* like im travelling much slower than in the petrol varient.

I was also surprised at the mpg. On my 525i the clock is reading around 25mpg average (and i tend to have a rather heavy foot)

The diesel loaner i have when picked up was averaging 30mpg dead. Now its at 29mpg after 2 days of use.

For the difference of seemingly 4mpg id prefer to pull up and not think 'my car sounds like a truck'

Im genuinely surprised that the diesel doesnt really achieve much more than the petrol. I thought the whole point of a diesel was better fuel economy? Even at motorway cruising i can get my petrol to do around 40/50mpg at a reasonable speed which is around the same as im getting on the d..

just my 2 cents
Old 12-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

^^^^Interesting; the 525d is an automatic I assume?
So your next car would be another petrol model?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

I find that hard to beleive, bmw states the following:

BMW 525i 50-75 in fourth: 7.9 manual

BMW 525d 50-75 in fourth: 6.5 manual

The diesels only get better with more speed. And 1.4 seconds is a big difference. I know people will say that its because its in fourth, and the diesel has more torque, but still
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Interesting, I have noticed something very similar in last couple of days. My 525 is at the dealers (again!) & I have a 530d loan car. Both steptronic. My petrol gets 26-27 average on my daily 15 mile commute. I was looking forward to comparing the 2 & was surprised that the 530d has only averaged 29mpg on the same journey, driven in the same manner. I thought it would get a lot more mpg. Looks like the mpg figures are greatly exaggerated; the published mpg figures bear little resemblance to real life.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='214000' date='Dec 21 2005, 03:37 PM
Interesting, I have noticed something very similar in last couple of days. My 525 is at the dealers (again!) & I have a 530d loan car. Both steptronic. My petrol gets 26-27 average on my daily 15 mile commute. I was looking forward to comparing the 2 & was surprised that the 530d has only averaged 29mpg on the same journey, driven in the same manner. I thought it would get a lot more mpg. Looks like the mpg figures are greatly exaggerated; the published mpg figures bear little resemblance to real life.
I'd agree with your 29mpg. I've got a 530d E61 Touring and 29-32mpg is about the usual range on a tank of diesel. However, using the journey computer can show up to 40mpg on a good motorway drive. The urban figure is about the same as my old E46 328i.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='214000' date='Dec 21 2005, 03:37 PM
Diesel consumption takes quite a hit with the steptronic, especially in start-stop traffic. Manual is better but apparently the steptronic is still the preferred choice for residuals in this sector...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by colejl' post='214018' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:30 PM
Diesel consumption takes quite a hit with the steptronic, especially in start-stop traffic. Manual is better but apparently the steptronic is still the preferred choice for residuals in this sector...
From my experience, Steptronic has really a great blame in fuel consumption. At least 10% increase over manual. More if you are on town traffic.
I don't feel the diesel sounds like a truck. 4 cyls diesel with bad treatment do (except the Honda).
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Both my car and the loaner are just a bog standard auto. no flappy paddles or specialness. Just Park Reverse Neutral Drive and DS / (+/- tiptronic mode)

the economy is marginally better but not enough to justify the engine sound and my own view that it feels slower.

This isnt to go 'har har' to anyone who has bought the Diesel. Im just very surprised that the 525d was named whatcar and topgear exec car of the year when the 525i wasnt....

I suppose its all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Tbh i found myself waiting outside a supermarket and actually turning the ignition off because i was embarassed by the chugging noise the diesel was making
Old 12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='214166' date='Dec 21 2005, 06:14 PM
the economy is marginally better but not enough to justify the engine sound and my own view that it feels slower.

This isnt to go 'har har' to anyone who has bought the Diesel. Im just very surprised that the 525d was named whatcar and topgear exec car of the year when the 525i wasnt....

I suppose its all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Tbh i found myself waiting outside a supermarket and actually turning the ignition off because i was embarassed by the chugging noise the diesel was making
I would agree that the economy is only marginally better with the diesel, but these are high performance diesel cars we're talking here with awesome performance. I've not driven the 525d personally but I know the 530d goes like stink. Even if the economy was worse than the petrol I would still have the diesel as I prefer the instant power feel compared to the petrol where IMHO you have to wait for the engine to spool up.

The 525i was actually What car's car of the year until the 525d came out. Don't be fooled by What car though, all they're interested in is Co. car tax and emissions!

Yes they do make a clattery sound at idle but under acceleration the noise isn't bad. Have a test drive in a 535d and you'll be converted its one fu**ing quick car.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Senior Members

I did actually fall in love with diesels a while back

When i was 17 i walked into my local VW dealer and told them i was interested in upgrading to a Bora (Jetta). They didnt have any demos for me to test so the Sales manager told me i could take his out for a few hours if i wanted too. He gave me the keys and took a copy of my license and then took my to the car.

It was a 150bhp+ bora/jetta....i was driving a 50bhp 1.0 litre polo at the time.

From about 900rpm to 1100rpm it was crap acceleration but then...it was like god himself had kicked the car squarely up its ass. It would wheel spin changing from 1st to 2nd.

I have the loaner for a week so we shall see if i fall in love with it but so far im praying for my cars quick return with all the faults fixed.

Quick Reply: 05 525d vs 04 525i