DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sirius Retrofit E60 with no Prep Completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in CT, if you do the work the dealer wont give you any crap
but dont expect them to do it for you because its not BMW aproved

im sure it will work with out nav I dont have logic 7 in (545i) mine just nav
sounds great!
if you need any help PM me or i can call you

im going to tackle the bmw ipod interface next

Originally Posted by E_90 driver' post='533614' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:09 PM
WOW!! I almost said screw it with a great deal on an 04 525i that I found because it didn't have SAT Prep. I noticed that you have NAV...would this work on non-NAV idrive with the premium sound? If so, I think I'll def. go and take a look at the vehicle again. More importantly, where are you guys that have done this located? I'm in Minnesota, and hopefully I'll get my 5 and be doing this shortly.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E_90 driver' post='533614' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:09 PM
WOW!! I almost said screw it with a great deal on an 04 525i that I found because it didn't have SAT Prep. I noticed that you have NAV...would this work on non-NAV idrive with the premium sound? If so, I think I'll def. go and take a look at the vehicle again. More importantly, where are you guys that have done this located? I'm in Minnesota, and hopefully I'll get my 5 and be doing this shortly.

Thanks!!!
I have NAV, I do not have logic 7. I also have ver 27 SW loaded. I do not know if the level of iDrive SW matters, just want to let you know what I am at. Once again I followed the instructions and installed the BMW SAT in the glove box. Just asked dealer to " RETROFIT." that's it. I paid the 1 hour to connect to their computer to do so.

Today I changed the location of the TERK Ant. I had placed on the rear deck all the way down at the glass/deck line at first. Today I removed the rear seat and pulled the rear deck forward as outlined in this post and mounted the TERK under the Deck with two sided velcro. I think the reception improved!!

your don't know how grateful I am to 740iz's post.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i: Titanium Silver / Gray Dakota, Premium Package, Sport Package, Nav, HUD, Xenon, Cold Weather Package (yeah it gets cold in Vegas)

Thanks for the great info!!!

Does the tuner "mount" inside the glove box?
How do you keep it from jostling around?
Can you explain how you routed the ANT wiring from the rear deck to the glove box?
Any special tools required?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

With this retrofit, can you have your Ipod installed too? or is there no way? since this is not factory install?

I already have an ipod installed in the place of the CD changer, so the only way to get the sirius is to have it installed by factory?

Also my car is 09/03 build with No sat prep. I just want Sirius dammit.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by running man' post='552591' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the great info!!!

Does the tuner "mount" inside the glove box?
How do you keep it from jostling around?
Can you explain how you routed the ANT wiring from the rear deck to the glove box?
Any special tools required?

Nothing special I did Have a Trim Pannel remover the sirius unit it secuted with 3M Double sided Tape (emblem tape) the wire from the antenna in the rear
runs along the passenger floor just pop the trim off on the trim off that says "BMW" and run the cable then pop it back on its easy to pass it into the glove box
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='555409' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:17 AM
With this retrofit, can you have your Ipod installed too? or is there no way? since this is not factory install?

I already have an ipod installed in the place of the CD changer, so the only way to get the sirius is to have it installed by factory?

Also my car is 09/03 build with No sat prep. I just want Sirius dammit.

Should be able to do it triick will be figureing out how to share the power im sure theres a BMW adapter that can be used for this
as for the fiberoptic you will just need to daisy chain it thru so the light passes thru both devices. then code it at the dealer
im going to try the ipod thing in the next couple months I may move the Sirius tuner back into the trunk (the factory location)
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 740izo6' post='556851' date='Apr 6 2008, 08:01 AM
Should be able to do it triick will be figureing out how to share the power im sure theres a BMW adapter that can be used for this
as for the fiberoptic you will just need to daisy chain it thru so the light passes thru both devices. then code it at the dealer
im going to try the ipod thing in the next couple months I may move the Sirius tuner back into the trunk (the factory location)

Oh you can pass the fiberoptic through? like you mentioned a chain? Awesome!!!

HEre is a pic attached. Is this what you mean?

Sirius Retrofit E60 with no Prep Completed-ipod___sirius.jpg

If so... I want to do it!!! -) let me know. Thank you in advance.

MK
Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='557231' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:12 AM

Attachment 47677

MK

Exactly the power will have to be split also
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='557231' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:12 AM

Attachment 47677

MK
This may or may not work depending on how the optic fiber signal is passed and processed. The devices may not be configured to chain i.e. pass through the signal. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong here. The power is the least of the problems because that can very easily be paralleled up. But we don't know what interaction is required between the Head Unit and the device before both can start talking to each other. If you simply chain the devices then the MOST bus may get confused because of the multiple signals on it, especially if they are in the wrong order. However if the order in which the devices are connected on the MOST does not matter then your solution will work. Try it after you get the SAT option retrofitted.

If that doesn't work then something that will work will need a switch like

http://www.amazon.com/SW100-Digital-Optica...s/dp/B000812QC6 http://www.amazon.com/SW100-Digital-Optica...s/dp/B000812QC6
Old 11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 2006

Hi 740izo6 (and anyone else who has successfully done this),

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've just seen it now and I plan to do the same thing on my '06 525i. Great writeup! I just have a few questions if you don't mind:

- When you put the car in radio readiness mode to identify which fiber has the red light in it, did you get any iDrive error messages because the MOST ring is broken at this time? If so, did the dealer have to clear them?

- By not using the SIR-SP splitter and directly connecting the antenna to one of the tuner module ports, don't you lose the signal from the terrestrial repeater sites? It's my understanding that one antenna port is for SAT, and the other one is for TER (terrestrial).

Thanks!
cinergi

Originally Posted by 740izo6' post='506936' date='Dec 14 2007, 08:25 PM
Just Got back from the dealer $65 had the MP3 Retrofit coding and Sirius Retrofit coding done (mp3 was covered under warranty).
My car is a 4/04 Build 545i Sport 6spd with nav no CD changer (but prep' d like all US cars are) after bouncing a couple questions off some BMW Techs
and reading a E90 no prep install post I've successfully installed the Sirius tuner in the Glove Box and Put a Terk SIR-MINI (antenna) and a Terk SIR-SP (Dual Input antenna splitter) in the rear Package Shelf (under the Carpet). The tuner fits nicely in the changer location and the wiring and Most connector / power is already there wrapped up in felt tape the only parts needed from the dealer were the Sirius Tuner P/N 65 12 6 948 064 and the Fiber connector P/N 61138387214 (cost me 58 cents). The Barrel connector that's in from the factory releases the input and output fiber optic lines, turn the key on look for the one with the red light that goes in to position 1 in the 61138387214 connector and the other into spot number 2 snap in the power connector run the antenna where ever you like and take it to the dealer for the coding and it's a gone deal. call sirius with the ESN number that is displayed on screen, make sure to get the Free one year that is included in the price of the tuner.

ill post some pictures sometime tomorrow
$415 for the tuner
$.58 for the 61138387214 connector
$20 for the Terk SIR-MINI (EBAY)
$20 for the Terk SIR-SP
$65 to the dealer (also had the MP3 done under warranty)

Quick Reply: Sirius Retrofit E60 with no Prep Completed