DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Resetting Engine Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
I recently changed out the spark plugs in my 2004 530i. After I finished, I decided to investigate an engine whistling noise that has been plaguing me since I bought the car. A few months back my local dealer changed out the throttlebody assembly and since the noise was still present afterward, referred to the noise as being normal and part of the engine's design. A "venturi effect" was what they described it as. They refused to look at it any further. To sum things up I removed all of the intake cleaner box and pipework up to the throttlebody to inspect it for cracks. With nothing evident I decided to start the engine with these items removed. Sure enough, the whistling sound was coming from the throttlebody. Now that I know there is nothing that can be done I may finally be able to live with the annoying sound.

When I put everything back together and fired up the car I had the check engine light on the instrument cluster and a warning on i-drive stating to see the nearest dealer for service. This fault code was from the disconnected mass air flow sensor earlier. I searched on the internet for a way to reset the code but could not find anything. I was nearly ready to take it to the dealer to get the code cleared when I remembered the 25s fix for a rough shifting transmission. I decided to give it a try. Engine off. Gas pedal held to the floor. Key turned to ignition but not start. Wait 25-30 secs. After I did that and started the car, the check engine/error message was cleared. It seems the 25s fix not only clears the adaptation values but it also clears any engine troublecodes as well. I'm sure the dealer wouldn't be willing to share this information.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

Originally Posted by henny' post='1005225' date='Sep 11 2009, 08:06 PM
I recently changed out the spark plugs in my 2004 530i. After I finished, I decided to investigate an engine whistling noise that has been plaguing me since I bought the car. A few months back my local dealer changed out the throttlebody assembly and since the noise was still present afterward, referred to the noise as being normal and part of the engine's design. A "venturi effect" was what they described it as. They refused to look at it any further. To sum things up I removed all of the intake cleaner box and pipework up to the throttlebody to inspect it for cracks. With nothing evident I decided to start the engine with these items removed. Sure enough, the whistling sound was coming from the throttlebody. Now that I know there is nothing that can be done I may finally be able to live with the annoying sound.

When I put everything back together and fired up the car I had the check engine light on the instrument cluster and a warning on i-drive stating to see the nearest dealer for service. This fault code was from the disconnected mass air flow sensor earlier. I searched on the internet for a way to reset the code but could not find anything. I was nearly ready to take it to the dealer to get the code cleared when I remembered the 25s fix for a rough shifting transmission. I decided to give it a try. Engine off. Gas pedal held to the floor. Key turned to ignition but not start. Wait 25-30 secs. After I did that and started the car, the check engine/error message was cleared. It seems the 25s fix not only clears the adaptation values but it also clears any engine troublecodes as well. I'm sure the dealer wouldn't be willing to share this information.
BTW how many kms did you have when you changed the plugs ?
I just did mine at 90,000 kms - I also have a 2004 530i.
Do/will you still be taking your car back to the dealer for servicing - I'm trying to find a good independant shop in around Toronto?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Technik1' post='1005354' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:20 PM
BTW how many kms did you have when you changed the plugs ?
I just did mine at 90,000 kms - I also have a 2004 530i.
Do/will you still be taking your car back to the dealer for servicing - I'm trying to find a good independant shop in around Toronto?
Around 86,000 kms. It was a piece of cake on this inline 6.
I try to do most of the maintenance myself. If there is a warranty issue I bring it back to Durham BMW in Ajax. I still have the remainder of the CPO warranty left.
Durham BMW seems reasonable with labor charges. They charged me a 1/2 hour to retrofit bluetooth software and 1 hour to retrofit sirius in i-drive. Not too bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

whaaat? really? cool, nice find!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

does this trick will work on any models ? years ? and automatic too ?