DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Firstly like to thank radioham for all his help.

I'm trying to get 12V and aux into the center console so I can power up any device there and also route audio into the sound system. My current application is trying to power and play mp3 from my phone via the center console.

I've spent all day today trying to get a wire from the rear fuse box to the center console to power the cigar lighter attachment that radioham kindly let me have. While I was at that I decided to extend my glovebox aux wire to the center console too, I decided to parallel up the aux. So now I have an aux in the glovebox thats connected via the resistors/capacitors and the one in the armrest will bypass them. All this is to power my new phone cradle that I'm building for the HTC TyTn. None of the BMW phone cradles I've tested give me +5V with >1A, so I can't do what I did with my P910i earlier.

Well all the hard work is now complete and the WDS DVDs that I had were completely useless because my car was nothing like in the diagrams. I think I know where to plug in the 12V at the back now, atleast I think its supposed to go into pin 3 on the X11011 connector. I'll give more details when I'm finished in case anyone is interested on planning to do something similar.

I've now got all the cabling done but its not connected yet. I've got to buy a wire connector that goes into the plug at the rear fuse box. I've also got to buy a plug that goes into the audio sockets in the rear of the center console.

I have a few questions.
1. When I removed the glovebox the main wiring loom was connected to 3 things, the glovebox lighting, the glovebox torch socket and a third thing. What is this third thing and where is it supposed to sit. When I opened the glovebox it was simply hanging loose. Either I did that or BMW when they fitted my Aux. This thing look like it has a sensor or a bulb or something. It infact glows a faint red light when on. I just don't know where its supposed to click in because it has some attaching mechanism.
what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-dsc00030.jpg

2. Where are the rear cigar sockets lights connected to. I don't want to connect them directly to the 12v because it will be on all the time and also won't dim with the other interior lights.

3. Anyone know the part number for the plug that goes behind the AV In Out socket in the center console at the back? Is it X13325 (6909000.9) ? But what is the BMW part no.
what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-audio_socket.jpg

4. Does anyone know the part number for the plug that my 12v wire needs to be connected to so that I can plug it into the fuse box. I think its 61.13.8.364.566 but just want to be sure. I'm connecting it to pin 3 in the plug shown in the first picture. Ignore the second picture its just there to show you what part I'm actually after.
what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-rear_plug.jpg

Bruce.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

ok then i use pin 2 for the trunk sockets you use pin 3 for the rear seat sockets just checking contact for wire .i will post later
Attached Thumbnails what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-e60new_013.jpg   what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-e60new_013.jpg   what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-e60new_014.jpg  
Old 02-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

ok bruce,the contact no.is 61 13 8 364 832 also will fit is
61 13 8 364 836
they are same size
.5 1.0mm
nos 8 or 9 on roem
Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

bump...

Anyone about that part I'm holding in my hand, what is it, where does it go?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='390628' date='Feb 12 2007, 06:40 PM
bump...

Anyone about that part I'm holding in my hand, what is it, where does it go?
It looks like a fiber optic cable / connector... I recall there is something like that for the iPod MOST connection?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='390698' date='Feb 12 2007, 08:32 PM
It looks like a fiber optic cable / connector... I recall there is something like that for the iPod MOST connection?
You could be right but then why is it not plugged to something. But then fiber optic for what? I have a CD changer so its not like its there in case I installed one. Does anyone understand the wiring loom enough to tell me what this is? Rudy?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributors

On second thoughts its not an optical sensor because it has like a bulb type plug that can be pulled out from the socket. Also as I mentioned it glows a very faint red light.

I think I spotted this on the WDS diagrams but still don't know where it goes or what is it. Someboy please help this is driving me nuts now.
what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-what1.jpgwhat is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom-what2.jpg
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Contributors

I did NOT say an optical sensor. Fiber optic has nothing to do with sensors. It's a cable like any others, except that it uses photons instead of electrons to move signals around.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='390706' date='Feb 12 2007, 08:40 PM
You could be right but then why is it not plugged to something. But then fiber optic for what? I have a CD changer so its not like its there in case I installed one. Does anyone understand the wiring loom enough to tell me what this is? Rudy?
The MOST bus uses fibre optic to send signals (audio, nav, video) around . I reckon - though I cannot be sure - that you are looking at X13836 which is a spare optical cable connector in the MOST ring. It makes sense that there is a faint red glow, as you are seeing signals on the bus being sent by other components.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='390762' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:13 PM
I did NOT say an optical sensor. Fiber optic has nothing to do with sensors. It's a cable like any others, except that it uses photons instead of electrons to move signals around.
The MOST bus uses fibre optic to send signals (audio, nav, video) around . I reckon - though I cannot be sure - that you are looking at X13836 which is a spare optical cable connector in the MOST ring. It makes sense that there is a faint red glow, as you are seeing signals on the bus being sent by other components.
So where does it attach? Mine is simply hanging loose at the moment.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Contributors

As far as I can tell, it hangs loose. Possibly it's used to test MOST bus functionality when servicing, as it seems to be depicted loose in WDS location pictures (like the one you pasted above) and it's diagrammed as two connectors simply connected to the bus with a temporary (testing?) loop, nothing else.

Quick Reply: what is this at the side of my glovebox wiring loom