DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Some Questions Regarding GT1 & OPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Question Some Questions Regarding GT1 & OPS

Hi, after some searching I still can't find definite answers for a few questions I had.

I want to at least be able to diagnose my vehicle (06 530i, pre-lci) and reset warning lights, and potentially do the same for other vehicles. I understand the risks, just trying to make sure I understand the differences between these software before digging any deeper.
  1. What is the difference between GT1 and OPS? From what I gathered, GT1 diagnoses all BMWs and can program up to 2006 models, while OPS diagnoses and programs post 2006 models. Is this correct?
  2. I'm assuming I'll need GT1 for diagnosing and/or programming my car (E60 pre-lci). Am I right?
  3. Can I use either software to diagnose other vehicles, including non-BMWs?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

1. What is the difference between GT1 and OPS? From what I gathered, GT1 diagnoses all BMWs and can program up to 2006 models, while OPS diagnoses and programs post 2006 models. Is this correct?

GT1 is an older interface and software that could be used to program and diagnose older cars. OPS is merely an interface, not a software. In other words you have to use OPS as a connector with a software. I don't think GT1 can program any E60.

2. I'm assuming I'll need GT1 for diagnosing and/or programming my car (E60 pre-lci). Am I right?

You need DIS rather than GT1 for your car. DIS is actually the diagnosing section of GT1, so DIS can diagnose but not program. DIS is used in concert with SSS which does the actual programming/coding. The e60 use a different bus system so it cannot be coded/programmed with GT1 but it could possibly be diagnosed. You need OPS or OPPS to program things such as your idrive, TCU, etc. While it is not mandatory, OPS, OPPS is way faster and more efficient. For example programming your idrive with a connector that goes to the diagnosis port would take roughly 10 hours, using the optical connection through the most bus with OPS or OPPS would take 1 hour. The longer the programming the greater the likelyhood of failure.

3. Can I use either software to diagnose other vehicles, including non-BMWs?
No, these software are BMW specific, you can use them on a Mini but that is it.

You can purchase a regular scanner. However, while you will be able to use it on any car you will not get bmw specific codes and pretty much amounts to being useless because the code is so generic. Also, a regular scanner cannot program a bmw.

There is a completely new system now which uses a different interface If i recall correctly it is called E-sys I can't remember what the inerface are called.

If you plan on diagnosing and or programming your bmw, your least costly option would be to download BMW standard tools which is a factory level software suite (very dangerous in ignorant hands). You can use this software along with a cable from ebay and you can pretty much do anything to the car. Most DIYers on the forum have some setup of BMW standard tool(Winkfp, INPA, NCSExpert, and Tool32). It is a pain to get functioning properly but it is invaluable once you get it going and learn the ins and outs.

Last edited by Gee_115; 01-15-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

These questions are actually more suited for another forum, BMWcoding.com. That forum is dedicated to programming and software. If you are going to parlay into coding or programming you need to spend some serious time on that website.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Gee_115
[I]
Thanks for the detailed response. I'll take a look at the forum as well. This stuff really interests me, but damn there's a steep learning curve.