DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear Camera Retrofit Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

So after a few days of pain, I finally installed the OEM rear camera retrofit. Everything went well with the installation except for one thing.....the rear camera doesn't engage when the shifter is put into "R". Per the instructions (see attachement), there is no required coding and the rear camera image is supposed to display immediately on the CID if everything is hooked up properly. I suspect that everything is hooked up properly since the CID still works as normal with the LVDS connected.

Troubleshooting efforts:

Confirmed that the back light is working and current is active on the yellow/white wire (using a current tester)

Anyone know what this problem might be?
Does anyone have access to ASAP (aftersales assistance portal)?

After all the sore fingers and hours, I'd really like to see this thing in action.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_Rear_Camera_Retrofit.pdf (932.1 KB, 716 views)
Old 02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Sorry for saying this but didn't you just waste a lot of money with this instead of going in for the ACM unit and then any after market camera.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Members

I don't know much about cameras and didn't wanted to test the waters. I'm also a little paranoid with warranty so I went with OEM. It looks nice since the camera is integrated into the handle. I don't mind the price if it would only work.
Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='535121' date='Feb 23 2008, 07:05 PM
Sorry for saying this but didn't you just waste a lot of money with this instead of going in for the ACM unit and then any after market camera.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

Originally Posted by hkfcheung' post='535127' date='Feb 24 2008, 01:19 AM
I don't know much about cameras and didn't wanted to test the waters. I'm also a little paranoid with warranty so I went with OEM. It looks nice since the camera is integrated into the handle. I don't mind the price if it would only work.
I had the same issue and received an updated wiring system form Munich (after placing many calls). The wiring that comes with the kit is not correct (at least in my case). I am not sure if I still have the diagram but i'll look it up.

Or has it been solved in the mean time ?

Midget
Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by hkfcheung' post='535127' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:19 AM
The ACM is an OEM kit.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Members

Hey!
I'm sad to say the issue hasn't been resolved. I've been trying to get access to After Sales assistance portal (ASAP) help but haven't been successful.
If you can provide me with the details (ie. how do I get the updated wiring kit)? I'm contemplating removing the camera/handle and sending it back under warranty but from what you say, it doesn't sound like a problem with the device.

I appreciate any additional info! There's still hope that this will work.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Midget' post='537778' date='Feb 29 2008, 11:33 AM
I had the same issue and received an updated wiring system form Munich (after placing many calls). The wiring that comes with the kit is not correct (at least in my case). I am not sure if I still have the diagram but i'll look it up.

Or has it been solved in the mean time ?

Midget
Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

I found the document !

Hope this helps....

Midget
Attached Files
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Midget' post='540528' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:42 PM
I found the document !

Hope this helps....

Midget

Hi, have you also an information about the the BMW Part Number of the Rear Camera (only the Cam)?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Members

Cool

Thanks Midget!

Funny thing happened yesterday morning....the camera started working. That's the good news. The bad news is it was very brief indicating a flaw in the connection somewhere. With some troubleshooting, I've confirmed the problem area to be the area between the control module (the black box with the purple wire in the ppt) and the end of the rear view wiring harness.
This is consistent with my diagnosis earlier. The camera is working but I will need to have:
  • the rear view wiring harness replaced
  • the control module replaced
I'm trying to have these items sent back to me before I get started on the job to remove the wiring harness which was a big deal to install...removing seats, etc.

Thanks for trying to help!
Originally Posted by Midget' post='540528' date='Mar 6 2008, 06:42 AM
I found the document !

Hope this helps....

Midget
Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Members

Based on the part list for the rearview camera retrofit, it's 0407000

Originally Posted by swirly101' post='540603' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:34 PM
Hi, have you also an information about the the BMW Part Number of the Rear Camera (only the Cam)?

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Retrofit Help