DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

resetting oil change in idrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193584' date='Nov 4 2005, 11:16 PM
Please do post the steps that you did to reset the servcie indicator. I tried it according to the instructions in this post but not successfully.

Right, I'll try and explain in detail what I did and what I saw when I was doing the Brake Fluid reset. Forgive me if the instructions seem patronising in any way but here goes:

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".

It took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get my head around it again next time.

Let me know how you get on.
Hey,
Just changed the oil by a local dealer. They couldn?t reset the "Oil change" information!! I tried this guide, without succeed ???

E61 530dA -05
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193584' date='Nov 4 2005, 01:16 PM
Please do post the steps that you did to reset the servcie indicator. I tried it according to the instructions in this post but not successfully.

Right, I'll try and explain in detail what I did and what I saw when I was doing the Brake Fluid reset. Forgive me if the instructions seem patronising in any way but here goes:

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".

It took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get my head around it again next time.

Thanks! That worked great for me!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Members

does anybody know? how take off front lens projector? i want to clean my haedlight minor inside.can anybody help me? thank you
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Hi all. My I-drive is showing as needing a brake fluid change - now showing with Red background. The thing is the instrument dashboard (above steering wheel) is still showing 3,200 miles till next service.

BMW have quoted me ?180 just to change the brake fluid, which is too much money to me. So I'm thinking I might do one of 2 things:

1. Using the instructions in this thread, reset the brake fluid interval so that it shows as due at same time as the service.
2. Ask my local (independent) BMW mechanic to change the brake fluid (I know he will be cheaper), and then reset the brake fluid interval in the i-drive.

Questions:
A. My car is under warranty till March 2009. Will the I-drive interval reset process be detectable by the dealers? thus giving them an opportunity to argue my warranty is void.
B. Is it possible to specify the interval using this reset procedure? E.g. For brake fluid change can I specifiy the interval in miles to whatever I want.........e.g. 3,000 miles or 12,000 miles etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Hi again......Can anyone help with my question above ??
Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite wood trim | Premium Package | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Sport Package | Active Steering | STEPTRONIC automatic transmission | Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades | Park Distance Control |18" Star Spoke 124 | IPod® Interface Adapter. Single CD player that plays MP3z | 5% Tint

Does holding the reset button instructions apply to 08, I tried and nothing but German stuff and the Dashboard test?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193584' date='Nov 4 2005, 01:16 PM

Hints & Tips

Kev,
Thanks for the great write up. My rear pads were just replaced and they did not reset it service reminder. I will use this procedure tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I followed Kev525's write-up and it worked without any problems. I reset my oil indicator and it honestly took less than 20 sec. after reading through his directions.

thanks again!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Using the instructions above to reset the front brake pads indicator, how long will it show as the next change being due. I know its based on the brake pad sensor, but there must be an intial default setting, say 30,000 miles or 20,000 miles.
If anyone knows please advise.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Just reset the front brake pads indicator using the instructions above.
Initially it went to -9000 miles. But then I did the procedure again, and it's now showing as 25,000 miles which sounds more reasonable.

To think the dealer was going to charge me ?20 for the scope change.

Quick Reply: resetting oil change in idrive