DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

someone can help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 530d,2004,500nm,navi profesional.bi-xenon ,adaptive curve light,active sterring,etc...

hi there,
i just buy sport seats for my e60 ,in that momet i have in my car standard seat,someone can help me whit any documentation about seats,and whiring?

thank
Old 08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Members

Hi,
I did install comfort seats (almost similar to sport seats from wiring point of view) instead of my standard seat. I can give you a lot of help, but first I need to know some details from you. Your standard seats, are they manual or electric, if electric do they have memory (driver or both), do they have heating? and finally do the seat belts have one or two pretensioner (drive & passenger). As for your new Sports Seats, I presume both have memory, but please advise do they have heating, climatization (ventilation), active function and finally do the seat belts have one or two pretensioner (drive & passenger).

Knowing above data, will help me give you step by step guide to retrofit your new sports seats. Thanks.

mwaly
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Members

My Ride: bmw 530d,2004,500nm,navi profesional.bi-xenon ,adaptive curve light,active sterring,etc...

thank

you have a PM!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='320892' date='Aug 10 2006, 02:23 AM
Hi,
I did install comfort seats (almost similar to sport seats from wiring point of view) instead of my standard seat. I can give you a lot of help, but first I need to know some details from you. Your standard seats, are they manual or electric, if electric do they have memory (driver or both), do they have heating? and finally do the seat belts have one or two pretensioner (drive & passenger). As for your new Sports Seats, I presume both have memory, but please advise do they have heating, climatization (ventilation), active function and finally do the seat belts have one or two pretensioner (drive & passenger).

Knowing above data, will help me give you step by step guide to retrofit your new sports seats. Thanks.

mwaly

ABOUT pretensioner where to watch,to see that?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Members

Hi,
Please accept my apology for delay in reply, following are main steps to install your new seats:
1. Make a complete software update to your car at your BMW dealer. This step is only needed if your car ahs an old software version, Current software version is 23.1 (I think!)
2. Disconnect main battery cable during retrofit operation to avoid getting error messages which need to be deleted at a BMW shop. Your seats are connected by a wiring harness from the vehicle, each seat has two plugs, a large yellow rectangular connector which serves the restraint system (air bags, belt pretensioners..etc) and a small power plug that fits into the seat module located under the seat.
3. If your both original seat and new seat have the same pretensioner system (e.g. one for each seat) then no wiring modification is needed for restraint system. If for example, the new seats have two pretensioners instead of one, then a wiring modification is needed.
4. It is strongly recommended you transfer original seats pretensioners to the new seats to avoid any error message.
5. Remove old seats from the cat (two screws Torx 50 at front side), replace pretensioners to the sport seats as in 4 above and install the sport seats to your car.
6. Connect the yellow plug to corresponding club in the new seat and fit the small black plug to the seat control module.
7. Reconnect battery cable and test the seats for proper operation.
8. Now every time you will need to update the software of your car, you will get an error message from the seat modules as these do not belong to your car but have been coded to the car of the sport seats. This could avoided by one of the following solutions; every time you make update, remove the small power plug from your sport seat module and fit it in the modules of your original seat only during update, alternatively you can thru BMW dealer make a sports seat retrofit which will request new seat modules to be installed, this will cost you about 700 Dollars.

I hope above information is OK and should you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

mwaly
Old 08-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='322210' date='Aug 13 2006, 01:58 PM
Hi,
Please accept my apology for delay in reply, following are main steps to install your new seats:
1. Make a complete software update to your car at your BMW dealer. This step is only needed if your car ahs an old software version, Current software version is 23.1 (I think!)
2. Disconnect main battery cable during retrofit operation to avoid getting error messages which need to be deleted at a BMW shop. Your seats are connected by a wiring harness from the vehicle, each seat has two plugs, a large yellow rectangular connector which serves the restraint system (air bags, belt pretensioners..etc) and a small power plug that fits into the seat module located under the seat.
3. If your both original seat and new seat have the same pretensioner system (e.g. one for each seat) then no wiring modification is needed for restraint system. If for example, the new seats have two pretensioners instead of one, then a wiring modification is needed.
4. It is strongly recommended you transfer original seats pretensioners to the new seats to avoid any error message.
5. Remove old seats from the cat (two screws Torx 50 at front side), replace pretensioners to the sport seats as in 4 above and install the sport seats to your car.
6. Connect the yellow plug to corresponding club in the new seat and fit the small black plug to the seat control module.
8. Now every time you will need to update the software of your car, you will get an error message from the seat modules as these do not belong to your car but have been coded to the car of the sport seats. This could avoided by one of the following solutions; every time you make update, remove the small power plug from your sport seat module and fit it in the modules of your original seat only during update, alternatively you can thru BMW dealer make a sports seat retrofit which will request new seat modules to be installed, this will cost you about 700 Dollars.

I hope above information is OK and should you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

mwaly

THANK YOU WERRY MUCH!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='322210' date='Aug 13 2006, 07:58 PM

When you say you get an error message, what exactly happens?
What I mean is does it stop the car getting software updates? or does it update but just report an error at the end of it saying there is something wrong with the seats?

And would his be the same when going from sport seats to comfort seats?

I really do prefer the sport seats in general over the comfort, but I want the comfort headrests which I was going to fit, but I also need to retrofit the lumbar too, and by the time I have paid for headrests and the parts for Lumbar it would be cheaper to buy a complete comfort interior.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Members

Almost all control modules in the E60, have a sort of rom which is coded to this specific car (eg VIN number, in one way non reversal operation) the first time it is installed in the car. So contro modules can not be swapped between cars. When you perform software update, the computer asks DID YOU CHANGE ANY CONTROL MODULE? if you answer NO it starts checking all modules and the operation stops as it will find that seat modules have been replaced and ask you to replace seat modules and abort the ioperation. If you answer YES, you will be guide to reinstall new modules (Brand new uncoded) or giuded to a retrofit operation.

That is why, to avoid all this hassle, it is easier to connect original modules during software update.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='324089' date='Aug 18 2006, 06:02 PM
Almost all control modules in the E60, have a sort of rom which is coded to this specific car (eg VIN number, in one way non reversal operation) the first time it is installed in the car. So contro modules can not be swapped between cars. When you perform software update, the computer asks DID YOU CHANGE ANY CONTROL MODULE? if you answer NO it starts checking all modules and the operation stops as it will find that seat modules have been replaced and ask you to replace seat modules and abort the ioperation. If you answer YES, you will be guide to reinstall new modules (Brand new uncoded) or giuded to a retrofit operation.

That is why, to avoid all this hassle, it is easier to connect original modules during software update.

Thanks for that.

I can't be bothered with all that, I actually prefer the lower position of the part manual sport seat so will stick with it and do the headrests, the only thing I really wanted was the headrests and lumbar, but started to get cheaeper to get complete seats.

Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='322210' date='Aug 13 2006, 01:58 PM
Hi,

mwaly

hi,
the time to mount my new seat is coming!
my car has standaard seat (no lombar setings,and only electrical setings for up and down,no memory)
i saw that comfort seat has many electrical setings,this function will be aviable on my car?
that new seat has memory,can i do memory to work?

thank