DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Had the stealer change them out...the last one isn't easy to get to with the V8. Cost me 345 for the labor but extra brownie points from the dealer!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='466573' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:56 PM
Rudy - thanks for the PDF. It covers removing the ignition coil specifically - doesn't mention location of spark plugs and how to access them. Am I missing something??? I may have to buy Boschs and ask my SA to install them....

If you bought your car at an exceptionally low price, the seller may not have included plugs. Might want to check; maybe he kept them. LOL
Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='829918' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:15 PM
If you bought your car at an exceptionally low price, the seller may not have included plugs. Might want to check; maybe he kept them. LOL
Ha ha..nope...no such worries here. Car runs fine after plug changes. I posted the pix of the old ones at 70K somewhere.. They looked horrible!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

Wow, 345 for labor? I should start changing them for people Although it was easier on my car since I only had 6 plugs and I have heard that last one is a B. However, didn't someone post a helpful thing to remove some items to get access to the last plug?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Members

I did mine yesterday and it took almost three hours! Mostly because the little rubber thingy in the socket was missing so the plugs wouldn't come up with the tool. I had to fish them up from the depths of the engine using the coils... not ideal. The correct tool would have helped alot.

Access is tight for the rear ones on each side but I found it helped a lot to remove the plastic under the microfilters. (In doing so I also realized it's high time for new microfilters...)
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by mikael' post='835053' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:24 AM
I did mine yesterday and it took almost three hours! Mostly because the little rubber thingy in the socket was missing so the plugs wouldn't come up with the tool. I had to fish them up from the depths of the engine using the coils... not ideal. The correct tool would have helped alot.

Access is tight for the rear ones on each side but I found it helped a lot to remove the plastic under the microfilters. (In doing so I also realized it's high time for new microfilters...)
have you seen that? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...;show=&st=0

By the way, to replace all the 8 spark plugs took me about less of 1 hour if you have the right tools of course. and it does not need to remove the microfilters/plastic.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by miguex' post='835192' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:45 PM
have you seen that? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...;show=&st=0

By the way, to replace all the 8 spark plugs took me about less of 1 hour if you have the right tools of course. and it does not need to remove the microfilters/plastic.
No, I hadn't seen that, but that's what I did too. For me it was helpful to remove the plastics, and it's very easy, 2 mins tops. But to each his own I guess.

Three hours was maybe counting a little high, and it included a trip to the store to look for a new socket with the darn rubber grommet... But one hour is very quick, I'll call you in 100'000 kms!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i. Bluetooth upgrade, SS brake lines, iPod interface upgrade. Air intake kit, sport suspension, 20% tint. Other: 2001 Audi A4 Avant: S4 suspension, 20% tint, painted calipers, slotted rotors, iPod interface, custom grilles.
Originally Posted by mikael' post='835053' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:24 AM

I have a 2004 525i and it was as straight forward as it gets. Remove the cabin filter and assembly on the passenger, which is very easy. Take off the plastic cover the cabin filter sits on. (I agree with mikael, this is a perfect time to change the cabin filters - which takes about 3 minutes each side.) Then, pugs 5 and 6 (or the 2 closest to the firewall) are very easy to get at. Really, it's nothing special. If you've ever changed out spark plugs before, don't feel intimidated at all.

After loosening the plugs completely, I use a magnetic stick (about $4 at auto parts store) to grab the plug and pull it out. When you put the new plug in, you can move it into position with the magnet, then use a flat-head screwdriver - or something similar) to hold the plug in place while you take the magnet away. Then, simply use your socket set. Hand tighten with extension until you feel it get tight, then use a socket wrench to turn tighten it (which is probably less than 1/8 turn). You'll want at least an 8" extension for your socket on these cars.

If there is oil in the chamber (you'll know there is oil in the chamber if the plug is full of oil), then you'll need to change your valve cover gasket.

I changed my plugs today. All six from start to finish was about 1 hour (I'm very tedious). It could have been done in 30 minutes if being fast was my goal.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

I just did mine for the first time on a M54 (2004 530i) and it took me less than 30 minutes. I didn't even need to remove the cabin filter. I did use a telescope magnetic pick up tool which is what saved me so much time and headache
Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Amethest Grey 530i--AC Schnitzer Kit all the way around--Quad Magna Flow Exhaust--20" MMR wheel 4.5 inch lip--

I'm about to change my spark plugs next weekend. Just wondering if you need that special tools from the dealer? Just want to make sure everything I need is at my local auto hobby shop before I do this.

Originally Posted by toddstebleton' post='1069043' date='Dec 6 2009, 11:54 PM
I have a 2004 525i and it was as straight forward as it gets. Remove the cabin filter and assembly on the passenger, which is very easy. Take off the plastic cover the cabin filter sits on. (I agree with mikael, this is a perfect time to change the cabin filters - which takes about 3 minutes each side.) Then, pugs 5 and 6 (or the 2 closest to the firewall) are very easy to get at. Really, it's nothing special. If you've ever changed out spark plugs before, don't feel intimidated at all.

After loosening the plugs completely, I use a magnetic stick (about $4 at auto parts store) to grab the plug and pull it out. When you put the new plug in, you can move it into position with the magnet, then use a flat-head screwdriver - or something similar) to hold the plug in place while you take the magnet away. Then, simply use your socket set. Hand tighten with extension until you feel it get tight, then use a socket wrench to turn tighten it (which is probably less than 1/8 turn). You'll want at least an 8" extension for your socket on these cars.

If there is oil in the chamber (you'll know there is oil in the chamber if the plug is full of oil), then you'll need to change your valve cover gasket.

I changed my plugs today. All six from start to finish was about 1 hour (I'm very tedious). It could have been done in 30 minutes if being fast was my goal.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs