E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

$@#%! ... does this sound like I'm getting a new HPFP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my car has run beautifully since I got it. No complaints at all... until today.

Right as I was arriving an engagement party/ceremony I was participating in today my car started to have some hardcore problems. The engine appears to be struggling something fierce and acceleration was a drag (I was going < 30 MPH at the time). I had a new light come on.. not sure if this is the standard CEL or something else. The quick flip through the manual had it listed as Exhaust Gas something or another.. but looks like a CEL to me (picture below). I decided to shut the car off real quick because I had to stop to find out where to park anyway. When I restarted it was immediately the same thing.. struggling engine.. and a clear smell of gasoline in the cabin. I parked pretty quick after this and gave the car a look. It's got 1/4 tank of gas, oil change done recently, no obvious leaks, intake is ridiculously clean with exception of a single dead bug (filter super clean too), and the on-board computer reports no issues at all (?). I'm at 12630 miles at this point on the car and very much still under warranty.

Does this sound like a HPFP issue to you guys? I've read the FAQs and the countless other stories but none of them match my description to the tee.

So the bonus I was saving till the end is.. this happened to me in Virginia Beach.. which is about 230 miles away from where I live. This happened today, Sunday, which happens to be a day that 1) dealership service departments are closed and 2) rental cars are basically only available from airports. Fortunately I have USAA + roadside and it costs a grand total of $0 to have this car towed the ~220 miles to the dealership near where I live. BMW roadside will tow the car for free too but only to the closest dealership (which was 6 miles away in VA Beach). I ended up getting a rental from Norfolk Airport (ORF) for $135 for one day. Last minute rental prices FTW. Hopefully if this is an HPFP or other issue covered by warranty.. I should be able to get the car rental reimbursed by BMW though.

Needless to say this was a huge pain in the ass on a day where traffic is already ridiculous. Organizing and handling this arrangement on a Sunday during a celebration far from home was less than optimal. If this happens to be the HPFP.. BMW has a big Holiday F-You coming from me. :-)
Attached Thumbnails &#036;@#%&#33; ... does this sound like I&#39;m getting a new HPFP?-bmw-fail.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Yikes. Sounds like the dreaded HPFP issue
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I wonder if the new F10 535's have the same HPFP issue?

Note to self stay clear of 335 and 535's
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

I have not heard of this happening on the F10.Is this a first for the HPFP on the new model? Keep us posted please.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
I have not heard of this happening on the F10.Is this a first for the HPFP on the new model? Keep us posted please.

My car is an E60 not F10.. I think he was just commenting in general about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

Usually when you push the button to start your car and it struggles to start instead of just starting immediately, it is a sign that your HPFP is starting to act up. Along with the dreaded engine malfunction reduced power signaling on.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

the f10 535i is equipped with the N55 enigine, IIRC, there were a few cases reported of hpfp failures on the 3 series N55 (LCI 335) engines as well....
Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

As a general rule, is it the 525, 528, and 530 models that do NOT have use a HPFP?

I'm looking for my future replacement and I want to stay clear of models with this issue. Way too many posts on it, so I'm not willing to take the risk (in or out of warranty)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Ceenit
As a general rule, is it the 525, 528, and 530 models that do NOT have use a HPFP?

I'm looking for my future replacement and I want to stay clear of models with this issue. Way too many posts on it, so I'm not willing to take the risk (in or out of warranty)
and the 545/550 do not have hpfp issues as those are all non turbo engines
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

! UPDATE !

Ok for so anyone interested/following this... it turns out my issues was *NOT* the HPFP. It seems I some how wound up with a bad fuel injector and it started leaking fuel.. which is resulting in a few other parts being replaced in the car. I asked if the HPFP was in anyway involved in this and they said no. For some reason my battery was also completely dead when the dealership looked at it yesterday. My guess is the tow truck driver left the key in the ignition with the radio on or something for the 5-6 hours he drove with the car. The battery was fine when I last saw it.. but they replaced it anyway it seems. Looks like I am getting new fuel injectors and a few other parts. I'm told 100% of this is covered under warranty. They started the work yesterday and said they'll be finished tomorrow. I've been driving a 2011 335xi sedan loaner car since yesterday.. man do I want my car back...

I'm not too knowledgeable in this area, so does anyone have any idea why I'd have a single fuel injector go back out of the blue? The service tech said "maybe a spec of dirt got into it or something" .. but not much explanation other than that. I only use 93 octane in my car .. well at least as far as the pump tells me. Any chance I'm getting dirty gasoline or too much ethanol or something from a gas station I went to? I have 0 idea here..

Quick Reply: $@#%! ... does this sound like I'm getting a new HPFP?