5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   rear foglight activation (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/rear-foglight-activation-119029/)

jkhatri 11-19-2011 06:29 AM

Downloaded BMW standard tools which updated my EDIABAS. Got updated Daten files E60_v40. Can write to all the modules now and successfully coded most of the commonly mentioned mods.
Can't activate the rear fogs despite having the euro headlight switch. Apparently not a coding issue as nothing I changed in the LMA module would work. The E6x must be just like the E70; they both use the identical headlight switch and require position 9 from the headlight switch harness to be wired to position 33 of the LCM in the case of the E6x. Does anyone know how to access the LCM in an E6x and if so what type of wire connectors this mod would require?

jkhatri 11-19-2011 06:20 PM

Just coded my front and rear fog lights to activate as welcome lights!!! :dance: Took apart the headlight switch wiring harness and confirmed that position 9 is empty. Need to run a wire from harness to LCM in order for the euro headlight switch to operate the rear fogs. Do you guys know if there is a BMW part number for this type of wiring repair? Anyone replaced there LCM and can share where it is and how to get to it? :notworthy:

jkhatri 11-19-2011 06:30 PM

If anyone else is interested all you have to do is code the LMA module with NCS Expert.

WL_NSL (rear fog welcome light)
nicht_aktiv to soft_einschalten

WL_NSW (front fog welcome light)
nicht aktiv to soft_einschalten

BlaSTiWi 11-19-2011 07:14 PM

If you use the search function extensively you'll find various coding stuff in particular 'bout Welcome Light, i.e.:

http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1263435

In case you still looking ... LMA module is located by the driver side kick panel near top corner of the foot rest.

:welcome: to the forum!

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1400575)
If anyone else is interested all you have to do is code the LMA module with NCS Expert.

WL_NSL (rear fog welcome light)
nicht_aktiv to soft_einschalten

WL_NSW (front fog welcome light)
nicht aktiv to soft_einschalten

jkhatri 11-19-2011 08:03 PM

Thank you!
Do you think local BMW parts dept will know what type of wire connector I need to pop into the wire harness?

nomis_nehc 11-19-2011 11:20 PM

You can probably find the part number on realoem.

jay8s 11-21-2011 11:21 AM

Ok so let me get this straight. I need the euro switch, a wire from the switch to the light control module, and someone to code it on for me.

Anyone have the step by step for the wiring, as well as know anyone in the midwest that would code it. This and folding mirrors are the only two retros that I want to do.
jay8s

jkhatri 11-21-2011 03:52 PM

No coding required to activate rear fogs. Need to run a wire from the euro switch to the lcm. Coding only needed to use fogs as welcome lights; no wiring required. Waiting for my wire connectors to arrive. Will post photos after thanksgiving if no one else does sooner.

jay8s 11-21-2011 06:34 PM

That is great to hear. Pics of install would be fantastic!

lcc014 11-22-2011 07:43 AM

Great to know that, I do like this mod to have rear fog light in E60 as in my Volvo 850.

jkhatri 11-29-2011 08:09 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Got the rear fogs activated. No coding required. All you have to do is run a wire from position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness to position 33 on the LCM. [url="http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg/sp/SP0000025822.svg?m=e60"]

Need Euro headlight switch (Has a button for the rear fog light), some wire, and 2 pin connectors. BMW part # 61130006663. [url="http://realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=61130006663"]

Step 1: I soldered the pin connectors to some 18g wire I had laying around the house. Total length about 36 inches. Attachment 128614

Step 2: Remove the pedal trim panel in the driver's foot well. The trim panel has a light and speaker that need to be disconnected to free up the panel. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/52"]
There are 5 screws holding this panel in place. 4 screws are obvious; the 5th one is hidden behind a carpeted trim piece along the driver's side of the center console. Wedge a flat screwdriver between the plastic and carpeted trim piece and rotate the screwdriver to push the carpeted strip backwards to expose the screw. Attachment 128616

Step 3: Remove the original headlight switch by gently prying out and disconnect the wiring harness. This harness has to be disassembled by inserting a small flat screwdriver into this slot to expose the pin connectors. Attachment 128615

Step 4: Identify position 9 on the headlight switch wiring harness and insert one end of your spliced wire connector. It is a perfect fit. Attachment 128617

Step 5: Carefully route the other end of your spliced wire connector through dashboard to the LCM in the footwell.

Step 6: Remove the LCM. [url="http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/63/66"]

Step 7: Disassemble the LCM wiring harness. There is a blue and brown subassembly. Identify position 33 on the blue subassembly and insert the other end of your spliced wire connector. Attachment 128618 The connector I bought is not quite right; it has a little flange that you will have to fold over with a pair of pliers. It locks in securely despite this modification. Finally reassemble the LCM wiring harness and reinstall the LCM.

Step 8: Secure the wire to avoid rattles and reassemble the trim panel and install the Euro headlight switch after reassembling the wiring harness.

Step 9: Enjoy your results!!!
Attachment 128620
Attachment 128619

jay8s 11-30-2011 06:25 AM

Now that is what I am talking bout!!!

This is now back on top of my list of things to do this winter to the car. Can ya grab some shots of the whole rear end of the car with the fogs on please.

Off to ebay to find the switch as cheap as I can.

syrousd 11-30-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jay8s (Post 1402821)
Now that is what I am talking bout!!!

This is now back on top of my list of things to do this winter to the car. Can ya grab some shots of the whole rear end of the car with the fogs on please.

Off to ebay to find the switch as cheap as I can.

Let us now if you had any luck finding the switch!!!!

BlaSTiWi 11-30-2011 05:08 PM

Well done OP! :thumbsup: ... there's nothin' beat the OEM retrofit like the OP did.

Can you also post up the pic of the replacement Euro headlight switch too ... tkx!

Alternatively ... due to the Euro headlight switch availability and/or cost you can do:

1) Hard wired pin #33 (rear fog) w/ pin #34 (front fog) together on the LCM plug so when you turn on the fog both front & rear lit up together. I've been using it this way for a long time as I only turn my fogs on during inclement weather.

2) Add you own switch to the alternative #1 above so you have more control for the rear fog in case you like to use the front fog independently.

... of course if you feel adventurous ... :D GL!

jay8s 11-30-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 1402948)
Well done OP! :thumbsup: ... there's nothin' beat the OEM retrofit like the OP did.

Can you also post up the pic of the replacement Euro headlight switch too ... tkx!

Alternatively ... due to the Euro headlight switch availability and/or cost you can do:

1) Hard wired pin #33 (rear fog) w/ pin #34 (front fog) together on the LCM plug so when you turn on the fog both front & rear lit up together. I've been using it this way for a long time as I only turn my fogs on during inclement weather.

2) Add you own switch to the alternative #1 above so you have more control for the rear fog in case you like to use the front fog independently.

Ooooo that is a nice alternative to the switch until I get one. It doesn't throw any errors?

vkhong 12-01-2011 05:23 AM

I like (1). Same for the E60 LCI and pre-LCI? Is this the LCM plug you are referring to (item 1)? Can you offer details on the actual method of connecting a jumper wire to pins 33 and 34?
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/images/1/11/62/20.jpg
From: BMW TIS - 61 35 285 Removing and installing (replacing) light module

jkhatri 12-01-2011 05:26 AM

Here's a link to a picture of the euro switch. They want $160.

http://euroactiveparts.com/bmw-oem-e...ontrol-switch/

I got mine from a scrap yard for 80euros when on vacation in Europe last summer. Could try ebay.de for a similar deal.

BlaSTiWi 12-01-2011 07:35 AM

Hey Victor,

Yes that's the LCM module (upper left driver footrest) ... what you need is find a compatible wired plug to insert into slot #33 of the LCM blue plug (like on pic #7) then use some sort of wire tap-in to splice into wire that goes to pin #34 ... just make sure you do the tapping outside the white wire loom cover 'cuz not enough room inside it. When the time come you can either undo the wire tap to pin #34 and just extend the wire from pin #33 to the headlight switch or replace the tap w/ you own switch.

GL!

Originally Posted by vkhong (Post 1403034)
I like (1). Same for the E60 LCI and pre-LCI? Is this the LCM plug you are referring to (item 1)? Can you offer details on the actual method of connecting a jumper wire to pins 33 and 34?
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/images/1/11/62/20.jpg
From: BMW TIS - 61 35 285 Removing and installing (replacing) light module

jay8s 12-01-2011 07:44 AM

OffT~VKhong another StLer are you by chance going to the STLBMWCCA cars and coffee the 17th?

OnT That was going to be my next question, is it best to tap inside or outside the big white loom. Looks like the car is having some minor surgery this weekend. I have all the parts I need.

As to the switch. I have contacted some junkyards in Sweden about some of their online sales. They want about 70 US to get a switch to me. I am going to see what I can do about getting more this way.

jay8s 12-01-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1403035)
Here's a link to a picture of the euro switch. They want $160.

http://euroactiveparts.com/bmw-oem-e...ontrol-switch/

I got mine from a scrap yard for 80euros when on vacation in Europe last summer. Could try ebay.de for a similar deal.

That is an LCI switch. PreLCI needs the whole trim piece.

vkhong 12-01-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jay8s (Post 1403054)
That is an LCI switch. PreLCI needs the whole trim piece.

The switches are different depending on options: Xenon, HUD, NightVision, Rain Sensor. Make sure you're getting the right switch. Check RealOEM under Euro vehicles.

I plan on attending the St Louis winter Cars & Coffee.

jay8s 12-01-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by vkhong (Post 1403056)
The switches are different depending on options: Xenon, HUD, NightVision, Rain Sensor. Make sure you're getting the right switch. Check RealOEM under Euro vehicles.

Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button.

vkhong 12-01-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jay8s (Post 1403061)
Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button.

Agree. The switch and switch trim is best ordered together.

jay8s 12-01-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by vkhong (Post 1403056)

Yes but you cannot take the switch out and replace it with that, because there are no holes for the new rear fog light button. see this pic no hole.

jay8s 12-01-2011 05:15 PM

Wow that is tight in there. I went to check it out tonight, and am a connector away from rear fogs. Hope to have it done tomorrow night. I think that I will be unwrapping the wire bunch to try to get some more room in there.

jkhatri 12-01-2011 05:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Apparently the E6x and E70 use the same headlight switch with different trim pieces. Here's my switch which came with the appropriate trim piece from a German E60.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3535_thumb.jpg

Here's a full view of the rear as requested.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3622_thumb.jpg

lcc014 12-02-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1403229)
Apparently the E6x and E70 use the same headlight switch with different trim pieces. Here's my switch which came with the appropriate trim piece from a German E60.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3535_thumb.jpg

Here's a full view of the rear as requested.
https://5series.net/forums/uploads/m...3622_thumb.jpg

Will the headlight switch fit 2004/2005 E60 ? The one sold in EuroActive was only for 2008 - 2010 E60.

Thanks,

jay8s 12-03-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by lcc014 (Post 1403502)
Will the headlight switch fit 2004/2005 E60 ? The one sold in EuroActive was only for 2008 - 2010 E60.

Thanks,

The switch is the same, but you will need the trim that surrounds it.

Just got mine wired up. I just stuck a wire into the blue connector, I did not use the BMW connector. I left enough wire to add my own switch later, but currently have it wire inline with the front fogs. Pics on my sedan later today.

usmabmass 12-06-2011 12:15 AM

i would advise against this - while lots of people drive with their front fogs on and it's no big deal at all, rear fog lights are very distracting and annoying when they are not ESSENTIAL due to road conditions or used as a signal. i live in germany and find it really annoying when people drive with rear fogs on just because of rain or something - they are as bright as brake lights, and they're not something that a rear view mirror can get rid of and feels like someone is driving with their brights on at you all the time :P

stick with just wiring a separate button for the rear fogs... it's just plain annoying if you drive with them on all the time.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm advising against having one button that turns on both front and rear fogs. actually enabling your rear fogs with its own dedicated button is a great mod!

jkhatri 12-06-2011 04:43 AM

Aside from the obvious dense fog scenario, which its quite rare where I live, are there other appropriate situations to use rear fogs? I had intended to use them during heavy rain and snow storms where visibility is limited.

BlaSTiWi 12-06-2011 05:11 AM

I know ... if you read toward the end of my post on point #1 ... I do NOT drive w/ my fog (front or rear) on around unless the weather is bad :getlost: ...

I also stated that what the OP did is the way to go using the OEM way w/ proper dual-button, but since the button is not available here in the US there's an alternate (rather than driving around w/ your emergency flasher on to make your vehicle visible to the others) but yes I agree w/ you about the use as my method is not for a careless use.

Finally, in my post I suggested point #2, still an alternate to the real OEM solution w/ factory dual-button to use make-your-own switch.

Originally Posted by usmabmass (Post 1404202)
i would advise against this - while lots of people drive with their front fogs on and it's no big deal at all, rear fog lights are very distracting and annoying when they are not ESSENTIAL due to road conditions or used as a signal. i live in germany and find it really annoying when people drive with rear fogs on just because of rain or something - they are as bright as brake lights, and they're not something that a rear view mirror can get rid of and feels like someone is driving with their brights on at you all the time :P

stick with just wiring a separate button for the rear fogs... it's just plain annoying if you drive with them on all the time.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm advising against having one button that turns on both front and rear fogs. actually enabling your rear fogs with its own dedicated button is a great mod!

jay8s 12-06-2011 06:00 AM

I agree that it is annoying when they are used improperly. I will be adding the second switch in lue of the factory switch until I can find one that will make it look factory. I did this Saturday and have not had them on but once to look at them in a window to see just how bright they really are.

As to conditions, I agree with your usage OP. We have had some spring frog stranglers that have required flashers at 10 mph just to be seen.

Forgot to post pics... coming up..

usmabmass 12-06-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi (Post 1404225)
I know ... if you read toward the end of my post on point #1 ... I do NOT drive w/ my fog (front or rear) on around unless the weather is bad :getlost: ...

I also stated that what the OP did is the way to go using the OEM way w/ proper dual-button, but since the button is not available here in the US there's an alternate (rather than driving around w/ your emergency flasher on to make your vehicle visible to the others) but yes I agree w/ you about the use as my method is not for a careless use.

Finally, in my post I suggested point #2, still an alternate to the real OEM solution w/ factory dual-button to use make-your-own switch.

i didn't mean to insinuate that i thought YOU were wrong - i just wanted to point it out for people who DO always drive with their fogs on and wouldn't care to consider that the rears would be on as well. which is like 80% of people that have fogs on their car :P

usmabmass 12-06-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1404223)
Aside from the obvious dense fog scenario, which its quite rare where I live, are there other appropriate situations to use rear fogs? I had intended to use them during heavy rain and snow storms where visibility is limited.

aside from that, they are good for signalling, i think. since the brake light doesn't come on it appears more like an actual signal instead of just applying the brakes.

lcc014 12-06-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1404223)

I used my Volvo's rear fog light in heavy rain and snow storms days. Other than those, not use it at all.

Thanks,

bobr2001 12-11-2011 08:32 PM

i have v5 of bruce's cable for my euro lci rear lights. will this diy work with that set up?

jay8s 12-12-2011 10:15 AM

It depends on if Bruce's cables have the wire in them for the rears to work. I would think that they would have them, given what I know about them, but I am not 100% sure.

tonyb635 12-17-2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by jkhatri (Post 1400456)
Downloaded BMW standard tools which updated my EDIABAS. Got updated Daten files E60_v40. Can write to all the modules now and successfully coded most of the commonly mentioned mods.
Can't activate the rear fogs despite having the euro headlight switch. Apparently not a coding issue as nothing I changed in the LMA module would work. The E6x must be just like the E70; they both use the identical headlight switch and require position 9 from the headlight switch harness to be wired to position 33 of the LCM in the case of the E6x. Does anyone know how to access the LCM in an E6x and if so what type of wire connectors this mod would require?

Why do you want to activate the rear fogs? If you do you might be tempted to turn them on when just driving around and if I come up behind you I would be bright lighting you! lol In Germany they will pull you over and give you a ticket if they are on when they are not allowed to be... They are bright and annoying when you are behind people who have them on just because they want to.

jkhatri 12-17-2011 09:27 AM

Low visibility driving conditions are not unique to Europe. I feel more secure with my rear fogs on during typical Cleveland blizzards. BMW USA disables rear fogs assuming that most American drivers will use them irresponsibly. Yet other importers such as Volvo, Porsche, Audi and Jag/LR give Americans the benefit of the doubt. That being said, seeing an Audi with its rear fogs blazing on a clear night is not rare. I suspect that most drivers aren't even aware of this feature. Another unlikely culprit is the Oldsmobile Aurora, probably the only domestic car with standard rear fogs. I wonder how these decisions are made, particularly by penny pinching GM product planners?

bobr2001 02-24-2012 09:06 PM

so is this DIY for LCI only? when I checked my pre-LCI E60 the LCM is white not blue like in the photos. any ideas to do a pre LCI?