ECS Teflon Shifter rebuilt kit questions... - 5Series.net - Forums

E39 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E39 (1997 - 2003) 5 series!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
New Members

Default ECS Teflon Shifter rebuilt kit questions...

Hey all,

My son recently acquired an 01' 530i. He is very happy with the car but thought the shifter felt loose and worn (compared to the Japanese vehicles he's driven). He went to ECS and purchased an e60 shifter lever and one of their Teflon shifter rebuilt kits. We dismantled what we needed and made the swaps. When we tested the shifter (static; car still on jack stands), we found that there was little to no difference from what we started with.

One thing that really stood out was when the Teflon bushings were in place; they fit loosely... so loosely that if the aluminum shifter arm was rotated from horizontal, the bushings would fall out of the arm. When assembled and fastened with the bushing pin; I could grasp the arm and move it left to right and when I doing so, I could see the bushings move away from the arm. The only thing keeping them from falling out is the pin.

I spoke to ECS and without giving me a definitive answer about the issue, they decided that the bushings 'may be' defective so they sent us a new set. I explained to them how much a PITA it was to dismantle everything and that when I removed the original pin, I broke the clip that kept it in place. Assuming the same thing would happen when I removed the new pin, I asked them if I could get a replacement pin sent too. They said no. Nice huh?

Anybody install the Teflon bushing kit? What kind of results were achieved? Are the loose fitting bushings normal?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
ECS Teflon Shifter rebuilt kit questions...-ecs2.jpg  

Last edited by BraveHelios; 05-08-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Add picture
BraveHelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
New Members

Anyone deal with ECS and their Teflon bushing kits?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
New Members

Bump... Anybody even change their shifter bushings around here?!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
New Members

Come on... somebody must have info on this subject!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
New Members

Hey there, i am actually getting ready to do this. How did this turn out finally?
JoE30BMW is offline   Reply With Quote