DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sub options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: the family sedan...

hi folks,

ok, one of the first things I wanna do to my whip is add a sub to the somewhat decent sounding front stage of the stock system.

Requirements:

I want to keep as much trunk space as possible
No need for miami-style bass
Accuracy, not SPL
I want to keep my spare, so no fiberglass in the spare well

Wouldn't an infinite baffle set up be best, considering the car is very well insulated? I don't mind tearing up the rear package tray at all and mounting a couple of 8's.

I've been out of the IASCA scene for over 10 yrs now, so I'm not as up to date with the latest and greatest car audio gear. What are decent subs out on the market these days?

Thanks peeps.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by spindrome' post='468411' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:37 PM
hi folks,

ok, one of the first things I wanna do to my whip is add a sub to the somewhat decent sounding front stage of the stock system.

Requirements:

Accuracy, not SPL

Wouldn't an infinite baffle set up be best, considering the car is very well insulated? I don't mind tearing up the rear package tray at all and mounting a couple of 8's.

I've been out of the IASCA scene for over 10 yrs now, so I'm not as up to date with the latest and greatest car audio gear. What are decent subs out on the market these days?

Thanks peeps.
Truthfully, there is no realistic and cost effective answer to your dilemma. The only sensible thing to do is next time get premium sound.
Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by spindrome' post='468411' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:37 PM
hi folks,

Requirements:

Accuracy, not SPL

Thanks peeps.
Truthfully, there is no realistic and cost effective answer to your dilemma for an e60. The only sensible thing to do is next time get premium sound.
Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

You can go with the earthquake shallow mount 8" subs, they will fit under the seat cleanly. In addition to that you will need an amp to power those. Search the forum, some members have opted for this set up already.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Members

My Ride: the family sedan...

yea, i read that one post... not sure how much air can be moved with a .25ft3 box (estimated size).

guess i'm SOL. anyone out there do an infinite baffle set up?

anyone, anyone, beuhler?

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='468457' date='Sep 11 2007, 01:17 PM
You can go with the earthquake shallow mount 8" subs, they will fit under the seat cleanly. In addition to that you will need an amp to power those. Search the forum, some members have opted for this set up already.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Members

This is what I did. It is a bit complicated, but hopefully you will find some useful information in the post.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=41450

I need to provide a current picture of the final install, as the current pictures are misleading as to the final footprint the rig occupies.

I responded to your post because you state you are interested in sonic articulation. The 'mid-woofer' design was necessary to achieve good articulation from ~150 down to 40 Hz. I am also pleased with the flexibility provided by the cascading crossovers.

Originally Posted by spindrome' post='468481' date='Sep 11 2007, 03:57 PM
yea, i read that one post... not sure how much air can be moved with a .25ft3 box (estimated size).

guess i'm SOL. anyone out there do an infinite baffle set up?

anyone, anyone, beuhler?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

if you dont want SPL and want sound quality get a sub and make a sealed enclosure to save space there you go! just do little bit of searching....even though you might hate looking but youll find a post eventually