E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

04 545I, is there an iDrive update to search by POI's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Is there an iDrive sofware update for 04 545i that updates the iDrive like the 07+ 550i iDrive where you can search for POI's and not search within sub categories?! I read that new iDrive systems in 550i are more updated and you can search for POI's like you could in Japanese luxury cars. I had to find Lexus dealer for my fiances IS to take for service and we searches iDrive and we could not find it with in Cars and Travel sub category I think. So is there an upgrade for iDrive I can ask my mech in service to upgrade it to the newer like 550i iDrive system software?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

A new version of Progman will give you the ability to search for Points of interest.

However, you can't request it because you want an upgrade unless you are willing to pay for the time it takes to do the software upgrade (it can take several hours).

If your version of Progman has a bug that the new version fixes, then you would be entitled to it for free.

One example: if the guidance arrow doesn't work in the assist window all the time, that is fixed by an update and you would be entitled to have it at no charge.

This by the way presumes your car is still under warranty. If not, all bets are off.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='522743' date='Jan 25 2008, 09:13 AM
A new version of Progman will give you the ability to search for Points of interest.

However, you can't request it because you want an upgrade unless you are willing to pay for the time it takes to do the software upgrade (it can take several hours).

If your version of Progman has a bug that the new version fixes, then you would be entitled to it for free.

One example: if the guidance arrow doesn't work in the assist window all the time, that is fixed by an update and you would be entitled to have it at no charge.

This by the way presumes your car is still under warranty. If not, all bets are off.
Non-extended warranties expire this year on 04 cars....sigh :-( I wound up getting a full reprogramming done to correct my transmission "slam" problem and off-line hesitation issue. Good luck with this - it can be hit or miss depending upon wich dealership you go to (and even down to the service tech). Your mileage will vary.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Members

Ok guys.. My mech at the dealer told me that I have the newest idrive software and that there is no ther available. They also said that you can not put software for 2007-2008 550i on to my 2004 545i?! IS that true? Because I told him that I read somwhere on E60 forum that the 550i have a new idrive software that adds POI searchability without searching for POI in sub-categories only, and you have by distance capability? How valid is that? Because the biggest flaw of this idrive sofware is that you have to search within category not just POI search like Japanese NAVis do. Can anyone tell me if you can upgrade to new idrive software that is on new 550i or not, and if it is possible, what is the name of that version and how it is done. If a BMW mech can shime in, so I can just print out this thread and give it to my mech. Because they say it cannot be done, andI have the newest one and there are no other choices?!