DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Valentine One: Rear Parcel Shelf Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

so can we assume that laser is disabled?

c
Old 09-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by rlinger' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:40 AM
so can we assume that laser is disabled?

c
[snapback]176750[/snapback]
Yes, of course by virtue of the sensor being blocked. However, Laser detection is nearly always useless, other than to confirm that you've already been clocked.

The only benefit I can see to a laser detector is that if you're quick enough on the brake and have the time and energy to fight a ticket (if you get one), you may be able to argue that the occifer didn't have tracking data, though that would still be tough to prove since the coppers only need 2-3 seconds to uphold that in court.

Benefit would be if the occifer was spot checking speed instead of constant on, but then you should do your homework when fighting any ticket - with or without a laser detector.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Members

Was the purpose of this install to be stealth? As in Virginia, they are illegal. If not in Virginia here is a nice way to install at the front end. The light under the drivers visor can come out, you have a 12 volt hot out of the 2 wires (use 12 volt test to figure which one is hot) , the visor clip has a torx screw, remove it and the plastic clip, snake wire into the headliner (this clip & torx screw will be used for the ground wire, you can use a wire hanger and snake the V-1 wires toward the windshield, then install small square R-11 connector to hook the V-1 to the unit which is suctioned to the front windshield, all wires hidden, great view for front & rear unobstructed view for Radar / Laser. I have installed my V-1's this way for the last 10 years and learned this trick from a BMW master mechanic. By the way, my install kept laser intact, there are times you can be quick enough and hear it go off as the police are also checking other in front of you as to the speed they are traveling, My install is 1 hour of time, not to knock your install, but from the pix and discription, it looks like a 3 hour plus job. And yes I can add my conceled V-1 stealth box and make the main unit dark, so the bonehead behind me will stop tailgated me....as he can see my V-1. I just did the same install in my new E-61..& my wifes E-90 as I removed the 2 units from my '04X-5 & '03 Z-4 which I sold.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by hanksick' date='Oct 15 2005, 12:28 AM
Was the purpose of this install to be stealth? As in Virginia, they are illegal. If not in Virginia here is a nice way to install at the front end. The light under the drivers visor can come out, you have a 12 volt hot out of the 2 wires (use 12 volt test to figure which one is hot) , the visor clip has a torx screw, remove it and the plastic clip, snake wire into the headliner (this clip & torx screw will be used for the ground wire, you can use a wire hanger and snake the V-1 wires toward the windshield, then install small square R-11 connector to hook the V-1 to the unit which is suctioned to the front windshield, all wires ? hidden, great view for front & rear unobstructed view for Radar / Laser. I have installed my V-1's this way for the last 10 years and learned this trick from a BMW master mechanic. By the way, my install kept laser intact, there are times you can be quick enough and hear it go off as the police are also checking other in front of you as to the speed they are traveling, My install is 1 hour of time, not to knock your install, but from the pix and discription, it looks like a 3 hour plus job. And yes I can add my conceled V-1 stealth box and make the main unit dark, so the bonehead behind me will stop tailgated me....as he can see my V-1.? I just did the same install in my new E-61..& my wifes E-90 as I removed the 2 units from my '04X-5 & '03 Z-4 which I sold.
[snapback]184486[/snapback]
Handsick,

Yes, your suspicion was correct that my primary goal centered around the fact that I live in VA and they are illegal here (only state in the whole country - go figure).

Your idea is interesting though. I may try that out on my wife's new E53. Do you have pics?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Oct 15 2005, 08:36 AM
[quote name='hanksick' date='Oct 15 2005, 12:28 AM']Was the purpose of this install to be stealth? As in Virginia, they are illegal. If not in Virginia here is a nice way to install at the front end. The light under the drivers visor can come out, you have a 12 volt hot out of the 2 wires (use 12 volt test to figure which one is hot) , the visor clip has a torx screw, remove it and the plastic clip, snake wire into the headliner (this clip & torx screw will be used for the ground wire, you can use a wire hanger and snake the V-1 wires toward the windshield, then install small square R-11 connector to hook the V-1 to the unit which is suctioned to the front windshield, all wires ? hidden, great view for front & rear unobstructed view for Radar / Laser. I have installed my V-1's this way for the last 10 years and learned this trick from a BMW master mechanic. By the way, my install kept laser intact, there are times you can be quick enough and hear it go off as the police are also checking other in front of you as to the speed they are traveling, My install is 1 hour of time, not to knock your install, but from the pix and discription, it looks like a 3 hour plus job. And yes I can add my conceled V-1 stealth box and make the main unit dark, so the bonehead behind me will stop tailgated me....as he can see my V-1.? I just did the same install in my new E-61..& my wifes E-90 as I removed the 2 units from my '04X-5 & '03 Z-4 which I sold.
[snapback]184486[/snapback]
Handsick,

Yes, your suspicion was correct that my primary goal centered around the fact that I live in VA and they are illegal here (only state in the whole country - go figure).

Your idea is interesting though. I may try that out on my wife's new E53. Do you have pics?
[snapback]184557[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Members

No pix needed, if you want to have me give you verbal info I can call you or you can call me, the explaination is simple and you will like the end result. Here in Atlanta, we worry about laser (as I have paid my fair of tickets for that). The worst thing now is photo radar as they take your picture at an intersection, your tag, time of day etc, you get the ticket in the mail, the picutre shows your car, speed, a blow up of your tag from the rear (we have no front tags here in Georgia. I fixed that problem, I run with photo image screen which blocks the tag (1/2 of it, so that entire tag is not readable) from a 45 degree angle (as this and from above is where they are taking your picture from) and you cannot read it. Anyway, back to the easy install. The light above the visor pulls out, there is a plug attached with two wires, one is hot, the other cannot be used for the ground as your light works on a momentary switch (as you slide your mirror open & closed it is grounded intermitanly, hence the reason for using the visor clip screw for the ground, all wires can be snaked thru the headliner, the only wire (narrow) can be seen, runs parralel to the rearview mirror plastic cover for your auto wipe sensor and that goes to the special V-1 box, then your telephone jack type wire & connector go to the v-1 from there, I usually put my V-1 slightly to the left and slightly lower that the rearview mirror. Looks good and does not stand out. My cell phone # is 770-855-1404, my name is Hank. I have owned Bimmers since 1975 (my2002tii) and enjoy them.A true car nut at heart. let me know what you think, again if you need to discuss this, just call me. Have a great weekend.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hanksick' date='Oct 15 2005, 10:20 AM
No pix needed, if you want to have me give you verbal info I can call you or you can call me, the explaination is simple and you will like the end result. Here in Atlanta, we worry about laser (as I have paid my fair of tickets for that). The worst thing now is photo radar as they take your picture at an intersection, your tag, time of day etc, you get the ticket in the mail, the picutre shows your car, speed, a blow up of your tag from the rear (we have no front tags here in Georgia. I fixed that problem, I run with photo image screen which blocks the tag (1/2 of it, so that entire tag is not readable) from a 45 degree angle (as this and from above is where they are taking your picture from) and you cannot read it. Anyway, back to the easy install. The light above the visor pulls out, there is a plug attached with two wires, one is hot, the other cannot be used for the ground as your light works on a momentary switch (as you slide your mirror open & closed it is grounded intermitanly, hence the reason for using the visor clip screw for the ground, all wires can be snaked thru the headliner, the only wire (narrow) can be seen, runs parralel to the rearview mirror plastic cover for your auto wipe sensor and that goes to the special V-1 box, then your telephone jack type wire & connector go to the v-1 from there, I usually put my V-1 slightly to the left and slightly lower that the rearview mirror. Looks good and does not stand out. My cell phone # is 770-855-1404, my name is Hank. I have owned Bimmers since 1975 (my2002tii) and enjoy them.A true car nut at heart. let me know what you think, again if you need to discuss this, just call me. Have a great weekend.
[snapback]184573[/snapback]
Old 10-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Hank,

Thanks for the great idea! My wife's car won't show up for another 3 weeks. I may give you a call once I get a chance to try out your instructions.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Oct 15 2005, 10:25 AM
Hank,

Thanks for the great idea!? My wife's car won't show up for another 3 weeks.? I may give you a call once I get a chance to try out your instructions.
[snapback]184575[/snapback]
Old 10-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Members

sounds good, here is my e-mail address direct hanksick@comcast.net

Quick Reply: Valentine One: Rear Parcel Shelf Install