DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

V1 Hardwiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a shop for me in Northern Jersey that will do a competent job in hardwiring my V1? I'm also trying to decide whether I should try to do a "stealth" install, but am not sure I want to go too crazy. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:49 AM
Contributors

I think you would be surprised as to how easy it is to do yourself. Do a search on the forum, and you'll find another thread with this topic. We have posted quite a few pictures...

James
Old 06-21-2004, 02:56 AM
Contributors

fuenfer....you can get power from the fuseboard behind the glovebox easily (but its not ignition switched)

JKS...item despatched fri, let me know when it arrives...JT

DD
Old 06-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Contributors

Thanks Dr. D. You are the man...

Also, if you have further questions while you're hardwiring the detector, just post them here (or on the other thread). I'll watch out for them and make sure you get answers quickly.

I hardwired mine above the mirror, but DD is right, the Glovebox is also an excellent option.

james
Old 06-21-2004, 03:51 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jun 21 2004, 06:04 AM
I hardwired mine above the mirror
James, doesn't that make a shamble of the neat factory wiring? That has been my main deterrent to hardwiring. I'm still using the passenger footwell power outlet. I looked at the Cassanova pictures, but hestitate to make such a mess.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:23 AM
Members

I wired mine using the V1 direct wire kit to the pasanger side of the gear shift. It dose cut down on cord length some, and frees up those precious power ports for us cell phone toating, laptop using, blackburry carrying techno wenies.

And the wires are easy to get to, so no damage to anything unless you are heavy handed.

Here is a couple pictures of my install (sorry for the poor lighting).

Old 06-21-2004, 04:55 AM
sj3
Senior Members

fuenfer: Mobile Innovations, (973)614-7004, ask for Nick. I haven't used these guys personally, but they come highly recommended by Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. Call them to see exactly where they are; I've forgotten the city name. HTH.

Sam
Old 06-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributors

JDN,

No, I don't think it made a mess of the wiring. It did seem a little scary taking apart my new $57k car, but it turned out REAL easy. I made a 1/2 inch slit on the little wire casing to get to the green (? see our previous posts, can't remember off top of my head), and used the little wire clip that came with my passport to tap into the power. Then just plugged wire in. Pushed the wires back up, and wha-la! All Done.

Except, I did make the $100 mistake (I've only mentioned it a 100 times on here because I'm trying to save everyone the hassle of having to take their car into the dealer) of unplugging the passenger airbag warning light and turning on the car.

Seriously, I think this is the way to go. Car On, radar on, car off radar off. Hidden up above the mirror, with room for the laser front AND back. We tested the radar detector coming and goign with a buddy of mine that is a local police officer.

James
Old 06-21-2004, 02:05 PM
JDN
Contributors

Thanks, James. I think the little green wire is the right color. Did you find it at about the 9:00 o'clock position in the bundle. Based on Cassanova's picture, that is about where I would expect to find it in the bundle. If I could cut into that area wo exposing all of the wires, I might try it.

The passenger footwell outlet is also powered on and off with ignition switch and I already have it located above the mirror. Getting rid of the cord would be the biggest adtvantage, but after 8 years, it almost a fixture. <_<
Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Yes, it was about the 9:00 position. You can definately just expose a tiny bit of the wires. I didn't even need to use electrical tape to 'clean them up' like I thought I would.

To me, the cord might just give someone an invitation to break in. That's the primary reason I like it out of the way and hard wired.

James

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwiring