E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 iPod idrive integration help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 iPod idrive integration help

This is my first post to this forum. I am sorry if I am not 100% on the rules. Please inform me if not...

I have a 2004 530i e60. I am trying to find the best iPod integration kit for my car. I have looked into the Gateway 500 but it seems it is not compatible with my version of iDrive. Dension says the only thing they can offer is a form of FM Modulator. I do not want to go this route. I have also looked at moBridge. It seems they do have one that integrates to my car but I want to make sure before purchasing one. Can you guys tell me how to determine which iDrive system I have or if you have a better (less expensive) option, I am open to ideas.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Back then there were two versions of iDrive. Basically one with navigation and a bigger screen and just the basic iDrive without navigation which came with a smaller screen. I had an '04 545 with the basic iDrive and used the BMW oem iPod integration kit. It goes in the glove box, connecting where the 6-disc changer would plug in. If you already have the changer you will have to remove it to get this connection. It was a good trade off in my view because the iPod offered far more music capacity than 6 CD's did. Keep in mind the 6-disc changer could not play MP3's.

The BMW iPod kit also has some limitation on the number of songs but it is way more than the 6 CDs. It's been too long and I can't recall the limitation on the number of songs but I had a dedicated 8 GB iPod I just left in the glove box for music. Don't recall the Gateway 500 having issues with one of the versions of iDrive, but then I never had it!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

The 2004 will work with the BMW ipod adapter for MOST bus. I had a 2004 525i, that was prewired for a CD. The kit went in fine, but the car did need to be coded for the adapter, at least that is what they told me they did. Actually, I think they just code it to recognize a CD changer and it thinks the adapter is a changer. I know that if you have a CD changer, it is a quick plug and play.

I have attached the release notice that came out when the ipod adapter was first released. If you have an e60 with a build date of 9/03 or later, you are good. The adapter I had would work with the iphone and newer ipods, but it would not charge them. To charge them, I bought an extension cable that converts the connection to the newer 30pin connection. It worked great. With it, I was able to plug in any older ipod and any newer ipod or iphone, and have everything work and charge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ipod Most Bus.pdf (1.02 MB, 209 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ipod integration. There is one thing that drives me nuts. When selecting a song, you have to scroll through the entire list.
I’m wondering if there’s an update. It should be like scrolling through contacts in communications. You have a header with the alphabet so you can easily select a contact that starts with a particular letter. My ipod integration is not doing this.