E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

$760 for Simple Coilover Installation??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Default $760 for Simple Coilover Installation??

I just got charged for $760 for a KW V3 Coilover Installation in my 2004 530i with stock suspension. I was thinking more of $200-300 range since it's just a swap. This seems very unreasonable to me. When I called for a ball park figure, the owner told me that it depends on the labor time so he doesn't know.

Since I had good relationship with them and I know they charge reasonable amount for their service, I've just dropped my car off and he said he will let me know. They first said coilover installation is something they don't do usually because of the complaints they get for ride quality. I told them coilovers are supposed to feel that way. They agree to install it for me.

This is the detail of the bill I got.

Rear struts installed $285
Front struts installed $380
4 wheel alignment $95

FYI, I live in the Midwest where a 3 bedroom condo costs less than $100K. The indy shop is World Wide Auto in Bloomington, Indiana. They are well known for repairs/maintenance for German cars especially BMWs in this area(Southern Indiana)

I'm thinking of paying them first and suing them. I have a great legal plan through my firm where I don't have to pay anything extra.

What are your thoughts on this? This seems just absolutely ridiculous to me. I'm usually a DIY guy, but with busy work I've decided let them take care of it.

Any recommendations or comments will be appreciated. I seriously need help here.

Last edited by bestofthebest; 11-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

OMG!!! I would ask them to put it back to stock and you do it yourself or take it somewhere else. Since you didn't say YES to the estimate I would raise hell. We charge $300. KW you have to take off the top hat from the f/r shocks. AND you should wait until the coils are settled to align the car.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 535i

If a shop has done suspension work they should have a quote of what this would cost. Did they at any point let you know how much it was going to be?

You kind of messed up paying the bill.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

I didn't say yes to the estimate. I've asked if he figured out how much it is going to be and he sent me this email. I believe they already started the work. Done with rear start working on the front. Trinity Autosport, I'm actually moving to Newport Beach end of this month, so I should've wait to go see you. I was just trying to feel the difference on roads that I'm used to here after the installation but I guess that was a terrible idea. I'm asking them tomorrow to put it back. They'll probably still want me to pay.

Kidduce, thank you for you comment. No, they didn't let me know. I asked them today and they told me the bill will be $760 instead of letting me know how much the estimate will be. The work is not done yet. I already took a day off tomorrow to figure this situation out.

Any more comments?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the price might seem a tad high, but its not that bad. its a lot of working swapping out struts and springs.
how much did you think it would cost?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport
OMG!!! I would ask them to put it back to stock and you do it yourself or take it somewhere else. Since you didn't say YES to the estimate I would raise hell. We charge $300. KW you have to take off the top hat from the f/r shocks. AND you should wait until the coils are settled to align the car.
with alignment?
even if i provide parts?

thats not the norm in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

A 4 by alignment at a BMW shop with out parts runs about $240.00.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

If I understand you correctly, you dropped your car off with the intent of the shop performing a service, even though you didn't have a written estimate...and now that the work has been performed, you want to sue them because you feel they overcharged? What did you expect? On what basis will you be filing a suit? It's a crappy situation to be in, but I'm not sure what you can really do now.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

I would expect labor to be around 350-400 bucks. That is allowing a bit over an hour for each corner with what the rates are in my area per hour. Then add alignment. Maybe they overcharged you 200-300 bucks in my opinion but who is to say they did not run into issues on removal. It is a tad high. You also should consider there is quite some time involved in adjusting coilovers to the perfect ride height. If the shop does not do them everyday that could be additional labor. When I did my S4 I spent 3 hours or more just dialing in the perfect ride height. Maybe the shop is inexperienced.

Now on the part of doing work without a work order you can raise hell on the price. They should not have started any work without being approved. Usually via the estimate.

Last edited by svre46; 11-15-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by bestofthebest
I didn't say yes to the estimate. I've asked if he figured out how much it is going to be and he sent me this email. I believe they already started the work. Done with rear start working on the front. Trinity Autosport, I'm actually moving to Newport Beach end of this month, so I should've wait to go see you. I was just trying to feel the difference on roads that I'm used to here after the installation but I guess that was a terrible idea. I'm asking them tomorrow to put it back. They'll probably still want me to pay.

Kidduce, thank you for you comment. No, they didn't let me know. I asked them today and they told me the bill will be $760 instead of letting me know how much the estimate will be. The work is not done yet. I already took a day off tomorrow to figure this situation out.

Any more comments?
I would talk to them and calmly tell them you didn't agree to the charge. Ask them to put it back. Let me know when you are in town and you are more than welcome to stop by anytime.

Quick Reply: $760 for Simple Coilover Installation??