DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

V1 Hardwiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help. I gave it a bloody go and failed. I will show the pictures and maybe somebody can lend a hand. First, I did not find a wire that looked like the one in Casanova's picture. I did find a wire with green and yellow and decided green was green. The first picture shows in the center the bundle that I used. It was the only one with green wire.

Second picture shows the bundle opened and the wire isolated. Third picture is the final job, but V1 won't work with ignition on or off. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributors

I'm pretty sure that this was the same wire I tapped into. I"ll go check.

Edit. That is definately the wire I'm in.

JDN: Do you happen to have a multimeter handy? If you're working on it right now, send me a private message and I'll give you my phone number to call and I'll go out and test mine with you on the phone. Then we can figure out if the connector is clamped in tight enough.

James
Attached Thumbnails V1 Hardwiring-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Contributors

JDN.

I can't see where you grounded it. Is the ground attached?

James
Old 06-25-2004, 12:09 PM
JDN
Contributors

I didn't connect the ground, but held it to the same screw that you grounded to. There was one other that I could ground with. Don't have a multimeter, but since you have confirmed the wire, I will recheck all of the connections. I did not skin the wire. I figured the clamp would bite through. I'll take another shot since we have verified that I am on the right track. Will also connect the ground wire firmly.
James, I believe we have it. I made a hard connection with the ground. It still did not come on, but all of a sudden it did. I believe I have a loose connection to the green/yellow wire. Will firm that up shortly and should be OK. Thanks you very much for the help. I've been wanting to do this every since April 10.
One last edit to confirm that the sucker is working. Mr. Valentine had a lot of wire to bundle, but it's all packed away. The little compartment did not snap back in quite as securely because of the wire to the V1. I could have pulled it through the little hole and may do it yet, but believe it will still bind a little. Hardly noticeable as it is. I will be the only one to see it. Thanks again, James, Casanova, RF, et al
Old 06-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Members

I just got mine installed up by the mirror - it looks great. I had a heck of a time finding a suitable ground. I finally ended up hacking a perfectly good 10mm rench in 1/2 so I could get to the big bolts that mounted to the frame. No damage to the car, and you can't even tell I was in there. And best of all - it works. Thanks everyone for the pictures, that was a big help.

Here is my install after everything is all buttoned up.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Usually a black or brown wire represents ground. You may want to wire chase if you can or ask the service dept what color the ground is and tap into it like you did the power.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

My solution.
I finally installed my V1 without HARDWIRING, and without visible cables (all nicely tucked-in). I utilized the power socket located right above the front passenger's left foot. Will post pictures soon. It includes the concealed Display Unit (Optional Item) which I velcroed next to the tachometer(No visual warnings from the main V1). Very easy, no pro installer required.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Engine: N62

Install picture
Old 06-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributors