DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

resetting oil change in idrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i

Originally Posted by my530i' post='273623' date='Apr 25 2006, 12:34 AM
It just reset the oil change interval. Not the oil leve in i-Drive.
Sorry to dig this post up from the past, but I can't seem to access the menu. Does anyone know if BMW changed this ability? I press the odemeter reset and I can get the words in German, but I am not able to get to the service interval reset info. I have an 07 530i built in March. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
zen
Members

I have a 2006 530I and the instructions from post #23 had to be changed a little for it to work. This is the change i had to make:
In #2 of the instructions, I had to keep the reset button pressed (after the service triangle displayed) until the "brake symbol" came up after that it worked ok.

If I released the button after the triangle came up it went back to the original display.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zen' post='359076' date='Nov 22 2006, 02:46 AM
I have a 2006 530I and the instructions from post #23 had to be changed a little for it to work. This is the change i had to make:
In #2 of the instructions, I had to keep the reset button pressed (after the service triangle displayed) until the "brake symbol" came up after that it worked ok.

If I released the button after the triangle came up it went back to the original display.
In your 06, do you have the start/ stop button? I have the remote that pops in were the ignition should be, and the start/ stop button. When I pop in the remote all that gets brought up is the brake light, i drive, and the center cluster with time, miles, temp, ect. I start the vehicle reset the miles to 0 then shut it off. I then put the remote back in and push it. Then I hold down the odometer reset until the triangle with the exlamation mark in the center appears. I have then let off and pushed it again, and I have also tried to continue holding it without letting off. All I can ever get to is the writing in German showing the build date, Vin. There is also like a number 2 in German that I pushed and it did a check of the whole insturment cluster. Everything maxed out and went to zero. Freaked me out for a couple of seconds.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 AM
zen
Members

I don't have the "Start/Stop Button" but if I hold the reset in too long I also get the German menu.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zen' post='359337' date='Nov 22 2006, 08:12 PM
I don't have the "Start/Stop Button" but if I hold the reset in too long I also get the German menu.
I am wondering if BMW changed something when they started the "Start/ Stop Button" ignition? When I took in the vehicle for the Brow lights, I saw the tech access some menu through the i drive. He was able to see what CIP it had. He never touched the Odometer reset. He just used the i drive controler.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='359377' date='Nov 22 2006, 10:44 PM
I am wondering if BMW changed something when they started the "Start/ Stop Button" ignition? When I took in the vehicle for the Brow lights, I saw the tech access some menu through the i drive. He was able to see what CIP it had. He never touched the Odometer reset. He just used the i drive controler.
There is a hidden menu in I-drive. It has been discussed many times here in the past. Do a search for "secret menu" or I-drive "hidden functions" or "hacking I-drive" and you'd find what you are looking for.

Here is the process
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=255198
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

To add a little about the "State Inspection" reset:
When I bought my (2004) 530d from the Dealer, they had put the car through it's MOT (or State Inspection for Non-UK members) - even though it wasn't due for another six months. The Indicator was still showing the Inspection due in six months, rather than a year. This was easily adjusted using the iDrive only. It wasn't a reset as such, as you could put in any date! I think the instructions to do this were even in the Owners Manual, but obviously when one buys a new car, one doesn't read the manual until AFTER one has had a play with all the buttons
Old 11-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 525i,Mystic blau,bi xenon,steptronic,sunroof,inclined rear seat,black Merino leather,electric ,heated front seats with driver memory,navigator,rain sensor,head up display,active cruise control,PDC,bluethooth Sonyericsson T630 phone,134 wheels with winter tires and 138 with summer tires.

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193584' date='Nov 4 2005, 11:16 PM
Please do post the steps that you did to reset the servcie indicator. I tried it according to the instructions in this post but not successfully.
Right, I'll try and explain in detail what I did and what I saw when I was doing the Brake Fluid reset. Forgive me if the instructions seem patronising in any way but here goes:

Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost".

It took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get my head around it again next time.

Let me know how you get on.
Kev I tried this morning,took me 5 min to reset front brake pads on my 525i. Muchas gracias .you are the man!!!

George Pissiotis
Thessaloniki Greece
Old 11-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gpissio' post='359659' date='Nov 23 2006, 04:07 PM
Kev I tried this morning,took me 5 min to reset front brake pads on my 525i. Muchas gracias .you are the man!!!

George Pissiotis
Thessaloniki Greece
Geia sou Salonike

Old 11-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gpissio' post='359659' date='Nov 23 2006, 04:07 PM

George Pissiotis
Thessaloniki Greece
Geia sou Salonike

...double post sorry

Quick Reply: resetting oil change in idrive