DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

What's Missing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

What's Missing??-dscn0363.jpg

All, I removed the legal liability "You will be injured" sun visor stickers tonight. No offense to legal folks but I don't want the interior of my car reflecting product liability warnings added to save auto manufacturers from frivilous lawsuits

I found that Acetone works very well. Remove the visors from the car (simply pop off the trim piece and unscrew the star screw, size 20, then unplug the power suppy connector and remove). Apply Acetone TO A TOWEL - not the visor, and rub in a circular motion on the sticker and it will dissolve. When I did this the Acetone did not discolor or otherwise damage my visor finish...but use it sparingly and take your time, Acetone is pretty strong!! Keep turning the towell and applying fresh acetone as the dirty spot on the towel will spread ink....good luck!!

By the way...mods feel free to move this to DIY..just wanted to get this in front of folks
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

SWEET! I gotta try this asap!

i hate it when manufacturers put these huge YELLOW lables in plain view in an interior... expecially a luxury interior...! Why not put them on the inside of the visor or better yet NOT put them at all!??!

we know "we'll die if we speed and dont wear out seat belts.. and we're aware that if we make abrupt turns we'll flip the vehicle (on my suv)!

Remove this one:
What's Missing??-warning2.jpg

and maybe replace it with this one....
What's Missing??-specialwarning.jpg
Old 12-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by orlee008' post='507496' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:43 PM
SWEET! I gotta try this asap!

i hate it when manufacturers put these huge YELLOW lables in plain view in an interior... expecially a luxury interior...! Why not put them on the inside of the visor or better yet NOT put them at all!??!

we know "we'll die if we speed and dont wear out seat belts.. and we're aware that if we make abrupt turns we'll flip the vehicle (on my suv)!

Remove this one:
Attachment 41978

and maybe replace it with this one....
Attachment 41979

Orlee...your visor looks like it is some sort of cloth? I'm not sure Acetone would be the best to try with cloth/material as it may well discolor the material. I have removed these kinds of stickers from my other cars that had cloth visors...you need a blow dryer and heat up the sticker, then peel it off. Generally the hardest part with a cloth visor is getting one corner of the sticker started, but once you do - keep heating the sticker and it will peel off. If there is glue residue left on the visor once you have peeled the sticker off, just heat the area and apply WD40 to a clean towel and wipe the glue residue...should come right off.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

GREAT POST!!!!

I am SO FOCKING Tired of seeing every damn thing we own posted with some idiot sticker. FOCK ALL BLOOD SUCKING TRIP AND FALL LAWYERS!!!!

Sorry, just had to vent. I will step off my soapbox now.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

hey thanks for the heads up but my visors are vinyl material. the pic above was just for illustration purposes...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by orlee008' post='507508' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:02 PM
hey thanks for the heads up but my visors are vinyl material. the pic above was just for illustration purposes...

Cool...the acetone removal method with a vinly visor is WAY easier than getting those stubborn stickers off of a cloth visor
Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='507506' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:00 AM
Orlee...your visor looks like it is some sort of cloth? I'm not sure Acetone would be the best to try with cloth/material as it may well discolor the material. I have removed these kinds of stickers from my other cars that had cloth visors...you need a blow dryer and heat up the sticker, then peel it off. Generally the hardest part with a cloth visor is getting one corner of the sticker started, but once you do - keep heating the sticker and it will peel off. If there is glue residue left on the visor once you have peeled the sticker off, just heat the area and apply WD40 to a clean towel and wipe the glue residue...should come right off.

Good luck!
You just answered my question as my visor is a dark (anthracite) cloth that matches the Dachhimmel (ceiling).
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='507533' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:40 PM
You just answered my question as my visor is a dark (anthracite) cloth that matches the Dachhimmel (ceiling).

js - sticker removal from a cloth visor is more work but it can be done. Just heat it up as you go and take your time. If you do have glue residue on the cloth visor after sticker removal...remember NOT to spray the WD40 onto the visor, but on a clean towel and then wipe the visor. Heat up the glue residue before wiping - this will help it come off easier.

Good luck