DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

TRUCK HORN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by RJH&CO' post='612221
I don't mind someone talking on the phone while driving, you are right in saying it isn't anyone's business outside of the individuals on either side of that phone call. But it becomes my business when that driver begins obstructing the flow of traffic due to that distracting phone call. (usually driving to slow, making horrible lane changes, etc.) Hopefully the hands-free law starting here in LA on July 1st will help. Definitely a hard law to enforce, but at least it's a start.
+1 I agree. Sometimes I wish I have a cell-zapper around those annoying drivers who are more focused on their conversation rather than their driving.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Members

...wow, this is a new low. This topic wins the prize.

And I thought "cup holder" was a low point, what next?...

I got it, how about the golden favorite-"Post pics of your GF !" thread- always a hit with the kiddies.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by carfucious' post='612336' date='Jun 29 2008, 09:28 AM

I got it, how about the golden favorite-"Post pics of your GF !" thread- always a hit with the kiddies.

I wonder what other threads here you think you are too high to read or do not meet your standards? Ever heard of "there are no dumb questions, just stupid answers"? Take it easy there....
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by carfucious' post='612336' date='Jun 29 2008, 11:28 AM

Confucius say, asking stupid question beats fixing stupid mistake...

Lighten up.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='612361' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:01 PM
I wonder what other threads here you think you are too high to read or do not meet your standards? Ever heard of "there are no dumb questions, just stupid answers"? Take it easy there....
Thank you for your direct response.

I believe I already indicated other threads that I thought were of a standard that may not be altogether compelling.

The point is, this may not be a great idea. It may be only my feeling, but a mid-luxury sedan is an unusual place to have "train horns" honestly considered for installation. Only two other respondents actually stated as much. I am sure most of us have seen those wonderful y@utube videos of people driving around and scaring innocent by-standers on the street for no other good reason than for their own pleasure, having very little to do with cellphone abuses.

To stay on topic and as a real aid to the thread starter, to find the wires for the horns- Open the hood and set the parking brake. Have a companion set in the car and turn the key to the accessory position. Then have the assistant sound the horn until you are able to locate and disconnect the wires leading to them, having a third assistant capture this on video may make for some good entertainment later. Use a volt/ohm meter to discern the polarity while activating the horn button. Then connect to the wiring as instructed in the new horn installation manual.
Keeping with the spirit of the theme, I am tempted to suggest that you proudly drill and mount the horns right on the hood, however, I am sensing that a more stealth location may be desireable, take a look at the area in the grill when the belly panel is removed.

If you are indeed successful in installing these horns, might I suggest some level of restraint in their use, as the day you blast someone coming home from an all night bender you may find yourself in an awkward, if not dangerous situation.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by carfucious' post='612410' date='Jun 29 2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you for your direct response.

I believe I already indicated other threads that I thought were of a standard that may not be altogether compelling.

The point is, this may not be a great idea. It may be only my feeling, but a mid-luxury sedan is an unusual place to have "train horns" honestly considered for installation. Only two other respondents actually stated as much. I am sure most of us have seen those wonderful y@utube videos of people driving around and scaring innocent by-standers on the street for no other good reason than for their own pleasure, having very little to do with cellphone abuses.

To stay on topic and as a real aid to the thread starter, to find the wires for the horns- Open the hood and set the parking brake. Have a companion set in the car and turn the key to the accessory position. Then have the assistant sound the horn until you are able to locate and disconnect the wires leading to them, having a third assistant capture this on video may make for some good entertainment later. Use a volt/ohm meter to discern the polarity while activating the horn button. Then connect to the wiring as instructed in the new horn installation manual.
Keeping with the spirit of the theme, I am tempted to suggest that you proudly drill and mount the horns right on the hood, however, I am sensing that a more stealth location may be desireable, take a look at the area in the grill when the belly panel is removed.

If you are indeed successful in installing these horns, might I suggest some level of restraint in their use, as the day you blast someone coming home from an all night bender you may find yourself in an awkward, if not dangerous situation.
Thank you for finally throwing some help out here. I think everyones general opinion is that I shouldnt go ahead with this.... The truth is, I am out of warranty and my horn really is broken right now. My freind bought this thing for me, and he had one in his car for years. It's not dangerous like everyone is making it out to be. I can understand the concern about how people can be startled, but it actually just works a lot better. I am not sounding it out of my window to scare unsuspecting people like those A**holes. It is actually just to repair my horn now, and it was a gift. Yes i could probably go get the OEM horn, but this works a lot better and I have it here for free, so again... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Imagine this horn
on the BMW... lol
Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I carry one of those canned air horns you buy in a boat store.

Favorite use is when the kids in the Camarro pull up beside with woofers blasting and window open.

Five or four short blasts makes my point obvious and then the birds flip!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Members

i'm still looking for a Train Horn. That would be better I guess.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I've added Hella air horns to most of my cars and they are a bit louder, but it's the different sound that makes them more effective! I just always figure it's better to be able to get the attention of the moron who is making that lane change right into my car BEFORE he/she hits me!!

Quick Reply: TRUCK HORN!!!!