DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Unclogging the A/C drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!! My car stinks like sh!t and I found out my rear passenger footwell is SOAKED with water. I searched all over and found a bunch of posts on clogged sunroof drains, but there has not been any rain recently. So it is not water from outside. I am assuming it has something to do with A/C. I never run with the actual A/C button on..but I do leave it on auto and 72. Its winter here so no need for A/C. Is there an EVAP or something inside the car that may have a clogged drain? Anyone suffer from this before? Ideas? DIY?

I thank you in advance for your help.
Vehicle is a 2004 530i.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Members

Funny l have had major footwell flooding too in me E36 model in both front and rear seat areas. I thought it was my front window as l had it changed recently. Then l also assumed that maybe my door seals were not sealing properly. Have since had the main window replaced and to date have not had this issue again as it only happened in heavy rain. Although it being winter in the UK, l always run the A/C. How would the A/C overflow? In having a BMW tech inspect my car as my windows are mutating up from heavy damp, he said that l needed to run my A/C to dry out the air! Does this sound logical? I am not sure anymore! Not sure if this was of any help.

Regards,
Easyrideruk
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530inNYC' post='1091964' date='Jan 16 2010, 02:54 PM
HELP!!! My car stinks like sh!t and I found out my rear passenger footwell is SOAKED with water. I searched all over and found a bunch of posts on clogged sunroof drains, but there has not been any rain recently. So it is not water from outside. I am assuming it has something to do with A/C. I never run with the actual A/C button on..but I do leave it on auto and 72. Its winter here so no need for A/C. Is there an EVAP or something inside the car that may have a clogged drain? Anyone suffer from this before? Ideas? DIY?

I thank you in advance for your help.
Vehicle is a 2004 530i.
Sounds like your heater core has gone bad. I had this happen on two of my Saabs. Does the water smell like antifreeze? If so that is what the issue is. Sorry but my experience is that the dash has to come out in order to replace the heater core. Most of the water/antifreeze runs down the driver's side foot well and runs back to the rear foot well.

Let me know what it is.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Members

Did you have any work done to the passenger side door or doors? such as a window regulator or any body work whatsoever? What happens is there is a vapor barrier that is stuck to the inside of the door with windshield adhesive. A lot of times when it has been removed, the person who removed it doesn't reseal it properly and it will allow rain to enter the car from the bottom edge of the door. Also, is it just the rear passenger floor? If it is only that one area, I doubt that the A/C drain is causing this. Try running your A/C and look under the car, you should see water draining under the car near the transmission/engine area.