E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

!@#$& - Runflat punctured

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Well, one of my runflats is dead. First time the technology has helped me in the nearly 5 years I have owned the car.

I need to replace all 4 - they were getting long in the tooth and I can do all 4 non-RFTs for not much more than 1 OEM tire.

I think I know the tires I'll get, but I was thinking to let the dealer do the work since the removal of the RTFs can lead to rim damage in uncaring/unskilled hands.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by UUronL
Well, one of my runflats is dead. First time the technology has helped me in the nearly 5 years I have owned the car.

I need to replace all 4 - they were getting long in the tooth and I can do all 4 non-RFTs for not much more than 1 OEM tire.

I think I know the tires I'll get, but I was thinking to let the dealer do the work since the removal of the RTFs can lead to rim damage in uncaring/unskilled hands.

Thoughts?
When one of my tires died, I decided to go non-runflat. I simply can not see the clever thing about RFT's. Once they have punctured you need to replace them - at least if you follow BMW recommendations.

Non RFTs are also cheaper - and they can be repaired if you puncture. I did already have the spare tire in the trunk, so that also helped on the decision.

My setup is now: Winter 17" Continental Winter Contact, Summer 19" Continental Sportcontact II. It works great.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

I've had runflats repaired no problem. Also never had the dealer replace tyres (tires) and never had a problem with rim damage - I've done 187k miles (300k km) in my E61.

Runflats can be useful if you have a blow out like I have had at 110mph - and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road - or on your roof down the embankment. I agree the ride is hateful though.

If you can buy 4 tyres for the price of one OEM runflat, you are either very lucky and have huge price differential in your area or you're looking at putting some cheap cr*p on your car. Trust me, it's a false economy - I've bought cheap tyres that have worn unevenly, lasted a fraction of the time, handled appalingly. The E60/1 IMO is far more sensitive to poor quality tyres than any car I've previously owned.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by juliann
I've had runflats repaired no problem. Also never had the dealer replace tyres (tires) and never had a problem with rim damage - I've done 187k miles (300k km) in my E61.

Runflats can be useful if you have a blow out like I have had at 110mph - and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road - or on your roof down the embankment. I agree the ride is hateful though.

If you can buy 4 tyres for the price of one OEM runflat, you are either very lucky and have huge price differential in your area or you're looking at putting some cheap cr*p on your car. Trust me, it's a false economy - I've bought cheap tyres that have worn unevenly, lasted a fraction of the time, handled appalingly. The E60/1 IMO is far more sensitive to poor quality tyres than any car I've previously owned.

Cheap yes, crap no. Tire Rack (the largest tire retailer in the US - they sell to the dealers and shops who put tires on), maintains a test track at its facility. They regularly let Car and Driver Magazine do tire comparison tests on it.

Tire Rack also does tests on its track, and tested the tire I am getting on an E90 and awarded it very high rankings for Ultra High Performance Summer tires. It is also -far- better ranked and rated than my OEM Dunlop RFTs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

I have driven Sumitomo on previous cars, and they are great tires.

Also, I said "not much more than 1 RFT". I can get a Dunlop RFT for $363. The Sumitomos I am buying are $116 each.

FYI, Tire Rack is shipping them directly to my BMW SA at the dealership, who is expecting them (I called him to let him know). They'll be mounted on Thursday.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

The only time I WISHED i had run flats was when I got 2 flats on my beater audi.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The Sumitomo HTZ III is what I replaced my OEM Dunlops with. For the 1-2000 miles I had them they were great! Very good wet and dry traction, but a bit more roll than the RFTs.
I still have the front 18" 245/40's left waiting on me to get some 18" wheels for the summer
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by juliann

They can be repaired yes - but BMW does not recommend it. Also, when I had the flat one workshop refused to repair. If you ask me, RFT is a crappy concept
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

BTW for anyone that wants to mount/dismount RFTs, you can find a MUCH less expensive alternative to the dealer by going to Bridgestone's or Dunlop's web site and finding a certified shop near you. Cross reference that with roadforce's database, and you got yourself a place within reasonable distance... pretty much from anywhere, probably - where they know how to a. work with RFTs and b. have the best equipment to balance the wheels when the new tires are installed
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Once you remove the RFTs and replace with conventional you'll also need to equip your car with a spare and jack etc.

BTW, if you bought at tirerack by going through the link in my signature you would have earned ad additional rebate.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

why in gods name would you go to your dealership to get tires put on?

Quick Reply: !@#$& - Runflat punctured