DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Roof spoiler about to reattach to someone's windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this rep roof spoiler installed by a bodyshop using some kind of 3M glue? :thumbsdown: Fitment was good but it stayed on for only 2 weeks and now half of it became unglued!!! Does anyone have this style of spoiler and if they had success securing this down? The available conduct surface is about an inch along the spoiler so it isn't as wide as the ACS style roof spoiler, however it should work, shouldn't it? I really like this spoiler and am looking for a solution.

Thanks guys!

Roof spoiler about to reattach to someone's windshield-e60f.jpg
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

hey i have this same spoiler and i have the SAME problem.
The shop put it on with some shitty glue, the right half of it is off, it just vibrates like crazy when driving.

I bought a couple of different kinds of epoxy today, and im gonna try to reapply it.

I will let you know how it holds up. It says it has a 24hr curing period, so I'll know tomorrow night.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I have the replica ACS roof spoiler and I attached it with a 3M double sided tape. Holds strong.

- Antti -
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by G530
I've had this rep roof spoiler installed by a bodyshop using some kind of 3M glue? :thumbsdown: Fitment was good but it stayed on for only 2 weeks and now half of it became unglued!!! Does anyone have this style of spoiler and if they had success securing this down? The available conduct surface is about an inch along the spoiler so it isn't as wide as the ACS style roof spoiler, however it should work, shouldn't it? I really like this spoiler and am looking for a solution.
Thanks guys!
Attachment 112184
With 3M or SIlicone Glues issues usually are about preparation and temperature during application ,,, if the mating surfaces are not absolutely and totally clean and free of any traces of wax or other treatments and if the temps too cold there is an increased likelihood the stick will come unstuck! There are special products to remove waxes and such - I've used rubbing alcohol with some success. Windex isn't enough IMHO.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I woould not use an epoxy because that is overkill. 3m DS tape is perfect. The red one!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Thanks luigi524td, makes a lot of sense.

Hey Anzafin, you guys with the ACS ones are lucky because those have more contact surface for sticking, 3 - 4 inches? and they sit totally flat. Whereas my rep Hamann has 2 inches (max) surface for glue.

Hey FRONJONI, tonymac may have a point. epoxy could really f'up weather-strip if it doesn't work out. Let us know how it goes thou. More importantly, how it holds up in a week after at least 80 speedo on the freeway. Thanks!

Update discovery: Having hands on cleaning the spoiler contact surface made me realize there is grove along it that supposed to go 'directly' over the rear window weahter stripping. So, in retrospect, the shop made the mistake of installing it direclty on the rear glass, about a half inch lower than the weather-strip where placement was incorrect. The groves on the spoiler should be placed directly over the rear window weahter strip! This fitted so much better and could explain where they went wrong. I am 100% confident of placement now, however, I still have low confident about the type of glue used. Whether 3M double-sided tape and silicone RTV (both came with spoiler), the shop's own 3M black glass glue or others...cuz now if I have to pull it off again, it may damage the rear glass weather-srip and that will open up a new can of hoopa$$!!

Still looking for
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Contributors

just buy the red 3m double sided tape. that shytt aint going anywhere.loll
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I have the replica ACS roof spoiler and I attached it with a 3M double sided tape. Holds strong.

- Antti -

Originally Posted by tonymac
I woould not use an epoxy because that is overkill. 3m DS tape is perfect. The red one!

Originally Posted by white535xi
just buy the red 3m double sided tape. that shytt aint going anywhere.loll
I've tried 3M double sided tape " The red one" and it came off on me while on the Freeway luckly no car was hit during the flight time.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

That 3M double sided tape doesnt work at all. Mine always comes off in under 15 minutes of driving.
The problem is, the spoiler is a rep, fitment is far from perfect. You need something strong to hold it down in the places that it flexes back up.
Epoxy may be overkill, but 3M tape on the weather strip, and epoxy on the glass might be the right solution.
If not epoxy, then a silicone. I didnt get a chance to apply the epoxy this weekend, I think i might just take the whole spoiler off, sand it down, give it some porosity, and do a proper installation.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
That 3M double sided tape doesnt work at all. Mine always comes off in under 15 minutes of driving.
The problem is, the spoiler is a rep, fitment is far from perfect. You need something strong to hold it down in the places that it flexes back up.
Epoxy may be overkill, but 3M tape on the weather strip, and epoxy on the glass might be the right solution.
If not epoxy, then a silicone. I didnt get a chance to apply the epoxy this weekend, I think i might just take the whole spoiler off, sand it down, give it some porosity, and do a proper installation.
I have a rep too, but the fitment is near perfect.
I used some stuff called Goop from Autozone - stronger than silicone, not as much overkill as epoxy and will not damage paint (it can be removed with Acetone). 3M tape does not hold it alone, I actually used both.

Quick Reply: Roof spoiler about to reattach to someone's windshield