DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the Trim From The Dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Guys:

I've finally mustered the courage to pull off my trim, take it to the paint shop, and get a ruthenium pearl finish that matches the "silver" of the steering trim. I need directions on how to take the trim off... I'm not messing with the doors, paint shop will try to do those as is with tape/cover, etc...

Need simple DIY to pull off the trim for now! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

looking for this as well..
Old 03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Have a look at my thread at

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35624

This should be enough to get you started!!

Don't worry about the doors - the panels come off easily once you know how!!

Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

See Here for the Center Dash Removal:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5650

Mike....thanks for the door instructions but really, I am still very worried about taking the door apart. You sure it took you thirty mins first time around???? I think that's pretty nifty. Also, can you perhaps write a bulletin point by point/step-by-step process out for the doors. I love your text and it makes for great reading but in situations like these, you need your hand held as you walk in the dark for the first process.

LASTLY...how the heck does the ash tray cover come off the center console???? Need to get that done as well! I am looking at paint colors. Anyone ever painted theirs? I love the ruthenium pearl look but dunno the exact codes for the paints, process for priming, etc.....

Thanks for your help.....
Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='545415' date='Mar 15 2008, 07:13 PM
See Here for the Center Dash Removal:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5650

Mike....thanks for the door instructions but really, I am still very worried about taking the door apart. You sure it took you thirty mins first time around???? I think that's pretty nifty. Also, can you perhaps write a bulletin point by point/step-by-step process out for the doors. I love your text and it makes for great reading but in situations like these, you need your hand held as you walk in the dark for the first process.

LASTLY...how the heck does the ash tray cover come off the center console???? Need to get that done as well! I am looking at paint colors. Anyone ever painted theirs? I love the ruthenium pearl look but dunno the exact codes for the paints, process for priming, etc.....

Thanks for your help.....
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

when taking out the center iDrive shifter area,

First take out the shifter knob with a hard jolt up wards do not twist (some members say you have a chance of breaking your nose so keep first aid kit handy)
Then Slowly pull the leather shift cover with two hands upwards around the sides you will see the plastic beneath it will come out very softly and easily.
After taking the leather cover pull the gear selector base by pulling them towards you, it has 5 clips surrounding it, no need to pry with screwdriver, just pull it out
Unplug the transmission wire and put aside the shifter base
You will see two screws , un screw them
Pull out the iDrive knob
Now take a flat head screw driver with taped tip so you dont damage the trim, and pry around the base of the trim, do not push too much as you might bend the shape
The two clips at the rear end near the Idrive knob are a bitch to open up, just take your time and slowly pry them and you will hear clicks

You should be fine now, hope you do a great job like andy545's car..... I will do my center console air con area paint next week.....
Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

From Lomaq's and snkpkp's write up's you should be OK with the dash and centre trims. One point though, although I used the same method as Lomaq to get the centre trim out, according to the BMW TIS, you can put a long screwdriver down from each side of the iDrive screen to release the clips at the bottom of the trim panel. The next time I take the trim off, I am going to have a go and see if its any easier. This will probably be next month, as I am going to try out Bruce Miranda's AUX input to the radio modification.

As for the ashtray cover, it has been a while since I took it off, but there are four lugs that slide in and out of the ashtray cover holder. The cover holder is screwed to the trim round the gear lever, and comes out with it. With the trim out, remove the cover holder and the cover will just slide out for replacement.

I'll have a go at remembering the door panel procedure and let you have it.

Mike
Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Members

OK Gents, for the door panels:

This is from memory - which isn't as good as it used to be, what with the onset of old age, senility etc!!

Disconnect the battery. Use the earth/negative/black wire. If you do remove the positive, take off the terminal at the battery post, not at the end of the cable as the bit between the battery terminal and the cable is an explosive device in case of severe shorts in an accident. Frightened? Don't be!

Open the first door for surgery.
Pop out the footwell/puddle light with a screwdriver or fingernail. Unplug and keep in a safe place.
Lever out the "Airbag" emblem with a screwdriver - it has tabs on it, so it won't drop. Undo the Torx screw that you have just uncovered.
Locate the small plastic screw cover on the forward edge of the (front) door - the rears have more than one screw I think. Lever off the cover. Lever at the top of the cover, rather than the base as it causes less damage to the cover if you do it like that. Undo the screw.
With either a BMW special tool, or your trusty screwdriver, lever between the trim panel and the door edge, which will cause the panel clips to pop out. These may break, but if you are in the warmer climes, then you should be OK. According to the TIS, there should be nine round the bottom and sides of the panel.
You will now have a flappy panel.
Lift the panel upwards. The panel is secured by some metal friction clips along the top of the door frame. It will be a fiddle to get the panel past the finisher at the front of the door, but it will go without damage. The act of lifting upwards will also release the centre clip, which is behind the armrest part.
Before you go much further, undo the wires to the speakers, door switches and the airbag. the airbag connector will need a squeeze before you can pull it out. All plugs are unique and cannot be put in the wrong way apart from the tweeter plug, which can go either way. Mark it.
To release the door handle, pull the lever, as if to open the door, then flick up the white clip and lift out the operating cable.
You can then retire to a safe place to remove the handles.
Rest the door panel on something soft, exposing the rear of the panel.
Remove the two nuts holding the metal mounting plate. Whilst you're at it, remove the black plastic clip from the door panel (it slides out) and replace it on the metal mounting plate - make sure it is the right way up! although I think it will only go one way. You will need a pair of pipe plier to squeeze the metal clips on the door to allow the black plastic to come off.
Remove the three (four on the rear I think) small nuts that hold on the trim. The studs for these are only mounted in the soft plastic of the door trim, and the plastic does tend to break easily. As you initially undo each nut, get a pair of pliers on the top of the stud to hold the stud steady whilst you turn the nut. The nuts have locking resin on them, but once they move, they will come off easily. The top of each stud isn't threaded, so you won't damage threads with the pliers.
Turn the door panel over and remove the handle complete with trim. The trim will slide off the door handle - ease it over the clip at the top edge of the handle. The handle will slide down the trim by about half an inch, and then you can lift it off. Sometimes there is resin between the trim and handle, so you will have to ease that apart with a sharp knife first.

Replacement is the reverse of assembly, apart from the centre panel clip, which came off with an upward movement. As the clip is now on the panel, you can push downwards on the door panel to engage the clips on top of the door frame, but then push the panel at the armrest to engage the centre clip.
To connect the door handle, just pull the lever and slot in the cable.

The rear doors are similar, just the positioning of the screws and a couple of extra screws.

Once you have done one, then the other three will take hardly any time at all!!

Attached are the relevant pages from the TIS to give you an insight, and probably explain it better than I can do!

Have fun!

Mike

replacing_inside_handle_on_left_or_right_front_door.pdf
RA__Removing_and_installing_left_or_right_front_door_trim_panel.pdf
Old 03-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

It sounds a lot harder than it really is. the only problem I ran into was the factory put super glue on the rear door trim at one of clips where it attaches to the handle. First one I was able to break off the super glue without breaking anything else, other side I broke that one tab. No biggie, though, as that tab is one of two that keeps the trim on the grab handle and the remaining clip is more than sufficient to do the job, especially once you screw the assembly back onto the door panel.

One thing to note: The clips that hold the door panel to the door have these small rubber gromits. Make sure you replace any that fall off during disassembly. They probably don't do much but I'm a picky b*strd that way.

-felix
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Guys:

Thanks for the excellent posts! I have my work cut out for me. OK -- so starting with the center console and dash first. Once I get those done, heading to the body shop to work on paint schemes. Methinks glossy piano black is best with an orient blue, black leather interior but will try sparkling graphite as my paint guy thinks that would shimmer nicely, esp in the daylight and when the interior lights are on...

Will keep you guys posted. As for the doors, once I get the center console painted and remounted, will get to cracking on them. I know I'm gonna want to do them if the center looks good so it's a matter of time..

Why the #$*& couldn't you just pry off those little trim pieces dammit????

Quick Reply: Removing the Trim From The Dash