DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear Seat Backrest Removal Help! 2006 530i

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've read many threads and pdfs on this subject but cannot seem to apply them to the rear seat back removal for my 2006 530i. Can someone provide directions on how to do this?

Thus far, I've been able to remove the rear seat cushion.
Taken out the head rests and tried to pull the sides out like the cushion but it won't give.
I don't have the fold down seat, just the basic
The back rest appears to be one piece like the cushion.

Questions: does the middle arm rest have to be removed?
There appears to be emergency release actuators accessible in the rear cargo area? Is this what holds the back rest in place? I've tried to push them outwards but they're stuck. I've heard someone say that you need to stick a screwdriver in there but it doesn't appear to accept it. Is there specific instructions on this step?

Any help would be appreciated? My supposed 3 hour job is taking 1 day now.

Cheers
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Did you look at the following post?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=139338
Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

what are you trying to achieve..?
if you just need to feed cables you can push under back rest there is a 3/5mm gap .
the back rest is held by screws in armrest cover release screws lift upward the plastic insert,
remove side seat trims and you will see a screw at base of seat this is infact a hinge ,release with screwdriver both sides a cable and catch arrangement push towars centre of car.back will then fold down towars middle of car.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by hkfcheung' post='532697' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:57 AM
I've read many threads and pdfs on this subject but cannot seem to apply them to the rear seat back removal for my 2006 530i. Can someone provide directions on how to do this?

Thus far, I've been able to remove the rear seat cushion.
Taken out the head rests and tried to pull the sides out like the cushion but it won't give.
I don't have the fold down seat, just the basic
The back rest appears to be one piece like the cushion.

Questions: does the middle arm rest have to be removed?
There appears to be emergency release actuators accessible in the rear cargo area? Is this what holds the back rest in place? I've tried to push them outwards but they're stuck. I've heard someone say that you need to stick a screwdriver in there but it doesn't appear to accept it. Is there specific instructions on this step?

Any help would be appreciated? My supposed 3 hour job is taking 1 day now.

Cheers
I have done this myself and I feel your pain. I assume that you have non fold down seats right? Well think of it like this, your back seat latches in at the top just like my 60/40 seat does. The difference is that I have release handles in the trunk and you do not. You need to manually ( screw driver or pick ) release the spring loaded latches located behind your seat in the trunk. Crawl in the trunk on your back and look up where the latches are ( do not remove the torx bolts for the latch ) and look for the lever that has the spring on it. You need to move it away from the spring about 1/4 inch to release the back seat. Thats it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Members

thanks for everyone's reply. It's so good to know that there's a bunch of people out there willing to help. Unfortunately, the forum content is sometimes difficult to understand or not 100% applicable as described. In any event, I've been able to successfully remove the back seat rest using information gathered through various threads. I'll definitely post some pics as this will always help future requestors.

The problem I had was in understanding that a simple screwdriver needed to be placed in the spring latch just needs to be turned inwards. In addition, the seat belt buckles need to be removed from the bottom of the back rest.

thanks everyone!

Project: rear cam retrofit and need to run wiring harness through to the front. next step: taking off the door foot trim

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='532956' date='Feb 19 2008, 01:06 AM
I have done this myself and I feel your pain. I assume that you have non fold down seats right? Well think of it like this, your back seat latches in at the top just like my 60/40 seat does. The difference is that I have release handles in the trunk and you do not. You need to manually ( screw driver or pick ) release the spring loaded latches located behind your seat in the trunk. Crawl in the trunk on your back and look up where the latches are ( do not remove the torx bolts for the latch ) and look for the lever that has the spring on it. You need to move it away from the spring about 1/4 inch to release the back seat. Thats it.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Members

Did you happen to take pictures and post them somewhere?

Same thing.. first time, hesitant in just applying force, and the material is confusing ... I also have the non folding seats
Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by umermariner
Did you happen to take pictures and post them somewhere?

Same thing.. first time, hesitant in just applying force, and the material is confusing ... I also have the non folding seats
See if this has anything you can use:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/108...heat-retrofit/

That latch is not about force. It is about leverage and knowing which way to twist. I have done it multiple times and each time feels like the first