DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sub and Amp? How do I do it?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

So I have these two toys lying around from my last car, but I'm having second thoughts...

Sub and Amp?  How do I do it?!-sub_and_amp_002.jpg

Sub and Amp?  How do I do it?!-sub_and_amp_003.jpg

I'm not terribly worried about the trunk space as the trunk is pretty darn big as it is. However, I'm worried about the sound getting through the back seat...am I just going to be filling up the trunk with noise and not the cabin?

Or should I just bag this idea and go with the Earthquake 8's under the seats and buy a new amp for that??

PS the JBL amp is 600W and its a monosub amp which fits the specs of the kicker L7 perfectly.

And if the answer is yes....how do I do it? I can run power and ground cables fine, but how do I get the signal via the RCA's from the amp to the head unit and also a remote wire? Will idrive be confused with a new amp and sub? (I do have logic 7 sound)

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

No thoughts either way? Earthquakes or this setup I already have (free)?

Am I out of my league to do an amp install? How difficult is it?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='663369' date='Sep 6 2008, 05:13 PM
No thoughts either way? Earthquakes or this setup I already have (free)?

Am I out of my league to do an amp install? How difficult is it?

You should go for the Earthquakes, they will sound better than the sub in the trunk (it's pretty good isolated)
Old 09-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I'm sure if you 'opened' up the boot this would sound quite good too.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='674075' date='Sep 20 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm sure if you 'opened' up the boot this would sound quite good too.
Forgive my ignorance...BUT how would I go about doing that? Ha. Sorry.

And thanks Bruce and Sas for the input...it is much appreciated!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='674916' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:09 PM
Forgive my ignorance...BUT how would I go about doing that? Ha. Sorry.

And thanks Bruce and Sas for the input...it is much appreciated!

I stumbled on this as i was browsing through...
Well, as far as i only know of one way to do this.
Mainly because, the car's wiring being fiberoptics or so i'm told.
the guy did my L7 kicker and he pretty much installed everything from within the trunk.
What's nice about european cars is that the battery is in the back
now the only thing that may cost you anythig really is the part that acts as a "pthway" between the amp to the car.
I'll have to find out what the part number is, but it's around $500.
I got it for cheaper as my cousin owns a mechanic's shop.

Also as for the boot being opened, what i had done to mine is basically cut an air hole smack in the middle(about 2 - 2 1/2" diameter). Used a plastic piece as a border to make it look clean that can be bought from a automobile electronics store or from websites i'm sure.
The insulation on these vehicles is ridiculous.... if not air tight...

After the install what you might want to do is dynamat the trunk area...
Personally not only my trunk, but my bumper and rearview mirror rattle if i pump it...

On a side note... the center break light on the rear windshield has a tendency to rattle a lot from the constant bass...
To fix that all you need to do is pull off the cover and its just one or both of the clips that hold the housing together.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

The L7 should be more then loud enough. The strereo speaker wiring is not fiberoptic so you should not have any trouble taping into the factory system for an audio signal. No 500 plug and play item will be required. Seeing as your not familiar with installation id suggest spending the $100 or so to have Al and Eds install it for you. They probably know the wiring by heart and can tap in to your system with out any guess work.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

you should go for 1000w set up.. sounds good!!!.. is it ported or seal box?

sealed box with 600w set up might not push that much... go search my post with my pictures and you can see my audio setup
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='677682' date='Sep 25 2008, 12:35 AM
you should go for 1000w set up.. sounds good!!!.. is it ported or seal box?

sealed box with 600w set up might not push that much... go search my post with my pictures and you can see my audio setup
Its a sealed box, but it sounded pretty solid in my old mustang. I wasn't able to find your pictures and setup...can you point me in the right direction? Thanks for the response.

And BEE M...do you have a picture of your hole and plastic piece setup? I would like to see what that looks like if you get a chance.

Thanks again everybody.